Pic of the Day--Moonlight

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Moonlight

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Moonlight is a 2000 purchase that, until a month ago, was growing in a spot that gets 2-4 hours of direct sun. However, It quickly reached Zilis' listing for a mature plant, 50x20, by measuring 52x18 in its 3rd year and then topped out at 54x26 the next year. I just moved it to a spot that gets about 4 hours of afternoon sun throughout the season and it seems to be satisfied with its new home. We also grow the variety, Moon Glow, and the two varieties are indistinguishable to the casual observer. Slug problems have been minimal.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... =Moonlight

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Moonlight

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/moonlight.html
moonlight 6-25-07c 056.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I love this hosta. It came by mistake years ago as one of my first mail order from a cheap supplier, labelled as something else I ordered, and I almost through it out. I'm soooo glad I didn't. :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

Hank, it's amazing to me how your hosta always seem to outgrow the "official" listing! You really do have a green thumb! This one, as usual, is really pretty. I appreciate getting your pictures - it gives me ideas for what I want, and it's nice to see them in the mature size. I always underestimate how much space they're going to need!
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

I doubt that I have a "green thumb." I think we have good soil and growing conditions for hostas. Also, I try to make sure the garden gets an inch of water a week. And, of course, there are the Gnomes.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

I need to put out some gnome bait. :)
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Moonlight

Post by redcrx »

One of my favorites - it's a sport of Gold Standard.

Here is a previous thread that looks at this same hosta this season:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56156

These shots are from last season:
Moonlight - July 6, 2011 - with look-a-likes Sarah Jane left and Starship on the right.
Moonlight - July 6, 2011 - with look-a-likes Sarah Jane left and Starship on the right.
Moonlight - July 9, 2011
Moonlight - July 9, 2011
Moonlight - July 11, 2011 - a new one growing in shade
Moonlight - July 11, 2011 - a new one growing in shade
Moonlight - July 11, 2011
Moonlight - July 11, 2011
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Moonlight

Post by redcrx »

This is the same Moonlight as above. I was cleaning out this garden today - it has a lot of Gold Standard sports. And a lot of weeds - violets, red cardinal flower weedlings, fern junk. Some of the ferns are really nasty - I have some cinnamon stick ferns in there that tear-up the hosta. Some of the fern weedlings are better behaved but I have to throw away the cinnamon stick ferns - I have no idea where they came from. The Japanese Painted Fern weedlings have to be moved.
Moonlight - May 20, 2018
Moonlight - May 20, 2018
Some variability:
Moonlight - May 20, 2018
Moonlight - May 20, 2018
The Gold Standard in back is the oldest hosta in my yard - well over 20 years old.
Moonlight - May 20, 2018
Moonlight - May 20, 2018
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply