Amber Tiara

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
MollyD

Amber Tiara

Post by MollyD »

I have a plant I bought labelled Amber Tiara. After reading that it produces streaked babies I went to the HL and saw the pictures there. Not the plant I have! Mine is a pale green or greenish yellow. Does AT have a different color before maturity? Anyone recognize it? It's a small plant right now. About the same size as Golden Tiara which I got from Chris so I know that one is correct!

MollyD

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... er%20Tiara
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Amber+Tiara
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/ambertiara.html
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

My AT is a yellowish green also. Take a look! :)
AmberTiaraSOHB6-18-05.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

Yours looks like a young Amber Tiara to me. Mine bloom twice every so often and has little white specks in the leaves as the season progresses.
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Thanks to both of you! Looks like my AT is legit! Whew! The photos on the HL showed streaking which mine doesn't show. Must be in baby mode still.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I'm confused...? Not that unusual, but the reason I am confused now is my Amber Tiara...3 years old...never has had any streaks? I also looked on Hosta Library and am not seeing any streaks...what am I missing? Streaks would be awesome, but I'm not seeing them.... :-?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I've never noticed any streaking on my AT. :hmm: But yours looks like a young one.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

So were do all the streaks on the ones posted on the Hosta Library come from? Or the fact that it's listed among streaky parents??????????????????

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I looked at the Hosta Library and those dark areas are not streaks, they are just shadows on creases or areas that got less direct light exposure due to irregular shapes in the leaves.
I don't see any reference to streaked parentage or offspring.
It's the all gold sport of Grand Tiara, which has a green center and gold/amber margins.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Amber Tiara has random 'chimeral re-arrangements', which produce flecks of white or green. Many of the babies also carry this characteristic. It's the one hosta in my garden that has produced the most volunteer seedlings, so it's highly fertile. I have one solid green one that has produced a streaked eye. I have too many seedlings to mention that have the flecks of white and/or green in them. This is one hosta that is very sensitive to lighting, at least in my garden. It's very bright yellow gold in more sun, sort of a lime yellow in more shade. I think maybe the pics in the library are showing more of the shading due to sun-sensitivity than streaking. Mine has never had an actual streaks in the 6 or so years I've had it, just those little flecks of color. I don't think I'd personally classify it as a good streaked breeder, just a good breeder that produces some random streaky or flecked plants.
Most of the seedlings carry that distinct tiara look, but I've had some that vary a great deal. All of mine are OP, so if you choose to do some hybridizing with it, you may come up with something nice.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Dave try this link

http://www.hostalibrary.org/lists/size-main.html

On the left click on streaky breeders and then A's to get to Amber Tiara.

Pictures there show a streaky Tiara! Had forgotten just where I had seen this but that's where.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Linda it sounds interesting to me! Being new at working with hosta babies I don't mind OP's.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Amber Tiara

Post by redcrx »

Amber Tiara is one of my oldest ones. I got it in late 2009. Here are some photos from 2011:
Amber Tiara - April 29, 2011
Amber Tiara - April 29, 2011
Amber Tiara - May 20, 2011
Amber Tiara - May 20, 2011
Amber Tiara - July 9, 2011
This photo highlights the odd coloration noted in the Hosta Database "has small sectoral chimeras" (at least I think that is what that means):
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply