SUGGESTIONS - large, upright, blue

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Wheasie

SUGGESTIONS - large, upright, blue

Post by Wheasie »

Need a BIG blue (or unique green) one for the back of an area - is on a hill, it would sit up behind 'Paradise Power' and to the side of 'Montana Aureomarginata'.

Thanks!
Louise
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

Tenyru! :D
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

Lakeside Surfrider or komodo Dragon.
Canadian-hosta-girl

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

millenium , krossa regal , blue umbrella , sagae , t-rex(but it isnt upright) .....let us know which one you choose ;)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I can suggest Ultramarine as a big, upright blue. Don't have a pic of it yet this year, but it's one that escaped cold damage, and the non-stop winds we've had this year haven't touched it. It's grown really well for me, too.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thehostagourmet

Upright green?

Post by thehostagourmet »

If green will do, just look back at Barbara's 'Lakeside Ripples' in the recent post.

George
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

How about Arch Duke, in either Blue or Green? Or what about Jurassic Park as a greenie? Bigga Luiggi? Dragon Lady? OOOh how about Sea Frolic?
Mike
Milwaukee
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--Here is a pic of Krossa Regal.
Attachments
Krossa Regal 6-24-02c 250.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Tidewater :cool:
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Glacial Lake
Kas

Post by Kas »

Chris gave me a Glacial Lake as a freebie a couple of years ago and it is so pretty! It is upright with rounded, smooth blue leaves. The leaves are so perfect looking. I am really pleased with this one. I am not pleased with my DH who changed the photo program on our computer and now I do not know how to get the pics out of the program once I get them off the camera. He doesn't seem to, either :evil: .

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

Oooh - so far, 'Sea Frolic', 'Komodo Dragon', and 'Tidewater' are my top considerations. THANK you for ideas - it is good to hear from someone who has grown them.

Louise
Lessadragon

Post by Lessadragon »

Here are some pics for you...
Attachments
Tidewater resized.jpg
Lakeside Surfrider resized.jpg
Komodo Dragon 3 resized.jpg
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

Lessa,

I noticed that you have 'Tidewater' in a pot. Do you leave it out in the winter potted? I know that Ontario is going to see more serious cold that we do - but we don't usually have a protective snow cover. Curious because it looks SO good in that pot - I'd like to immitate...

Louise

ps - thanks for pics! VERY impressive hostas.
Lessadragon

Post by Lessadragon »

Louise,

I put Tidewater in this pot last year because it didn't like where it was and I had no where to put it. :roll: It stayed in the pot in the barn over the winter. I was so worried about it until it came up looking better than ever! There are Medusas planted all around it, but you can hardly see them right now. :lol: I'm hoping to get it in the ground this year before the snow flies, but if I don't, then I won't be as worried this winter about it. This pot is very shallow and I'm not sure if it will have enough room for the roots for too many seasons.
Thanks for the compliments though. :D

Lynn
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Droooooooooool over that Tidewater, lessadragon! Beautiful specimen! I MUST get this one - have been trying for two years now. Bid on it the last two Hallson events and got outbid each time...sigh.

Hey, I know...if you still haven’t found a place for it by August...I have the perfect spot for it to hang out until you find the perfect place? (hehe) (giggle)

wanda
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Wanda?????? :???: ??????? I thought we split a Tidewater last summer at the auction? Didn't we? Am I mistaken? :roll: I've got it listed as a tidewater :-?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
ademink

Post by ademink »

There are two Tidewaters on Ebay right now.............. :o (I already got one this year! YIPPEEE!!!!) :bd:

Clearly Tidewater is about the hottest thing on 15 petioles right now but is it tall enough for what you are needing?
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Wow, nice Hostas Lessa!!! I just got Lakeside Surfrider and Tidewater from Chris a couple weeks ago! Can't wait for them to grow up. Love the Tidewater in the pot. What size is that pot?

Debbie
Lessadragon

Post by Lessadragon »

Debbie,

Glad you like my pot. The pot's opening is 24" wide and it is 12" deep. I got this Tidewater at Chris' the first year it was at the auction. Mary (NMB) brought it for the auction and if you can believe it, I was in the last half of the group picked and took it because I didn't recognize the plant. Mary gave some history on it and it sounded like it would be a nice plant, so I took it home. I have been more than impressed with it since then. That was in 2003. Every now and then I make a good choice, but I was lucky because no one else took it first. Just the way it goes I guess. :lol:
Wanda, I'll keep you in mind if I can't find a spot! :lol: but please don't hold you breath for too long :lol:

Lynn
New Topic Post Reply