FINALLY. The cooler weather has arrived.

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
HostaDesigner

FINALLY. The cooler weather has arrived.

Post by HostaDesigner »

I'm looking forward to going out this weekend and making some my hosta crosses. :D The heat has been killing my pod-luck.
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

We're finally getting crosses to set here. It gets frustrating when the flowers just keep falling off!
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I'm going to finally be able to give a few a try also. The bees have been unsucessful here so far :x
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I feel a bit like Goldilocks...its either too hot or too cold (or too dry or too wet). What extreme weather changes!!! Until yesterday we were in the 90s with lows in the high 60s/low 70s - almost unheard-of here except for a few days in August. And now they are talking about record lows tonight - mid 30s to about 40!!!! Sure wish mother nature would even things out at least a little bit. I appreciate the lower temps/humidity...but 38 degrees is a bit cool!

wanda
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

You may only get one day with normal temps

When I left for Holland and Belgium it was HOT, way to hot for normal and it stayed that way until the day after I came home, then there was one nice normal ½ grey day until it started to rain - we needed it - but it seems to never have an ending. It have been raining for 2 weeks and will for at least the next week too ...raining 18 hours of the day. We , and I am in the dry area have got more than 45 inch of rain, floaded basements and roads everywhere ..strange exept for the roses, my garden seems to accept it so far.

Brrrr it is cold too :frosty:

So enjoy the lower temps as long as you can :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

I've already got 5 blossoms tagged and stripped. Just waiting for tomorrow morning to actually pollinate them! 8-) I have to do things a little backwards when I'm crunched for time in the morning before work. :lol:
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I've been dabbing away on several flowers in a vase in my office at work. Not sure if anything took yet, but it isn't lookin like it. Fingers crossed for me, OK?

Laura
allnitro

Post by allnitro »

Not much for bee activity here, :???: seems like if I don't do it, it isn't getting done. But pods are showing up so my efforts are paying off. :D
JEFF
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Crazy weather all over the world! Isn't it wild?

We've had 5-6 inches of rain since yesterday. Was supposed to clear off this afternoon, but now they are saying it is socked in till Saturday!

It's really bad for me, cuz with satellite internet, I can't even get on the web if it is raining. Having a reprive right now! Typing fast!

We've had quite a few bees, but have only seen 3 honey bees all year. We have little bumble bees. I was trying to beat them to the pollen Wednesday, and they are fast! I was standing right there with the scissors ready to snip and one snuck in and cleaned out the pollen in one fell swoop! This year is my first try at this and I am really enjoying watching them, even if they get my pollen! There was enough of this one to share!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
impatience

Post by impatience »

:eek: :eek: :eek: 45" of rain!!!!!!!!!! Oh Pia, I am so sorry.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

allnitro wrote:Not much for bee activity here, :???: seems like if I don't do it, it isn't getting done. But pods are showing up so my efforts are paying off. :D
Do you know I've only seen one, maybe two bees so far? Only bumble bees, and not really many of those either. A lot of blossoms falling off, or I'm getting pods on one's I'm not interested in.
New Topic Post Reply