Mush

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Mush

Post by nanny_56 »

Just went out to check on my Guacamole & Paridise Power for any signs and they where just mush!! WAAAA

I just planted these 6 weeks ago. So not happy. Won't buy from that place again! Local hosta farm located next county over. ARRGH!

Guess I'll be adding to my order with Chris!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

That is what OC found out

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D Ccan't go wrong with Hallson's. Is it possible they froze and might come back ?? Sure hope so..OC feeling your pain...........
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

May be southern blight.. try to dig them up and if they have soft parts, cut it out and let them dry up for a few days, then replant.

Yoou had a unusual warm periode and if it came from a greenhouse it could have been too damp and warm.. coursing the soft parts

You are right, you can bye from Hallsons.. do it :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Yes, my bad! The Moonlight Sonota & Queen Josephine I got fom Chris are all unfurled and beautiful. I think it was our cold snap that did them in. :(

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
ademink

Post by ademink »

Definitely dig them up and look for anything that you can dry out. They definitely will regrow if you can get enough healthy crown!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Is it a good idea to disturb them after just planting them 6 weeks ago? Mine were all mush after the freeze...trimmed the worst off and they have all put up new eyes from the sides...including my Guacamole.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ademink

Post by ademink »

My understanding is that she meant the entire hosta was mush....crown and all. If the leaves are just mush then by all means, NO need to dig it up. Good thinking. :)

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

OOhhhhh! Thanks for clarifying...you know how newbys are...or newer-bys! :lol: I think I've grown a little... :lol:
Charla
ademink

Post by ademink »

I'm not sure that I *did* clarify! LOL You might be right...she could just be talking about the leaves!

I'm glad you thought to say that...we could have had her digging up hostas for nothing. LOL

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

No, I think you are right....
Charla
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

There were no eyes or anything up on these that was why I thought I better go poking around and check them.

Paradise Power is a goner. Glaucamole crown is stll visible but the roots are very mushy looking. Don't look like roots, just really stingy sort of yuck. Do you think there is any hope for it??

Claudia
Claudia
Homer_Zn5

Re: Mush

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

nanny_56 wrote:Just went out to check on my Guacamole & Paridise Power for any signs and they where just mush!! WAAAA

I just planted these 6 weeks ago. So not happy. Won't buy from that place again! Local hosta farm located next county over. ARRGH!

Guess I'll be adding to my order with Chris!

Claudia
I don't think it would be fair to blame the vendor for the fact that the hard freeze turned your plant to mush.

I have several old, established plants that had parts of the crown reduced to mush after this nasty cold snap we had in April. Guacamole was one of the worst hit, although I have some signs of life, even though it was planted in 2003, and was a very large plant last year.

Bottom line, even your vendor can't control the weather. As good as Chris is, I doubt he can command mother nature and guarantee success.
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

You are right. The the vendor isn't really to blame. I did not word that right. But after receiving hostas from Hallson's there just was no comparison. Over all size, the roots the eyes it had when I bought it ect.

I got a nice lesson in buying good quality plants & in protecting newly planted hostas. I had never in my life planted a bareroot hosta before.

Claudia
Claudia
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

If there is anything left of the crown, dig it up, dig out all soft parts, let it dry for some days and plant it again... after a couples of weeks, keep it moist...'
It will be tiny, but will come back :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply