May I have your advice please?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Mercedes Brugh

May I have your advice please?

Post by Mercedes Brugh »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and wonder if you could tell me what to do for these Blue Angel hostas. These are on the west side of the house. There are more just around the corner, on the north side, and they are just dandy so far.

Mercedes
Indiana
Attachments
IMG_5766.JPG
IMG_5765.JPG
IMG_5764.JPG
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Welcome to the forums, Mercedes! I think you will have lots of fun, and there sure is alot of good help here when you need it! :D

On your Blue Angels....it looks to me like they are getting too much sun. That washed out look is sun scald, I think. How many hours of sun do they get in a day? The west side of the house may be too hot for them.

Hopefully some of the experts will reply.

Again, welcome!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Mercedes Brugh

Post by Mercedes Brugh »

Thank-you, Charla. That's a thought.

They may get 2 hrs. of sun a day...there is a BIG house about 15' away that keeps them in shade except when the sun is highest and hottest.

But last year the hostas around the corner also became affected when they were vulnerable on account of a hot, dry spell. These on the west side get it first though.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'd say that Charla is correct. Looks like too much sun to me. If they've been there for long [and I'm guessing they have for several years from the size] then they should be acclimated to the amount of sun they receive there unless they are large plants newly planted there.

If they've been there for several years & are still doing this, then I'd increase the amount of water they receive weekly or move them to a more shaded spot when the temps are cooler. In either case, they won't look any better again this year - and probably worse since summer has just started.

If they are larger plants that are newly planted in that location, and they do get some shade in the afternoon [not total sun at least], then I'd leave them where they are & keep them well-watered. But don't water when the temp is 90 or higher or you may encourage southern blight which could lead to crown rot. Give them this year to acclimate themselves to this new location, and they should do much better there next year.

Hope this helps. :)
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

It looks like sun scald and heat damage. If they are only getting 2 hours of sun a day, that may not be the only culprit. If the houses are both or only one of them is brick, then there will be a lot of heat coming off of them, even at night. Lots of water will help. But I'm thinking they may still be a little on the crispy side during the hottest months of the year.

Lynn
Mercedes Brugh

Post by Mercedes Brugh »

Thanks everyone. It does get hot along there. Perhaps it doesn't help that the house shingles are black.

Sounds like the best course is to move them as soon as possible...Should the damaged leaves be cut off?
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Looks like lack of sufficient water to me. 2 hours of sun a day shouldn't fry a Hosta that has lived in the same location over a period of years. Try watering them....alot, and don't move them or cut leaves either. See what you get next year. :P
buff24

Post by buff24 »

I agree, looks like lack of sufficient water to me... I would recommend more water, and see if the second flush of leaves look any better...
Buff

We have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children. ~Native American saying
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Hej and welcome to the forums :D

The hotter there is the more water they need :wink: and the black color do not help them either :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

Hi, I'm new here, too. I also have hostas that need some extra water in the heat, but I didn't realize that you couldn't water when it's over 90. Do you mean - 90 at the time? So you could water in the morning if it's a hot spell, before it gets to be 90 (which sometimes is at 7:00 in the morning...)?
Sorry, probably a very stupid question!
Thanks,
Nancy
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Nancy, Hi! Welcome to the forums! Not a dumb question. Here is a link to a thread that was running the other day about just that topic.

http://www.hallsongardens.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=44943
If you read it then maybe post additional questions there, you will probably get some more response.

Again, welcome!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

Wow, perfect! Thanks, Charla!
Nancy
New Topic Post Reply