Pic of the Day--Tokudama Aureonebulosa

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Tokudama Aureonebulosa

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Today's variety is on my short list of favorites. Like all of the tokudamas, 'Tokudama Aureonebulosa' (don't you just love that name? you know your an incurable hostaholic when you can pronounce it without having to hesitate) is a very slow growing variety. However, TA seems to become more attractive each year and is well worth the wait. Offsetting its growth rate is its great substance, which translates into zero slug problems. The plant in the photo was given to us a gift in 2005 to replace a mature plant that was killed by some sort of crown rot. That mature plant had reached a size of 39x22 which put it right in line with Zilis' listing of 42x18. Out new plant measured 19x9 last year and I expect it to take at least another 5-6 years to reach full size.
Tokudama Aureonebulosa 62605c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

It's definitely one of my favorites!! I'm just hoping that mine will someday decide to grow.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I don't want to say this toooo loudly, but I finally got one to live through a winter. This is plant no 5, and it's got not one, but 3 eyes this year. I once bought one with 7 or 8 eyes in the pot, and it perished before it made the first year.
One of these days, I'll have a grown-up one to look at!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Oh, yeah. And if you can not only pronounce it without hesitation, but SPELL it as well, you're way beyond hope.

Like you, I don't even care if it grows slowly . . . it's just so darned nice looking!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I guess I am beyond hope since I can pronounce it AND spell it. :lol: I also love it. I love all my Toks, even if they are slower than molasses in January. Yours is very , very nice , Hank. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Yours is beautiful Hank! :cool: I lost mine several years ago. Seeing your makes me want to try again.

I received Tokudama Flavocircinalis in my first secret trade in 2002. I distinctly remember thinking that I would never be able to remember the name much less pronounce or spell it. :lol: Add me to the incurable list. :wink:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

I have one I got this spring and so far it seems very happy where it is. I was going to move it to another location with other hostas but after reading this thread maybe I should leave well enough alone!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I just got both the tA and tF and I can't pronounce either one without lookin at the name. Guess I'd better learn! :oops:

Nice hosta Hank!!

Debbie
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Linda P wrote: I don't want to say this toooo loudly, but I finally got one to live through a winter. This is plant no 5, and it's got not one, but 3 eyes this year. I once bought one with 7 or 8 eyes in the pot, and it perished before it made the first year.
One of these days, I'll have a grown-up one to look at!
Linda P
I'm surprised you found one available for sale with 7 or 8 eyes ! Do you remember what y0u paid? Must have been an estate sale.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Hank!!

I love mine and I can't remember how many eyes I have....I love those leaves, and I got mine when I first started hostas so maybe not too far away it will get some size.....

Love the POD's!! :D
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Tokudama Aureonebulosa

Post by redcrx »

Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply