Biggest Disappointment Hosta of the season

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
wzbt03

Post by wzbt03 »

I think it would be fun to list the hosta that was the biggest disappointment this year. Lets stick to purchases made this season.
The nice thing about this thread is that I would be shocked if any Hallson plants were mentioned. Mine all were huge successes in the gardens so far.

Okay since it my thread, my biggest disappointment was H. 'Tiffany Tune'. It is a yellow that was suppose to produce yellow offspring of many different shades.
Of course that might happen if it actually flowered which there is no chance it will. Very poor substance and never even stablized even after trying a different location. It was a multi-eyed plant that was just weak from the start and continues that way.
A pricey little hosta that in my opinion is not worth getting off the bargain bench anywhere (not that you will ever see it there). This one is highly overrated and would be a "no buy" recommendation from me. If someone else has positive things to say about it , feel free to contradict me.

Anyone else care to chime in and perhaps save someone else a disappointing experience?
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

Hanky Panky. I loved the photos. Description was sounding awesome.

Got it. I loved the way it looked for the first thirty seconds after the leaves emerged. Then... eh... not so much. :roll:

Sue
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hmm, it has to be something I bought this year? I'll have to think a while about that one, but I second Hanky Panky. I actually bought it last year, and liked how it looked early season, but now I don't care for it that much. Too bad since we will be selling it next year, and they aren't cheap. Still, it is one of the most-asked-about hostas here, so there is definitely some appeal to it. I don't have to love them all, even though they are like children ;)

Okay, this year's disappointments would probably be Lakeside Baby Face and Teaspoon. Although both have grown great, they are just so-so in the looks, and not all that unique. Plus the flowers on each were rather pale looking, and not as showy as I would like in a small plant. I get a lot of people who say "I have that one already" when they see them. Other than those I don't think I have any that were total duds this year, but I'll know more about those next spring...

Duds from past years that never made it to the catalog: High Society, Yang, Blue Beard, Titanic (really poor culls, nothing worth selling), Sugar Mama. If I think about it there are likely others too...

Oh, I just thought of one batch, but it isn't really a problem with the variety but a problem with the plants I got. That would be Faithful Heart. The ones I got in have all kinds of different colors, none of which are Faithful Heart :hmm: I consider calling them "Unfaithful Carp"
Attachments
FaithfulHeart1.jpg
FaithfulHeart1.jpg (42.87 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
John

Post by John »

Have only added some new hostas from the last secret trade, and those were all winners; just about out of room, so not buying any at present.

I agree with Chris about 'Titanic', mine was just unattractive, but got it for the name alone anyway. Replaced it with another large one, called 'Blackjack', much better!

But, I'll have to say that 'Teaspoon' is one I am enjoying, to me the leaves have an unique shape...

What I did want to say, though, was that often a hosta will need more than one season to show what it can do, so recent purchases might need another year or two. I did so much trading my first few years of collecting, that I am only now discovering how different some look in clump strength.

Interesting thread!
Jimmy Mac

Post by Jimmy Mac »

All i can say is Jeff told you so. Jimmy
haven't bought hardly anything so can't say.
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Biggest Disappointment

Post by jobranch »

I ordered a Great Expectation off the internet (sorry, not from Hallson, another nursery before I found Hallson), it arrived in poor condition and did not look like the picture on the website. With shipping, I paid $29 and ran across three at a local nursery recently that were in great shape, much more mature and priced about $15. My GE is making progress and I hope it will look much better next year.
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

I made a few new beds this summer and needed to stay with in a budget when buying plants to fill the beds....so I bought a few hostas that were not as mature because they were more affordable. I'm sad to say that my 'August Moon' has not grown a single new leaf on it this summer. I've had it in the ground now for at least 8-10 weeks. It still looks like the day I bought it. My little 'Mayan Moon' is still looking sad too. Dont think I will buy plants that young anymore. The waiting is too much!

I am considering moving the 'August Moon' this weekend to a spot that gets a little more sun. Im dissapointed to think that it needs more sun....it makes such a nice little bright 'light' in the spot i have her in. :???: Oh well.

Maybe if I left it alone it would really go to town next summer. Who knows. :roll:
Jaime
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Thank you for the feedback on Hanky Panky. Due to the great photos I've seen, it had been on the top of my wish list. I'm interested to find out what people think of it after a year or two.
I would have to say 'Orange Marmalade' was my biggest disappointment until recently when the new leaves emerged. (clickable)
I'm hoping that it will look much better NEXT year. :???:
ademink

Post by ademink »

Well, hate to say it but my Hanky Panky is a show-stopper! I love it!

