Pic of the Day--Sun Power seedling

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Sun Power seedling

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Like many hostaholics, I have tried to grow hostas from seeds. Being lazy, I have been unwilling to put in the effort to control the pollination process and instead have relied on luck and have only grown open pollinated seedlings. As luck would have it, I have gotten a few nice looking seedlings. Actually, I think I have gotten a lot of nice looking seedlings, its just that almost none of them are unique enough to consider registering. With that idea in mind, I would encourage newbies who just want to have fun, and maybe produce some not bad looking plants, to try collecting and growing seeds. In my very limited experience, I have liked the seedlings from June, Elegans, Green Piecrust and Sun Power. I also really like some seedlings from Atom Smasher but that plant is not readily available.

Most of the seedlings that I have grown are used in mass plantings on the edges of what we consider our main garden beds area. The seedlings serve that kind of purpose very well.

I have not included any of my seedlings in the Pic of the Day series because they would have little interest to most gardeners. However, from time to time I will start post a Pic of the Day of a seedling that we are using in our main beds. I have been calling today's plant Hillside Spotlight because of its bright coloring. It is an open pollinated seedling of Sun Power. I first noticed it in 2003 when it was growing in an area of full shade. I moved it to a spot that gets little direct sun but has nice open shade. In its five years there it has measured 33x20, 31x13 (after having a sport removed), 41x13, 50x28 and 61x24. It doesn't show up in the photo very well, but the plant has had some streaked leaves the last two years and I'm hoping it will produce some more sports for us. The photos are from 2003 ( when it was half hidden in a mass planting before I moved it), 2004 and 2007. For some reason, the software is showing the 2004 photo last.
Attachments
Hillside Spotlight 6-25-07c 032.jpg
Hillside Spotlight 6-25-07c 032.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Hillside Spotlight 7-2-04c.JPG
Hillside Spotlight 6-26-03c 168.jpg
Hillside Spotlight 6-26-03c 168.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I think that's a great idea. I would love to see some of your seedlings. I love this one! :cool:

The 2004 pic is a thumbnail and the software puts them at the end. I don't know why but it's happened to me too.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

It's very lovely!

Laura
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Wow! Really nice seedling, Hank! Just love the lighter streaks and the pretty piecrust edge. That one sure is a keeper!

I have a cute OP Sun Power seedling, too...looks just like Sun Power, but much, much smaller. At 4 yrs. old, hardly 10” across and 10” tall.

wanda
mmsgrv

Post by mmsgrv »

Wow! I love the bright color! It's definately an eye catcher
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hank, that's gorgeous with a capital "G." If someone hadn't considered growing their own, that could sure change your mind! Thanks for sharing that one! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Hank, your Hillside Spotlight is a sweet looking hosta! I bet it does do the spotlight amongst all your hillside hosta! Great color! And those lighter streaks are pretty cool! Is that what the sport was that you removed before? Very :cool: seedling!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

That is sure a good one. I grew some seedlings of my own last year and though they are not out of this world, some of them are looking good to me and I can't wait to see them grow up. It is just a fun thing to do!!!
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi Jane--When I took off the sport, it just has the light colored streaks. When it emerged in 2005, it looked like you see in the 1st photo. Now, it is sporting itself and looks like the 2nd photo. I have no idea what it is going to end up looking like but it sure is interesting to see this stuff happening. :D
Attachments
Hillside Spotlight sport 7-8-07c.jpg
Hillside Spotlight sport 91205c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Love your Hillside Spotlight!! Those sports are cool too!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

:o Nice plant Hank! Hillside Spotlight is incredible!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Gorgeous seedling, Hank!! 8-) Looks just as good as many of the gold hostas available for sale - better than most for me with that excellent piecrust edge!! :D That 2004 pic captures all of its best qualities. Your sport from it is looking interesting too.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

WOW, I LOOOOOVEE that one!! Are you sure you shouldn't be passing some of that on to the rest of us????? :wink: We might have to test it in various locations for you! And I have ice cream to trade. :lol: I for one would like to see more of your seedlings. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures, Hank.
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:o What a change year to year! Very :cool:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Wow, nice seedling Hank. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Beautiful

And with the few but lovely streaks.. I would bye it if it was in the trade :wink:

Great to see some of your seedlings :D

And, thanks for doing the time to brighten up our days... been raining for weeks here :cry:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply