Show me your Lakeside Party Dress

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Kent

Post by Kent »

Barbara,

I don't think that is LS Party Dress :hmm:

Kent
barbara

Post by barbara »

oh ya? :???: so what is it? why do you say its not? crapolla, hate when this happens :lol:
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I don’t know, Barbara, but I think yours looks more like mine...and pretty much just like the first pic in the Hosta Library. I like its growth form - pretty much like my Maekawa & Azure Snow...really short petioles somehow holding long leaves horizontally. And your coloring resembles mine - more of a brighter, limey green going to yellow. But mine are young...so hard telling.

It is so hard to tell with hosta...young ones often bear no resemblence to their mature forms/texture, and different light conditions can make the same hosta’s growth habit totally different. I have two divisions of a single S&S - the one in more shade has fewer but much larger leaves, which are held perfectly horizontally and hardly overlap, making a short wide plant. The one in more sun is tall and narrow, has many more smaller leaves and the leaves point nearly right straight up. If I saw those two plants in someone else’s garden I would swear they were different varieties since they look so different!

That is why I try so hard to keep really accurate maps...if I lost track of what is where I know I would never figure it out again!!!

wanda
Kent

Post by Kent »

Barbara,

The leaf shape on yours is too short, not elongated enough. Also look at the vein count, the one in your picture looks to be higher than in mine. the veins should be wide spread and not close together. Now I could be seeing things as I really need to see a beter picture (close up) to be sure.

Kent
New Topic Post Reply