Yellow Splash Rim question?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Yellow Splash Rim question?

Post by wishiwere »

Does Yellow Splash Rim send out runners? I have one that's never grown well, stays smallish, but this year has 2 new sprouts about 4-6 iches from the main plant on the north and west sides.

The other thought I had was that maybe a rodent had separated pieces on his way through underground?

Any thoughts?
Attachments
DSCF3858-copy.jpg
DSCF3858-copy.jpg (46.65 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Interesting, Jane. :-? I've got one that has always been a very fast grower & last year it had kind of gotten an odd shape one side - not exactly rounded like most hostas do - although the rest of it was rounded. But it never sent out any like yours seems to be doing.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
grdnnkd

Post by grdnnkd »

I can't comment on YSR, but I have had quite a few hostas send out these "runners" this year; Bill Birnka, Swoosh, Wavy Waters and some seedling. I just figured this was "normal"

By the way, your plants look great!
grdnnkd's Hosta List
Latitude: 46° 78' N; Longitude: -92° 12' W
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

My snowflakes is doing this also. I just got it from Reldon last year so it is fairly new to me. Interest question. I will watch for more replys and this one.
Thanks for asking.
Sue
ckp

Runners?

Post by ckp »

Have you gently dug around one of the babies to make sure they are connected? They might be volunteers. Charlene
Charlene
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Sue - Snowflakes will do that. You will have a big spreading mound of it before long. But the pure white flowers in the early fall more than make up for it's rambunctiousness.

I have H. clausa too that has the rhizomatous habit. Earlier this spring I measured the farthest new plant from momma & it was 18" away. :o Trying to run away from home. :wink: LOL When I was digging up Appalachian Beauty to put in the new garden the other day, I discovered that an even longer 'stem' of clausa had made it into AB's root ball. That would have been a surprise when it finally had some green leaves sticking up in the AB clump. :eek: I would have thought it was sporting big time!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

Yes YSR sends out runners, as well as Bold Ribbons and some other of that kind.
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Rhizomatous?

Post by thehostagourmet »

Well, my streaked 'Yellow Splash's send out runners in their pots, I see no reason why the stable version wouldn't.

'Tea and Crumpets' is another well know Hosta that makes a good edger because of this trait.

George
John

Post by John »

I have a large Yellow Splash Rim which doesn not so much send out 'runners', but more like plants which come up a small distance from the main plant-- but attached, and NOT rooted. I found this out trying to take some divisions without disturbing the clump, and cut off the 'runners', rootlessly. I like this plant for the deep purple flowers!
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Quite a number of hostas reproduce this way.

Here are the roots of 'Kabitan'.
Attachments
kabitanrhizomes (2).jpg
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks for all the interesting comments! :D

I'll have to go do some slight digging around them tomorrow if this rain ever stops. What a great rain we've had, steady, and just perfect! :D We surely need it!

But one thing, I doubt it's volunteers, b/c there is a good layer of mulch in this garden and I am sure a seed wouldn't have a chance. Let you know what I find!

Thanks again for the responses!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Reldon,
I really love Snow Flakes it is so neat and thanks for telling me that it does spread this way. I is a place that doesn't matter if it spreads. I knew it wasn't a seedling as it was put in a new bed last year.
Nice to know all this information.
The experts have come thru with the answers again.
Thanks,
Sue
poppi

Post by poppi »

wishiwere...I wishiwere having your rain!!! :lol: It's been a month since we've had any real rain. Had about 15 minutes last week...not enough to do any good. :cry: How about sending your rain south!
New Topic Post Reply