Live and Learn!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
MollyD

Live and Learn!

Post by MollyD »

I just found out that Korean Snow is a streaker and produces streaked babies! Moreover the HL list it as a top breeder!!! Ooo am I going to have fun!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Molly, sounds like fun, doesn't it? I got a nice big Korean Snow this year, too! One thing to know is that KS blooms very late in the season, so you will probably need to store pollen to cross with it.

I got some KS x OP seeds this spring and about 10% carried the misting, and they all had red petioles! Very good germination rate, too. :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Now who is OP ? Can't decode that one :D
Those sound really promising seedlings. I have a bunch (around 40 now) from an unregistered blue. As far as I can see there are no blue babies but a bunch have patterns on their leaves. I'll have to get their picture now that they're larger.

Here's Mom- no idea who Dad is.

MollyD
Attachments
I've named it Borglum Blue after the hybridizer
I've named it Borglum Blue after the hybridizer
Borglum Blue 6-7-07-sm.jpg (52.89 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
MollyD's Hosta list
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Korean Snow can produce streaked/misted babies, but the percentage is pretty low. I wouldn't classify it as a top breeder...as far as variegation goes :???:
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Well it wouldn't be the first mistake I find on the HL :lol:

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

There is such a thing as a big Korean Snow? Mine has remained microscopic. :roll:
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

addieotto wrote:There is such a thing as a big Korean Snow? Mine has remained microscopic. :roll:
That's global warming for ya. :wink:
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I have gotten some misted/streaked babies from Korean Snow, and also a lovely bright yellow one that makes purple flowers and scapes. All the babies from KS have had the yingerii "spider flowers", which makes them lovely no matter what color they are. Phyllis
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

They sound really nice! How old should my plant be before I set pods on it?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
allhuskrred

Post by allhuskrred »

doesn't OP mean open-pollinated, - Answer to Molly's question -I'm pretty sure that's what it means.

Allen
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Thanks Allen. I had assumed from the way it was written that OP stood for a name the way KS did. Maybe it was meant as open pollinated.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Here is my Korean Snow after about 3 years. When it was in my garden at the old house, it was planted where it got sun in mid day until about 4 pm, tolerated it fine.
Bloom time is in early August as I recall so there was plenty of things blooming to cross with, you don't need to save pollen unless you want to use a real early bloomer as a pollen parent.
I have a few streaked seedlings from it, but most are solid color and all pretty shiny.
In my Maturing Seedlings post, I mentioned recently an arching green seedling that was on offspring of Green Fountain. I looked at it last night, and the Green Fountain pollen was used on Korean Snow, and the seedling looks like a shiny version of Green Fountain.
The solid seedlings grow pretty fast but the streaked ones are very slow.
Attachments
KSnow.jpg
GibbsCorner
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by GibbsCorner »

Another thing Korean Snow seems to pass on strongly are those shiny shiny leaves.

Also, here's a stunningly :cool: Korean Snow seedling (in my opinion) from caliloo: http://www.hallsongardens.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=43948

I just can't get over that one. :o

Matt
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Since I really realy like my KS I guess I will be working with it. I keep hearing it's a slow grower but it seems to me that it's growing at a pretty decent rate here.

I have pictures taken when it first arrived here this spring (early May) so I'll get some today and compare but I would swear it's grown.

Is there a tet/dip barrier the way there is with daylilies? You can't cross them in daylilies, they just won't set seeds.
I was thinking (wondering) about crossing KS with my mini unknown (which has two scapes up this year!). Would expect to get smalls and minis, greens and what else?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

KS x mini

Post by thehostagourmet »

Shiny somethings. Try it.

George
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

I think I will George! Here are the prospective parents side by side. I'll have to save Dad's pollen since any day now he'll bloom :D
Wish I knew why all my photos show a ripple edge when I post them here
:???:

MollyD
Last edited by MollyD on Jun 08, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MollyD's Hosta list
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Molly - in some cases, the smaller the # of kb the pic has after editing, the more distorted the pic looks.

Try taking your pics on a larger pixel size setting. I take mine on 1280 x 960 pixels. Then when I edit them, I just change the size to 640 x 480. [Retain your original size pic - just give the new smaller size a slightly different name when you label & save it.] Most of the time that will drop the kb size under 80 kb so no further editing is needed to post them here on the forum. If it's still over 80kb, then you'll need to play around with the compression a little bit to get it under. Every program is different in that regard so you're on your own there. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

I'll have to try that. I just tried to set it at 640 and it rejected that. Every size till I was down to 480 was rejected. Let me test 490 here.

edit: it took it but size wasn't noticeably bigger

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
New Topic Post Reply