Waddaya think...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Pieter

Waddaya think...

Post by Pieter »

foliar nematodes?

This is on a plantaginea 'Venus' I picked up yesterday and I'm thinking that maybe I made the wrong choice. I went for the one with the highest number of shoots, should I have gone for the one without any blemishes?
Attachments
P5050196.jpg
P5050196.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Absolutely not. WAY too early to show any signs of nematode damage. This is most likely frost damage. :frosty:
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Phew....what a relief....thanks for piping in, HD.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Pieter, I usually choose the one with the healthiest looking roots, even if I have to pop them out of the pot to give a peak at them. Blemishes are temporary. Fattest eyes, multiple eyes, biggest roots . . . . what fun buying new hosta. :D
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I'll have to keep that in mind, Mary Ann. I tend to look for the highest number of shoots because I keep division in mind for later in the season. I have never actually popped a plant out if its pot to check the roots. I would think the nursery owners might ask what the blazes you think you're doing, but, I don't know, firm, healthy roots out of a drain hole are good enough for me, wouldn't you say so?

And yes, buying new Hostas IS fun, particularly when you hadn't planned on buying any :D "Oh my, look at what they got, dear... we just gotta have this." (Thank goodness we both like digging in the dirt, though I must admit I'm Giboshi-san at our place, at least my DW calls me Mr. Hosta at our weekly plant sale.)
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply