ROHS (Russ O'Hara Hosta Society) Garden Tour & Plant Auc

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I found out this morning that my uncle's funeral will be Wednesday afternoon because the daughter of my cousin in MI is getting married on Saturday. So the funeral will be much earlier than I thought it would be.

And I'll still be able to get to the things I was planning for the weekend. Which is good cuz I sure didn't want to miss them...
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

That's good Renaldo. Wow, 100 years old.
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I agree, Jo - pretty amazing!! That apparently comes from the Norwegian/Larson side of the family since there have been several of his cousins, aunts & uncles that lived well into their nineties & a couple past 100. My aunt/his youngest sister is 90. They were the last of a family of 10 children. It's even more amazing because when I was growing up he was always getting treated for one ailment or another.

All of his children were back here in early December for a birthday celebration they had for him with lots of family, old neighbors, & friends. They said he didn't believe them when they told him 100. He didn't think it was possible that he could be that old. LOL
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

We forgot to order meals.

Kathy and Gary you have a PM

Maybe there will be a take out along the way.

Looking forward to Sunday!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I did the same thing, Trudy. Thought it was a potluck like last year until I opened the newsletter finally... :oops: I emailed Gary yesterday & I'm set to eat now. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Judi

Post by Marlys »

Judi,

Yes, we are looking forward to the Harshbarger group joining us.

Come introduce yourself to us Hallsonites.

Looks like we will have a good 'weather-day' too!

Maybe I better dig a few more auction plants so you all won't go home empty-handed. :lol:

MM
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Sue and I are still contemplating coming. Any more bribes?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jo
pepper1
USDA Zone: 5

Post by pepper1 »

Bribes? Hmmm... How about 3 distinctly different gardens with many hostas, perennials and ponds, with a spectrum of garden ideas for everyone. Or the chance to stroll the Iowa Arboretum that you've been meaning to get back to sometime. Or several different opportunities to bid on or buy some great hostas. Or the chance for several Hallsonites to finally meet up.

But probably what you've been waiting to hear... rumor has it Renaldo is selecting his donation to the auction even as we speak. The anticipation is killing all of us!

Please do stop and say hello; I'll have 'Hallson's' written on the bottom of my name tag. And there will be only one Marlys, Trudy or Renaldo there...

Kathy
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Kathy, it is sounding better and better. I have a couple of Reldon's hosta that he gave to me at Jimmy's get together last year. They are growing so well & I sure like them. I do love to bid at auctions, also would like to meet the rest of the Pella group, and all of the other Hallson's forum members, plus the Russ O'Hara group. I may have to bribe Jo to go. What would she like :lol: How about a ride to all of the above :P she wouldn't want to miss out on all the fun. :D
Sue
pepper1
USDA Zone: 5

Post by pepper1 »

Also, I'm pretty sure plans are in place for one of our local vineyards to be at the Arboretum for a wine tasting prior to lunch.

Gary
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Is that how your group earns extra money, give the bidders wine before the bidding starts :lol: Sounds like mine kind of auction. Jo, how about it. :hmm: I think it sounds really interesting. :wink:
Sue
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin...

1) My sister will be home late Sat. night from Colorado. It's tradition for us to go over early Sunday to see them right away. She'll be here all week.
2) Hubby would be stuck with the kids who can't get along.
3) I would love to meet everyone.
4) I love auctions.
5) I need a vacation.
6) I've already broke the bank on hostas for this year.
7) One glass of wine and someone would have to hold my hand DOWN at the auction AND carry me to the car. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmmmm....I'm thinkin.... :D
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Oh.....wine tasting that is very interesting.

Wine tasting could be very beneficial for a clubs hosta auction :D :D :D
Jimmy Mac

Post by Jimmy Mac »

Jo how about a driver to drive you home.Lois and i are thinking about going. Jimmy

Ps share the gas price with you?
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Jimmy Mac...I am sorry I am just getting back to you; I have been gone all day celebrating the 4th in the town where our DQ is. And I am BEAT!
Anyway, sorry this is late. Sue and I were planning a couple of other stops and will be joining up on the 2nd tour. How bout if we meet up somewhere along the route, ok?? It will be good to see you and Lois and the others.
P.S. Please leave your checkbook at home....I can't compete with your money. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jo
Marlys

ROHS Summer Tour

Post by Marlys »

Oh, my, did we have a perfect day for our hosta-happening or what?

The weather was perfect, the gardens were perfect, (the driving directions were not perfect) :roll: The food was good, the auction was a huge success, old acquaintances were renewed (Dave & Donna Rose are alive & well), new hosta-friendships were formed, and everyone made it home safely. I finally got to meet Sue & Jo from Hallson forum. Felt like we'd known each other for years! Nice gals! So good to finally meet in person. Got to meet Judy too! Several attended from the Harshbarger Hosta Society which was really nice. (Missed Jimmy Mac & Lois tho) There was a rumor they might show up.

Garden #1 - home of Greg & Sue Olson, 202 Duea Circle, Roland, IA was picture perfect with dwarf conifers setting the stage in the shade garden. If ever you are traveling near Roland - take the time to visit this garden. It is wonderful!

Garden #2 - Tom & Marilyn Kenney, 243 Dave Circle, Skycrest Gardens, Ames, IA as always, was lovely with combination, shade, sun, water gardens and a commercial garden open weekends & by appointment. Nice Folks!

