Pick a streaker for me!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Wow, that's a pretty one, Denise. Do you know if it is fertile? :roll:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Yes, it is fertile. Wish the leaves were a little thicker, tho.
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

I think one of the more beautiful streakers I've seen is on Foxfire's website. They have one called Bamm Bamm. It seems expensive (but maybe that's what they all cost). Does anyone grow that one? I'm not thinking of getting it, I'd just be interested to know if it's as nice as it seems to be on their site.
barbara

Post by barbara »

re: Foxfire BamBam, mine has stabilized to a center variegated, but I like it so far, but maybe thats because I collect those Lachmann's....so whatever it is/looks/does, is o.k. I guess.
MrHeinz77

Streaker

Post by MrHeinz77 »

My vote goes for Blue Lightning. I also like William Lachman, Galaxy, and Outrageous. We will see how Fickle Blue Jeans and Rosedale Misty Magic are.
Jim
MrHeinz77's Hosta List

Zone 4

-91.84521 42.35827
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I just got Bamm Bamm this year. It's looking nice. I fell in love with Delta Pride at Jody's garden this year. Hubba hubba!

I also just added Pathfinder, which also has little speckles in the light colored variegation.

Anyone know if Delta Pride is available someplace?

Laura
jerry_br

Post by jerry_br »

Is Foxfire Bamm Bamm really a streaker? The only picture I have seen of it make it look as if it was already settled to a center varigated plant.

Can someone post a picture of theirs that is showing the streaking?

Jerry
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

I vote for Ice Age Trail as well . . . but then again, I love big sieboldiana types. 7th heaven is a really nice streaker as well . . . with fragrant flowers (if I'm remembering correctly . . . still hasn't flowered this year). Galaxy and Dorset Clown would round off my top choices.
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Bengal,

As you can see, everyone refers to these as whether or not they set seed, since streakers are primarily desirable as breeding plants. That doesn't mean that we don't grow them for their looks, too, but they can be very unstable and will often settle out to an edge or middle variegated pattern unless the really streaky eyes are kept separate from any stabilizing eyes.

Personally I don't grow too many streaked plants because I am not actively hybridizing, although I sure am thinking about it a lot, planning out what I might start mixing together one day.

The bigger problem with streaked plants is that even with the named ones the streaking varies greatly from plant to plant. That means you really have to shop them in person or see a picture of the actual plant before you decide to buy.
bengal

Post by bengal »

Interesting points you make, Chris. I have to confess, I'm kind of relieved about 'em. Streakers may not be for me, at least not for a while -- not until I've beefed up my small collection with many (many, many) more hostas. And that's good because everyone's suggestions sounded -- and looked -- fantastic! My list was so long it looked like it was about to explode all over my computer's innards. :lol:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I got Cristmas Tree Gala this summer and love it... it is blue :lol:

but, what about getting some seeds from streaded mums in the winther... out of one 20 seed bag you can get either one or 7 streakers... and after some years you may have one beautiful one... :lol:

All streakers are very unstable and it can be hard to accept the $50 or more you gave show up to be an all green or center varigated hosta next year

But i love my streakers and accept the risk :lol:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

This is one of my favorites...Galaxy. Fertile as well as a beauty. Thumbs are clickable.

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Ohhhhhh! That Galaxy is beautiful! It is at the top of my list! Can't wait! Ohhhhhh!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
hostalady

Post by hostalady »

This year I have added several streakers to my collection. I wish I could get DH to figure out how to post pics......but.

Anyway, I have Ice Age Trail, Galaxy, Stargate and Regal Provedence. And I love 'em. Even if they never set seed, I really love the way they look.
When it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile
New Topic Post Reply