What is wrong with my hostas?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
mmsgrv

What is wrong with my hostas?

Post by mmsgrv »

When these first showed up I thought that they had gotten sunburned, but now I'm not so sure. Then I started thinking that it was some kind of fungus. We've been getting a lot of rain lately. My hostas have nearly doubled in size because of all this rain, but they spent a lot of time sitting in puddles. IDK, any suggestions?
[/img]

Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--The few brown streaks look like nematodes to me. The numerous spots would cause me to be concerned about HVX.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
mmsgrv

Post by mmsgrv »

Hank, Thanks so much for responding so fast. I'm really worried about these hostas.
I did briefly consider both nematodes and HVX, but I havent had them for very long. The first pic is Love pat. I bought that at the begining of April, a few weeks later I got the Valentine Lace (third pic) and the gold regal I've only had for a little over two weeks. I wouldn't think that HVX and/or nemotodes would show up so soon. Also the Gold Regal is in a completely different bed.
Christina
ademink

Post by ademink »

The middle leaf looksl like sunburn to me - also...do you use well water? It looks like the "spottieness" of the leaf is iron from hard water.

I can't tell if there are foliar nematodes. My initial reaction would actually be "no" but Hank knows a heckuva lot more about hostas than me!!! :lol:
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

If these are new hostas for this year then they are just settling into their new homes and may take a while to acclimate to new growing conditions. I wouldn't worry about spots like these so long as the new foliage looks good.

The spots don't look like nematodes since the brown is crossing over the veins and appears more like a circular pattern. It looks more like sunburn or where hard water or fertilizer water pooled up and then evaporated. I also don't see any virus.
mmsgrv

Post by mmsgrv »

Here is a better pic of the Valentine Lace. It does have a lot of water spots. I was using a miracle grow garden feeder to water it. The white spots are almost transparent, and I wonder if something is eating it. I'm not a big fan of the Love pat and I was planning to give it to my sister who is a fan but the last thing I want to do is give her a sickly hosta. I wouldn't mind throwing out the Love Pat, but I've got a few 'treasures' next to it that I would like to keep.
I just sent an email to Chris asking him to hold off on shipping my next order until I fix this problem. It's disappointing, getting a hosta order in the mail is like Christmas. :(
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Looks like water spots and possibly some burn to me too.
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

Are any of your leaves loose if you tug on them? The only thing that makes me ask is the last photo.

Sue
ademink

Post by ademink »

I would definitely venture to say they are having the "uglies", they aren't sick. Unless there is crown rot going on, you're fine. It's 90 degrees in most places and these are new plants. Don't write them off until you've given them until next year to get established and get some new foliage!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I think you answered your question yourself - it is the miracle grow feeder. Like I mentioned, fertilizer can do this. Just switch over to plain water and you should be fine.
mmsgrv

Post by mmsgrv »

There is no crown rot. After all the puddles dried up I went outside and carefully inspected all my hostas. The discoloration you see at the base of the Valentine Lace is just dried clay. I need to clean them up with a damp washcloth.
I think my hostas are just sunburned and they'll be fine.
New Topic Post Reply