Do hostas get scale? (Newer, New pic)

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
eastwood2007

Do hostas get scale? (Newer, New pic)

Post by eastwood2007 »

I have a number of soft bodied things that look like they may be alive, that are on the veins of some of my newer acquisitions. They look like scale only they are soft and squish when you try to pick them off. Is it a scale? Or something else someone is familiar with? They are too small I think to get a pic... :oops:
Last edited by eastwood2007 on Jul 24, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

This is easier said than done, but you might me able to get a decent pic of it if you shoot it through a magnifying glass.

I haven't seen it before on hostas, but there is a soft bodied brown scale that is frequently showing up here in Ohio on all kinds of plants, both woody and herbaceous. When they first hatch they are a creamy color, and as they age they turn to a tan, and eventually to a medium, dark brown. I have seen it on plants like Liriope, ferns, Clematis, Hollies, etal. It is quite possible that the vendor you got the plants from had an infestation on something else nearby and they moved onto the hostas. This scale has several generations per year, so population levels could build quite high in one season. Whether it could successfully overwinter on herbaceous plants like hosta is questionable, but it could survive on another host and move back to the hostas each season.

Try to get a picture if you can.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Well, I didn't use a magnifying glass, but the micro setting on my camera may have caught it. This was a little larger "one." If you zoom in on the brown speck in the center of the photo, I think you can get a good look at it. Thanks for any help ID'ing this thing...

Charla
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

That is a cool infestation to have because they will compete with the slugs.
digs57

Post by digs57 »

Sheesh! another out of season April Fool's joke! :P
Your little infestation is adorable - please send some up my way!
D.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oh, no! Sorry, wrong photo! I am using photobucket and it put that same photo incorrectly on my "Sugar Daddy" post, but I didn't think to check this one! Sheesh! I don't know what's up with that! Here's the right photo...again if you zoom in you can see a tiny tan colored spot on one of the leaves (close to the center of the pic) kinda close to the petiole. I hope someone can help!

Charla
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

I was going to say your infestation is a frog! lol! :lol:

Good luck with the real ID, are they causing any damage?

OMG! I just thought....what if it's frog poop?
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Spider wrote:I was going to say your infestation is a frog! lol! :lol:

Good luck with the real ID, are they causing any damage?

OMG! I just thought....what if it's frog poop?
Hmmmm....I don't know....I don't think I have ever seen that? Could you post a pic? :D
Charla
New Topic Post Reply