A different scent ?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
leafmould

A different scent ?

Post by leafmould »

This is a new fragrant hybrid from this years seedlings. When it first bloomed under the high intensity lighting, indoors, I noticed it had a different fragrance than any other fragrant hosta, or any of my other hybrids .. It has been my experience that the fragrance in hosta, my hybrids or otherwise, have that same Jasmine type fragrance as 'Plantaginea', just different intensities. I have fragrant hybrids with a much darker colour that have the same 'Plantaginea' scent.
I thought I'd wait for it to bloom outdoors before deciding if it is different. This is the third bloom on this hybrid and yesterday, with a side by side scent comparison with another fragrant hybrid with the typical scent, this one is different. It is very fragrant and smells like 'Thrills' chewing gum.( do they still make Thrills gum ?)
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a hosta of a different fragrance?
Attachments
DSCN8369.JPG
DSCN8369.JPG (52.49 KiB) Viewed 739 times
DSCN8348.JPG
DSCN8348.JPG (45.66 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Mr. Leafmould
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Actually, I have too. But strangely, my plant with a different scent came from an open pollinated 'Queen Josephine'. The scent is faint, but it is without a doubt scented. I don't know the history/background of QJ, but I didn't think there was ever a fragrant variety in it's lineage. The smell is more of a spicy perfume rather than the sweet plantaginea scent. Like I said, it's very faint, but I'll breed with it to see if I can bring it out more.

It's the larger gold one in the center:
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I have not noticed any myself, wish I could come and give you my opinion on yours!
That QJ seedling is beautiful, so shiny!
druff

Post by druff »

hmm leafy. i don't know. i'm not smelling anything. :lol:

nice color flower for fragrance. is there a corellation between flower color and fragrance???

love that gold shiny one. great color.

dug
New Topic Post Reply