Please help correctly id these hostas!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
MollyD

Please help correctly id these hostas!

Post by MollyD »

Okay I have some with labels that may not be true and some without labels.
Here goes.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Here are three more

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Molly,

The first one looks like Royal Standard, and the one labeled Royal Standard looks correct so you might want to compare the two to see if they are the same, especially the flowers which should be pure white and slightly fragrant.

The 2nd one that is green with the white edge looks like 'Undulata Albomarginata'. The slightly rippled edge gives that one away.

I think you will have to wait for the others to open more before an ID or confirmation can be made, so post again in a few weeks so we can see what they do. :)

Hope that helps.

Chris
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Thanks Chris,

I'll watch for the flowers on that Moerheim/Royal Standard pair. In person they don't look exactly the same but my eye isn't trained yet.

On the undulata I thought that at first but when I pulled the photos on the Hosta library the markings on this one are dark center with lighter border but on undulata the center is light and the border is darker? Someone suggested it might be Fortunei Albomarginata. What do you think?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

MollyD wrote:On the undulata I thought that at first but when I pulled the photos on the Hosta library the markings on this one are dark center with lighter border but on undulata the center is light and the border is darker? Someone suggested it might be Fortunei Albomarginata. What do you think?

MollyD
Yep, it's 'Undulata Albomarginata', the flimsy, wavy leaf rules out a Fortunei type. I also agree that the first one if 'Royal Standard'. The one labeled 'Gold Standard' is probably wrong too, since I'm pretty sure GS emerges with much more subtle variegation. The bright gold shows up later in the season in my experience.
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

But undulata has a cream or white center and dark green edges. My plant has the reverse of that so it can't be undulata unless there is an undulata that has a dark green center and a white edge!

As for the Gold Standard it does have variation on it. The edges are a darker green than the center. It may or may not be Gold Standard but it does have variation.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Okay I am thouroughly confused on this undulata thing. In the Hosta Library http://www.hostalibrary.org/u/u.html undulata is show as having a white center and a green edge. Over at Dave's plant files at http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/133370/ the exact opposite is show as undulata. Which is correct????

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Molly - on the 'U' at the Hosta Library click on the 2nd link: 'Un'. Undulata Albomarginata is the 1st hosta in that 2nd section.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Reynaldo Thanks!
You, Chris and everyone else is right! THAT plant is my plant!!!

Much clearer now and I was wrong.

Thanks!
MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Glad I could help. :D I was getting confused by your confusion until I started clicking on links. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Ah you saw what I was seeing and identified my confusion and my hosta!

:wink:

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
New Topic Post Reply