2007 Midwest--What I bought

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Roxanne

2007 Midwest--What I bought

Post by Roxanne »

Hi All!! I just took my pix off the camera tonight from the convention. Here's what I bought, except for one.
I put it in the shade earlier, so it missed the group pic.

The 2 little guys up front are tc streakers I plan to evaluate :wink:
Dorset Clown, and Hyuga Urajiro.

The rest, L to R are 'Waukon Thin Ice', sport of Topaz, from Bob Axmear.
'Midnight Storm', a streaked Ventricosa from Bob Solberg.
'Mango Tango'--Eric Kinman's sport from Dance With Me
'Marrakech' from Kent Terpening,
and since I bought one last year that never returned, I paid
a bit more for a 'L. Beach Captain' with 3 divisions in the pot :D
Attachments
2007 Midwest buys.jpg
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Verrrry nice!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I see lots of pretties there! I hope they all grow well for you. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Roxanne, what do you think about 'Midnight Storm"? I got that one in In. after talking at length about it to Solberg. He sold me on it, and I really like it, what are your thoughts, or anyone else here who might have gotten it. It reminds me of something... and I can't figure it out. And the Emerald one I was trying to think of at Linda's is Emerald Ruff Cut, LOL. Mind mind is mush.
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Rox, the Waukon Thin Ice, sure shows up a nice blue on your photo. Since it is a sport of Topaz, I think its going to be stunning.

Now wish I would of gotten Midnight Storm, instead of the Ray of Hope. Bob, told me it is rare that ROH sets seed, but I guess I liked the name, and thought it would be a good plant to give to someone a piece of in a time, in need of HOPE! Love the waves on the leaves also.

On ebay last winter someone was selling seeds from a streak venticosa, and he had many bathces of them. Not sure if this is the same plant though. MS was a very nice looking plant.

Thanks for sharing your photos.
Jimmy Mac

Post by Jimmy Mac »

Midnight Storm is a streaked Lakeside Black Satin.Anyway thats what i was told by many people even Bob told me that.So might be a tough one to grow.Gary from Naylor creek told me.Bob Axe just sent him four more plants for tc.They will all have the walkon in front of them.Because Bob lives in Walkon Iowa.So look for them next year.Just my two cents. Jimmy
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Figures, I killed my L. Black Satin, and will prob. kill this too. :x
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Nice group, Roxanne! That Lakeside Beach Captain was really a nice plant. I got Hyuaga Urajiro this spring, and I can't believe how well that little thing is growing.
I missed Marrakesh. I'd have been tempted by that one, for sure!
I debated on Mango Tango, and then decided I would wait to see how well it grows. It was hard to resist, and I'm sure I'll end up with one sooner or later. Same deal with Waukon Thin Ice. Love that name! I also passed on Stitch in Time, so those 3 will go on my 'get it later' list.
I was really happy to get a nice 3-division clump of Regalia OS in the auction, donated by Don Dean. That's been on my list for a while. I lost the tiny little TC that I paid way too much for several years ago.
I also got both of Jeroen's introductions, Valley's Vanilla Sticks and Valley's Chute the Chute, and also got Danny's Flemish Sky. Oh, and I got Dragon Fire, Dragon Tails, and Ginsu Knife. I won a Royal Tiara from the banquet centerpiece give-away. Eight more added to the list! A friend stopped by with a nice division of American Dream, so make that nine!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Linda, sounds like you acquired some nice plants as well! :P
Trudy, You will love 'Ray of Hope' I bought it 2 years ago, and even though it never has set seed, it's a nice looking Hosta. Mine even came with a 'Roller Coaster Ride' sport attached--but I never separated it. I was all excited about a new sport, then Bob S. introduced it the following year. He had found it already. :lol: Oh well.

I forgot to mention, Kim Lisa and Andy brought me 'Peanut' and Bob and Nancy 'Baby Blue Eyes' as gifts when they stopped in on Sunday.
Lee (Noxtra) also gifted me with a Daylily and 2 potted caladiums at the convention. :P
The Hosta that didn't make my pic was 'Cathy's Clown' I am trying to get some more info on it. Strange looking plant, for sure. :P
Jimmy Mac

Post by Jimmy Mac »

Cathy's Clown look at Alley oop and see if they look the same? :eek:
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Jimmy, I think you nailed it!! :P The HL pics look identical to the plant I bought. Thanks!
whamadiddle
USDA Zone: 5

Post by whamadiddle »

rox - you were GOOD! this is what followed me home and my passenger had more :o

Ken
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

cbi Did you pull a trailer? :lol: :lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for sharing the pics/lists of the hostas you couldn't refuse. There are sure some nice ones!! :cool:

Ken - looks like you'd better start digging the new bed if you haven't already. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Ken do tell us the names of the hostas..........

We had so much fun at the convention to walk around the vendor tables and see all the plants that were for sale.
I am afraid maybe I spent way to much time in that area!
bengal

Post by bengal »

Wow! You guys got great stuff! Y'all bought more than my sum total for the summer!
bengal

Post by bengal »

Wow! You guys got great stuff! Y'all bought more than my sum total for the summer!
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Nice haul you 2 :D :D

I only came home with:

Ray Of Hope
Mango Tango
Outhouse Delight
Tootie May
Risky Business,
Bix Blues 'convention plant'
Auction Seedlings "4 pack donated by Don Dean"
a couple different sedums
whamadiddle
USDA Zone: 5

Post by whamadiddle »

TRUDY! i hate typing and you want to know what all of that is???????? well here goes....... apple court, bix blues, blackjack, blue jewel, cathy's clown, celebrity, country mouse, david reath, dorset clown, elrod, epiphany, eternity, foxfire irish moon, gentle giant, george smith, grandaddy red legs, jessie james, julia hardy, ls paddywack, ls prophecy fulfilled, manzo, maya tritone, mighty mite, miss ruby, noah's rainbow, obsession, oreo cream, over the waves, polychrome, regal providence, renaissance, royal tapestry, shirley vaughn, stingray, stonewall, summer concerto, tomo yuki and 24 carat gold. it came home in the hosta-mobile and is all planted thanks to a cool weekend and help!
Ken
bengal

Post by bengal »

Copying that list....will look 'em all up. They sound very cool indeed. In fact, the only one I've even heard of is Foxfire Irish Moon. And that's only because there was a discussion here awhile back....someone posted a picture, and I was totally done for. I ordered it, of course....

so, if I like your haul, I could be in real trouble. :lol:
New Topic Post Reply