Hosta Highlights in Milwaukee?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Willowy

Hosta Highlights in Milwaukee?

Post by Willowy »

I'm going to Milwaukee in two weeks and wanted to know if there are any special places to visit -- Hosta related of course!
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
wzbt03

Where to visit

Post by wzbt03 »

Whitnall Park has a garden section Boertner Gardens I believe that has a very nice hosta display.
I was very impressed last year and the Southeast Hosta Society had a nice demo plot going.

Should be easy to find online.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Hopefully Mike will check in & tell you all of his favorite hosta haunts.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I know they have what they call The "Domes" which house three different gardens (if my memory serves correct). Not necessarily hostas only, but an array of things....like one is desert themed. I was in Milwaukee several years ago. Did a couple beer tours, visited the museum, DH and son went to a baseball game, etc. Had a good time. I wasn't on a hosta shopping hunt though, so can't tell you where to go specifically for those. Have fun! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Judysue

Post by Judysue »

I agree that Boerner Botanical Gardens in Hales Corners (south end of Milwaukee) is a great place to visit. They have lots of hostas in the perennial gardens. Here is a link to some information: http://www.boernerbotanicalgardens.org/support/v1.html

Yes, the Mitchell Park Domes would be an interesting place to visit. One has an arid theme, one a tropical theme (my favorite), and the third changes throughout the year. Here is a link to their homepage:
http://www.county.milwaukee.gov/Mitchel ... a10116.htm

Another place I found is actually the gardens of Joanne and Irwin Johnson. Their business, Hosta Gardens, consists of selling hostas, at their home and by mail order, and designing shade gardens. You can stroll through their lovely gardens and do some shopping at the same time. Their website is: http://www.johnsonhostagardens.com/

I see that you also posted this at the Garden Web forum, and someone mentioned the House of Hosta (Scenic View Nursery) just north of Green Bay. I don't know what your plans are, but the House of Hosta section is two greenhouses full of hostas (these are included in a catalog you can order). However, the Nursery also includes a large shade house full of hostas. Many are only marked by numbers from the catalog, but they have a substantial variety.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Milwaukee. There are a lot of interesting things to do there.

Judy
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Thank you. I love the idea of the Domes. I am going on Business and had not booked the flight until I put together an itinerary. It seems a shame to visit somewhere and only stay in the hotel. The Domes look perfect and very interesting. Thank you for your suggestions.
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

So far the suggestions offered are the best and most accessable.

Boerner garden is just a very nice place to visit... hostas are a nice treat.

The Johnson's garden is nice too. Always open to roamers.

The private gardens aren't always easy to get access to.

Shady Acers Garden in New Berlin has a very nice display garden and decent selection of hosta.

My garden... here in MKE is small. Your timing I think might put me out of town that weekend, but as u mention work guessing that you will be here during the week. Shoot me a PM or email and I'll see if I can meet.
Mike
Milwaukee
New Topic Post Reply