Garden #3 Bob & Nancy Briggs, 1071 X Avenue, Boone, IA - perfect everything! I could have stayed forever! The farm atmoshere, chickens, horses, pigs (wait til you see the picture), hostas, perfect water-garden, & a small greenhouse! My dream all rolled into one! (commercial garden also)

Thank you, folks for opening your homes to all of us.

It was concerning that everyone had their cars full of plants before the ROHS plant auction even began but our auction was hugely successful. I saw some folks carrying plants out of the arboretum's greenhouse too! Plant People! :lol:

And, guess who - (Reldon) donated 2 large crates full of hostas for the auction! And guess who left her Fragrant Blue she dug just for the auction sitting on the garden bench at home! :-?

Another great hosta-day! Our neighborhood was well represented with Bruce & Trudy, Ron & I, my daughter, Robin, David & Betsy Dettman, & Connie D all traveling together! We are truly blessed!

MM
Jimmy Mac

Post by Jimmy Mac »

So sorry Lois and i couldn't make it.Went to Lindas on Saturday and i had to be at work Last night by 10:30.I would have been bumbed at work last night if i went.Working grave yard shift is rough enough anyway.Would have loved to have been there and don't worry Jo the check book would have stayed at home.I got what i always wanted this year anyway.Hot Flash and Rubies.Rubies is a Ran Lydell plant.Streaked leaves and ruby red Stems and flower scapes.Suppose to give many babies.Have to wait and see,Jo i hope your not broke? if you are i'm the blame for not being there saying you don't need that.LOL Jimmy
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

It sure was a wonderful day. Finally met Marlys, Connie, the Peppers, Kathy and Gary, and the Rose's. So glad everyone came up and introduced themselves. It was nice to see Trudy and her husband again. What a big group of people for the auction. I didn't have a chance, but it sure was fun watching the experts bid :lol: Anyway it sure is for a great group of people. Everyone was very nice, food was great, I agree with Marlys on the driving directions. I finally used the cell phone to find our way to the second one. Then Jo just followed the others to the next one. Jo thanks for driving it was a great day. But back to work now so I can make more hosta money.
Sue
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Yep - yesterday was a lot of fun. The 1st garden was great. Beautiful conifers & dwarf conifers. Marlys' guy Ron was developing a serious case of conifer~envy there. They're fairly new to hostas so it would be :cool: to go back in a couple of years to see their sizable collection again.

I didn't get the memo on the change of driving instructions to the 2nd garden. I had googled the route the other day & didn't think it looked right for Skycrest gardens. I'd been there on the convention tourbus in 2004 & then was back later that fall on my own. So I'd been there before, but I'd never come in there from the north before so I was hopeful. But I drove up & down the dead end street twice. I went south to the next intersection & couldn't remember the long & winding way back to the Kenney's so I finally gave up & headed to garden #3.

I was glad to have the extra time there cuz there was sure a LOT to see in Nancy's gardens. Wonderful gardens accented with :cool: stuff all around the house & then the sales/growing area looked spotless. I would have been in trouble if I'd had any money to spend. :wink:

And the auction & lunch were a lot of fun as always. Marlys was able to shame me into donating hostas for the auction this year since I could hear the tone in her voice when I read her innocent question on here last week. Her daughter, Robin, ended up buying a couple of my less interesting choices. [Marlys - tell her to put them by where her moles are so she has some cheap hostas for them to eat. :wink: ] I think the biggest moneymaker I donated was a jgh-inspired collection of one division each of Vanilla Cream, Wylde Green Cream, and Ice Cream. The pots were taped together. Something a little different. Eric from Stark's seemed to like my idea. And then there was the Austin Dickinson that I meant to give to Gary & Kathy/pepper1 and forgot to separate out of the carrying container so it got included in the auction hostas. I never even gave it a thought until I saw it on the table. I was going to pull it out, but it was already in the line-up so I couldn't do that. Kathy said she'd buy it & I told her she would NOT!! LOL So each time one of the Austins was up for sale, I'd be looking across the room to make sure Kathy wasn't bidding & she was looking at me & laughing. And then Marlys bought the 2nd one. :roll: I couldn't stop laughing. :lol:

Judi & Always Weeding [I hadn't met her before] were there from the Cedar Rapids area. Gary & Donna [the Wild Rose couple who was nowhere to be found when we took the Hallson group pics & then reappeared when everyone was leaving] were there with friends, and Hosta12/Jo & SUEDIA. And of course all of the Pella contingent.

I had a LOT of fun!! :P But it was definitely good to be home doing nothing for the rest of the nite after all of my hosta driving all over the state Sat & Sun.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Marlys

Hallson Hosta Friends @ Iowa Arboretum

Post by Marlys »

Hallson crew (minus a few) / ROHS Summer Mtg

Front Row #1 - Reldon (of course) next to:
Trudy, Marlys, Kathy Hoard (Pepper 1)

Back Row #1 - Hosta 12 - Jo, next to Sue (SUEDIA), Connie D, & (the other half of Pepper #1) Gary Hoard

Dave & Donna Rose couldn't be found & the Cedar Rapids kids had all ready bugged-out.

MM
Attachments
Hallson Gang.jpg
New Topic Post Reply