More cold weather today...brrrrr

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

MollyD

More cold weather today...brrrrr

Post by MollyD »

Well I was getting scapes on elegans, Bright Lights #1 and an unregistered Blue but now our temperature has plummeted. It's a quarter to 6pm and we're at 49 with even lower temps promised. I couldn't cover the big ones anymore as with their growing leaves they've gotten too large. I did mulch heavily around any that went into the ground in the last two weeks. Covered all the mini hostas too. Not sure what else I can or should do for my plants right now.

MollyD :cry: :cry: :cry:
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

You're not supposed to deep down in the 30s tonight, are you? Holy cow........it's chilly here too, but I think it's supposed to be about 47-49 tonight. These 20-30 degree changes in temps from day to day just drive me crazy. :x
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Sheesh! And I am praying for a cool down! It was 90+ last Thurs and very warm and humid since then. Send me some cool, will ya?!
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
barbara

Post by barbara »

Well, its kinda chilly here also, but I'm not worried about the plants. If it dips, and your leaves aren't quite hardened off yet, which mine aren't, they may show some cold spots in a few days or so, but growth won't be affected. Actually a few cool days will be appreciated, by me and the hostas. And no more wind, too many broken and bent over soft petioles already :cry:
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

I was out early -- plant shopping at the local flea market where a lot of wholesaler vendors sell flats, baskets, etc -- I was there by 6:45 and nearly froze! In addition to the cold and wind, it was drizzling! Filled my CVR and left in record time. It was lots nicer planting, however, than last week when it was in the 90s. And we're headed for 90s again. Crazy.
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Well we're now down to 45 but at least the wind has slowed down some. Forecast was for 44 to 48 but it looks like we're going even lower than that!

Caliloo I will gladly pack some into a flat rate box! My treat! :lol:

Arlene we're suppose to climb to 80 Thursday and 90 possibly by Friday. I feel so bewildered by these changes! Can't imagine what the plants feel!

Those of you in hot areas please ship a little warmth (not too much!) this way :lol: . I'm tired of pulling out the winter clothes!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

We were under a Frost Advisory last night - and they didn’t post it until 11 pm. Lot of good that does!!! They had been calling for a low of 38 then changed to 33 degrees at 11 pm - the creeps. I was too worn out to go out and cover so just prayed real hard. Luckily, the frost missed us, but we were in the low 30s. Never did get over 60 yesterday - that is why I was so tired. Managed to get out in the gardens all day - MIL had a good day then my sis came over to amuse her later, so I didn’t even come in the house until 10 pm. So much easier getting stuff done at 60 degrees than 90+ degrees like last week - especially when you are susceptible to heatstroke as I am. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 90 again with some wild storms late.

wanda
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC sure hopes

Post by oldcoot »

that weather doesn't get down here. we are however bone dry. Got a nice shower over the week-end but with 35% humidity, and 90+ heat, moisture is long gone. Will go out tonight after the yard get shady and the temperature drops and water again. Saw on the WC this morning that there is moisture coming up out of he gulf and humidity will be increasing. That should give us a better chance for some afternoon "Pop=Up"Showers

OC crossing his fingers for you. It is indeed strange weather this year
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I never even heard about the freeze warning! Crazy weather people!

How many gardeners or farmers are even up that time to hear it!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

They told us we'd get high 40's and we ended up at 37 last night. Tonight seems to be more of the same so I didn't take the plants out of the house yet. Figured I'd wait till tomorrow when we're heading back up to 80. 90 for Friday and Saturday then a dip to the 40's for Saturday night. How's that for a roller coaster!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Roller coaster

Post by thehostagourmet »

Molly, you're not that far from Darien Lake, speaking of roller coasters. :lol:

George
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

About an hour and a half George.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

The weather man says your cold is moving my way. We have been in the high 80's last few days but after 3 weeks of almost non stop rain, this sun and heat make me happy :lol: You all up north can keep that cold to yourselves :wink:

G
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

It's moving west??? Our weather usually travels east or north, never west! Must be someone else's cold weather heading your way. :lol:

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
janet

Post by janet »

:lol: Well, we're for sure getting yours, MollyD. Yesterday we had dime-sized hail and tonight we have a frost advisory. :roll: I'll cover what I can just to protect any shredded leaves that are still able to feed the poor things. We even had a tornado warning yesterday...in New Hampshire!! :o
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Geez Janet - share a little, will ya?!?! Molly D was sending that to me!

It was actually "good sleeping weather" last night. went down to the upper 50's and only hid upper 70's today. Tonight is okay, tomorrow back to the mid-80's and humid and Fri is mid-90's and humid :eek:

I hate heat & humidity. So many of my roses went from gorgeous to carp almost overnight. They all have those ugly botritis spots and since I don't spray it was dead head/ live head all over the place to get rid of it. I destroyed more blooms than the JBs. :cry:

So anyway, if I could just have a couple weeks of nice sunny mid - upper 70's during the day and low - mid 60's and rain every night, I promise to be good until Christmas (or frost, whichever comes first).

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
barbara

Post by barbara »

I want Alexas weather also, under 80, sun, with clouds, breeze and cool nights...is there anywhere this happens all year, or at least 1/2 the year? 39 this a.m, downpours last night and wind to destroy petioles and make ugly hostas...LOL no late spring freezes, but the hostas went from looking good to not! :evil:
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

It was COOL and lovely today . . . I'd hoped to get the rest of my things in the ground but babysat my 2-year old grandson instead. Tomorrow it's supposed to be hot and humid again . . . and I'll be out planting.

There is no justice. But I had a fun day with Cody!
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

We had a high of 60 today. The hostas are all showing how happy 48 hours of rain made them by showing almost overnight growth of new leaves and scapes on many of them.

It's 10:08pm and it's 48.4 right now. So glad I didn't put any tender plants back out! We're heading for 80 tomorrow with 50's at night so they'll all go back out in the am. Thank heaven cause my house is looking like a jungle inside :lol:

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

OC: Sorry about the lack of rain down that way...wish I could have shared some of the 6” we got this week!!! We had been very dry before that - so maybe you will get lucky, too! The hosta just love that much water.

wanda
New Topic Post Reply