Kudos to everyone responsible for First Look 7

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Kudos to everyone responsible for First Look 7

Post by thehostagourmet »

The best First Look ever. Kudos to Carol Brashear, Bill Meyer, Kent Terpening, and everyone involved in planning and executing a great weekend happening. A special award should be given to the group that ran the hospitality room. GREAT food (They served Friday night dinner!!), plent of liquid refreshments, and a comfortable spot to chat and discuss at the end of the day. Saw old friends and made new ones.

The tour gardens were spectacular too!

I was so pumped up afterwards that six hours of driving back went by very quickly. (I was planning today's, and the whole month's, hybridizing crosses the whole way home.)

The Auction before the banquet raised the most dollars ever. I, of course, succumbed and added to that total. The banquet speaker, Kevin Vaughn, was great. He's hybridized, it seems, almost every genus that has pollen. Even the banquet food was quite good.

Next year, First Look 8 will be in Vermont, right on the New Hampshire border. Plan on attending!

George
Kent

Post by Kent »

And a very special thank you to our very own Katails (Kathie) for all the hard work and putting this together. It was an exceptional event.

Thank you Kathie :beer:

Kent
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

I second George's comments. This was my first FL and it was so much fun. The garden tours were also excellent. Special thanks to John OBrien and Kathy Sisson for sharing those gardens...with sooo many big, beautiful hosta. It has been difficult to get hosta out of my head and focus on the real world...after three hosta-filled days. So, I took a day off to work in the gardens. :)
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
KatailS

Post by KatailS »

Thanks Kent and Willowy!
It was a great time... and what magnificent plants the winners (and 'losers') were! (There are no losers.... all the plants entered were fantastic.) Kent's winner was one of my favorites and I believe it was so worthy of the Eleanor and William Lachman Award (best seedling as decided by the AHS judges).

I must say that there were so many people who put their hard work into the show... and I appreciate them all. A successful show is always due to the hard work of many. Most important tho, I thank all the attendees for coming because without them, what's the point?

Next year will be in Ascutney, VT and will be even better (as we learn how to do things better every time).

Hats off to Carol, Bill, Barbara F, Kevin, Barbara M, Kent, John, Paula, Mary, Meg, Jim, Roy, Lori, Amy, Nicole, Anne, Barbara J, Alttara, as well as those who helped judge and clerk (who I did not already mention above)... Alex, Elaine, Mabel-Marie, Warren, Deborah, Gloria, Cathy, Rick, Bob, George, Matt, Kevin Vaughn! You made First Look 7 a success!
Cheers~
Kathie
PS.. a special thanks to Matt for helping me TAG all my hostas, too!
KatailS
barbara

Post by barbara »

There was nothing wrong with this event, as far as I saw! It was great, from beginning to end :D Kathy's garden was magnificent, the food was fantastic , hospitality was superb, vending wasn't bad either :wink: Competition plants were wonderful. It gets better every yr.! Thanks to all......YOU made it what it was! :beer:
New Topic Post Reply