Most disappointing? Well, all of the hostas I purchased at one particular nursery that ended up with foliar nematodes. :lol:

As for performance...Summer Breeze is doing nothing great for me. Just burning up left and right regardless of where it is planted!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Whirligig would be mine. I got a good sized 4 eyed plant and it's growing great, but it's all green.
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

August Moon

Post by Marlys »

August Moon IMHO is a must-have in my garden. I have 2 that are wonderful. AM grows without any bother and is a delight in the garden. Remember the 3 step program: sleep, creep, leap!

The few hostas I've purchased this year are not disappointing me.
Paradise Backstage is awesome!
Bizzare is so unique & fun!
Ghost Spirit - a true winner all the way around!
Rufus Rider (from the AHS on-line auction) growing wonderfully and very attractive with red legs!
Flower Power / awsome plant
and Cross Stitch (huge) stitched leaves!
Austin Dickinson (to keep Emily company) still in its pot (from Reldon @ ROHS auction),
Rupifraga - fun little Japanese plant!
And I have to tell - I won Red Dragon @ the ROHS auction too & it is Fabulous! It was donated from Audra Wilson garden. She always digs the best!
And my Hallson Secret Trade plants are doing wonderfully too. I'm liking them - Crested Surf & Bud Is Wiser!

The most disappointing hosta I have ever grown is Paul's Glory. But it had very poor soil and lots of sun to grow in. I just dug it up & threw it away yesterday finally! I watched it languish for several years. My soil is such heavy clay that in sunny locations it cooks to concrete texture!

MM
tap_ia_hifive_29

Post by tap_ia_hifive_29 »

To baja 220, do not give up on H. Whirlagig, at present mine is same as yours. It does emerge in spring just a charmer as it has light green/yellow actually two toned with green and gradually changes with light and season to the green. I certainly would not ever ever give it up. So the clue is to watch it closely just about every day from the time it unfurls until it goes green which takes about six weeks in my area.

Tap/Pat
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'Lakeside Baby Face'

Post by thehostagourmet »

Chris, I don't know where you have LBF planted, but I strongly disagree. A leaf of mine won me Best of Section at our last year's WNYHS leaf show. It consistantly produces beautifuel leaves on a very pretty small clump. The dark green center edged in wavy cream margins is a pretty sight. I liked it so much I bought a bunch directly from Mary a couple of years ago, and all are in pots doing great.

George
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Perhaps the Lakeside Baby Face will just get better with age then? The disappointment wasn't so much in the hosta itself, but the customer response to the hosta.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I agree with George on LBF. I got mine last year in the swap and though "eh - nothing special" THis year it is CHARMING! I love those little undulating leaves and the crisp contrast between the cream and green.

Definitely give that one a little time to settle in, it is sooooooooo worth it!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
sugar

Post by sugar »

Hanky Panky is by far my favourite Hosta purchase this year. It's simply stunning, but it needs some sun to get really attractive coulouring. In fact I bought 3 plants :bd:

Lakeside Baby Face - got it this year and I'm really fond of it. A very nice small Hosta (my mini - sagae 8-) )

Disappointments in the new purchases?
- Kiwi Spearmint : looks a mess at the moment, I guess it will be wait & see
-Little Jay : leaves are really a mess, but it's probably caused by frost damage. I hope it'll be better next year
-Bob Olsen : I thought it would stay smaller
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

I guess my biggest dissapointment is no secret. Lakeside Black Satin. A dud from the moment it arrived here early in May. Everyone says hostas "sleep, creep, leap". This one isn't sleeping, it's in a deep coma.
I've bought a LOT of hostas this year and that one is the only real dissapointment. I have some regrets such as when I bought a plant from another vendor and later learned about Hallsons and realized I could have gotten a much larger plant (and saved money on shipping-darn!) but no real let downs aside from LBS.

Marlys could you post a photo of your Paradise Backstage. I got a young plant I was told might be it and I'm trying to find out if it is.

Thanks!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
mmsgrv

Post by mmsgrv »

My biggest disappointment has to be Love Pat. Its growing very well, but it just doesn't speak to me. I just dug it up yesterday and put it in a pot to give to my sister. It had some monster roots wrapped around rocks and deep into the clay.

Everything else I've bought has exceeded my expectations.
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Re: August Moon

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Marlys wrote:August Moon IMHO is a must-have in my garden. I have 2 that are wonderful. AM grows without any bother and is a delight in the garden. Remember the 3 step program: sleep, creep, leap!
MM
I think I was just hoping to see a little growth on the little guy....it is so pretty and I would have liked to see it get a little bigger this summer. I do love the hosta, and am anxious to see how it will do in the following summers.

My patience gets the best of me though. I am going to make sure that I buy bigger plants in the begining so I am not hovering over a little baby wishing for it to grow some! LOL
Jaime
New Topic Post Reply