ROHS (Russ O'Hara Hosta Society) Garden Tour & Plant Auc

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

ROHS (Russ O'Hara Hosta Society) Garden Tour & Plant Auc

Post by Marlys »

It's time for the annual ROHS garden tour and plant auction.

Sunday - July 1, 2007

4 gardens northwest of Des Moines, IA - wonderful day of gardens, fun, plant acquisitons, & fellowship.

Begins 8 a.m. in gardens of Greg & Sue Olson - Roland, IA
9 a.m. Skycrest Gardens, Ames, IA - Tom & Marilyn Kinney
10:00 a.m. Bob & Nancy Briggs - Boone, IA
Tour will end @ the Iowa Arboretum about 11:00 a.m. where lunch will be served @ noon.
Then the Hosta / Plant Auction

This year the Cedar Rapids / Iowa City Hosta Society is joining us for our summer tour / auction. It's a time to meet new friends and greet old friends.

ROHS members will be digging some special plants for the plant auction to benefit the club and the organizations we sponsor through out the year.

Contact any ROHS member for details. We would love to have you join us for our summer tour. We always have a great time. And this year there is some special surprise planned for us at the arboretum. And if it is too hot or raining our auction will be held in the cool meeting room at the arboretum.

Contact
Hallson members that are also ROHS members:
Reldon
Pepper One
Trudy
Connie D
Marlys
Also see posting on Marlys' Garden / What's Coming Up
http://www.marlysgardens.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I thought I'd replied to this, & just realized I hadn't. I will be there. As long as I can find where 2 of the places are. Thank goodness for Google maps. :wink: It should be a lot of fun!! :P As usual. Marlys - is my hosta bidding partner & all of the Pella crew going to be there this time??
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Hmmmm, wonder if I could convince hubby to watch the kids because I "need" to go to this???? :D
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
pepper1
USDA Zone: 5

Post by pepper1 »

Jo, you do need to go. The tour gardens should be nice but most of all you need to see the Auctions-R-Us (Pella) group in action...

pepper1
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Jo - Kathy is right!! Seeing that group in action at the auction is worth it by itself. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Oh but that would be bad for the checkbook, because I love auctions AND I love to win! :D :lol: :D
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

There'll be lots of other people there to bid against, Jo. :wink: But one of the most fun auctions a couple of years ago was watching Marlys & her daughter bidding on the same hosta a couple of times and then Marlys & Trudy bidding against each other for Dorothy Benedict. :o Trudy won. :wink: At the height of the action, Marlys' guy Ron usually falls asleep for awhile. :???:

It's a lot of fun!! You need to be there. :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Oh yes, Renaldo, we all remember that auction very well. The auctions are the best part of the day.

mmm Auctions-R-Us.....that is good, Kathy. Of course, Kathy and husband have really nice streak seedlings they have donated for the auction in years past. I will be looking in my gardens this week to see what we can come up with..........
You never know what hostas will show up at the auction. Or what snacks!

The tour will be well worth your time. Marlys has written a very nice post about the happenings for the day.

Please come and join us. We promise you will have a fun time. Who can pass up a garden tour like this. Iowa has some of the best hosta growing soil around.
Would be fun to meet more Hallson folks :D
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Oh I know it is all WAY to rich for my blood; that's why I am saying it wouldn't be good for me BECAUSE I like to win, but know I couldn't. :(
I will have to talk to hubby. I would love to go and see everyone and see the group in action!
Jo
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Jo - not everything goes for high $$. And it is possible to show restraint. I know cuz I haven't even bid on anything the last 2 years. :wink: I didn't say it was easy - just possible. LOL
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Restraint is possible??? Really?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

It's a he((uva lot easier for me to excercise restraint when I'd spent all my $$ on the gas to get to the tour/auction. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Just wondering what not all go for a high$ amount means. Which means my high $ amount is someones low dollar amount :roll: Also any idea how many plants will be on the auction block.
Thanks,
Sue
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Auction Block

Post by Marlys »

Sue,

Club members bring plants for the auction. Not everyone brings plants and not everyone sticks around for the auctions if it is too hot!

The last 2 years the heat was almost overwhelming! Only the crazy :lol: folks stick around then. We all sweat together! However, this year if it is too hot it is my understanding that we will have the auction indoors in air conditioned comfort in the Harold Hughes Center @ the arboretum.

I did spend most of the morning outdoors trying to decide what plants to dig for the auction. My gardens are becoming over-crowded & this is a great opportunity to share plants with others. I dug Fragrant Blue, Tokadama Aureonebulosa, American Sweetheart, & 3 eyes of my favorite - Regalia.

Man, it's tough to cut into those big perfect, favorite plants. I also dug Blue Moon but it was so perfect I just moved it to a less crowded spot and I also dug Julia Hardy but she was too perfect to let go too so I just moved her to a better spot too! :roll: I'm hopelessly addicted.

I also dug a huge pulmonaira sdlg but it is totally wilted. They resent being moved! Often companion plants show up at the auction also. They sell well too!

Grab your friends & hit the road with us! Once Lisa Putman & Kim Larsen drove down from MN just for the auction. Lisa got the deal of the day on hosta 'Oh Cindy'.

Usually Greg Johnson is our auctioneer. He knows hostas inside / out! He tells the story of the plants so it is very educational too. We are lucky to have him in our club. We also have Audra Wilson in our club who was personal friends with Russ O'Hara & the Benedicts. She often donates hostas OS from those two famous hosta hybridizers plus more. She knows all the hosta people all over the country. She has 15 acres full of hostas and other plants but mostly hostas. She is a very kind & generous person. Also Stark Gardens is a part of our club, now Eric & Shelia Kinman but there is still a few Gunther originals in there. And the guys from Quilted Gardens are in our club. They usually bring not the usual dwarf conifers, ferns, etc. And as Trudy mentioned, Pepper 1 (Kathy & Gary) bring his fun sdlgs. I have 2 in my gardens. And Trudy, of course, brings wonderful plants from her Holland Drive Garden. Many others bring plants too! But most of all we have fun!

Reldon, what are you donating this year?

So to answer your question; there is no way to really tell how many plants will be auctioned off but I bet Gary could tell us all as he is the book keeper for the whole event and also the club treasurer and so much more. Gary??

Price is whatever someone is willing to pay for a particular plant. Dorothy Benedict, I believe was the top selling plant lately. Some plants go for $5.00 some for allot more than that depending on what they are and who wants to pay for them. The auction is our fund raiser for the year. We support the Iowa Arboretum and several other educational - garden related projects. We donate to public garden projects, etc. So when we win plants we are also donating support to many good projects and maintaining our own club. It a good thing.

MM
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Marlys, sounds like a very interesting day. I love auctions and what better than a hosta auction. Sounds like you have a great group. Sure will try to get there, because I sure would like to meet the rest of the Pella group, as I have met Trudy already and she is a great gal.
Sue
pepper1
USDA Zone: 5

Post by pepper1 »

Looks like we will have great weather for this year's tour and auction...with highs in the low 80's!

We normally have around 100 or so plants donated for the auction. Average price last year was around $20 or so. Very few plants go for more than $50 and a $100 plant is pretty rare (but there can be some GREAT plants offered that are definitely worth that). Actually, there are a lot of nice plants in the $5-15 range. Last year our top plant went for $125.

I think we will also try a silent auction in addition to the live auction this year...Eric Kinman said that the silent auction at the National Convention went well.

Look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday.

Gary
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Sue, I think they are trying to talk us into it. I think they want our $$. :lol: :lol: :lol:
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Jo, sounds like there might be some in our price range. I'll just watch the high dollar ones to see who is bidding. Could be a very exciting auction. Keeps sounding better and better. I'll add some gas money for you, will that make it work for you. :D
Sue
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Marlys - I could give you the answer of 'the same thing that I donate every year', but I have a feeling you're trying to goad me into actually bringing something this year. LOL Tomorrow will be decision day for what makes it over to Linda's Hosta Hoedown and the ROHS auction the next day. If all goes well, I will be able to be at both.

But I had a message on my answering machine tonite that my 100 year old uncle passed away this evening. I'm hoping the funeral will be Thursday or Friday, but since one of my cousins lives in southwest Michigan and another in the Chicago area, I don't know for sure yet. And they probably don't either... Hopefully I'll know more by tomorrow.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Judi

Post by Judi »

This really sounds fun!

Several of our Harshbarger group are coming for the tours and to enjoy the auctions! I'm sure there will be a few that like to bid on hostas.

See you Sunday...

Judi
New Topic Post Reply