A conversation with Bruce Banyai

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

Yes I did mean that. I think it's bizarre to say "If we mulch which feeds the soil and water the entire area that reduces root competition."
I see how you are using the term no-till, if I understand you plant under trees and periodically root prune the tree roots around the hosta.

My point is if you plant under trees and do not root prune then to feed and water the entire area would cause the trees to not come to the well fed and watered hosta. Think I could have worded that better?

“Overall it is not a terribly strong argument for a method that has not gained wide acceptance in farming.”

Actually she has wide acceptance with many farmers, especially organic farmers. And I am saying clearly that many row cropping and pot culture rules or ideas do not work well in perennial gardens.

Back to the root pruning idea, as obvious as this is as a method of controlling root competition I had not thought of it or heard of it from anyone else. Tell me about your practice, what, how and when do you do this. Root pruning is well known in commercial tree growing and this sounds like the reverse or do I misunderstand.
Conflict is as addictive as
Cocaine, Alcohol, Cigarettes
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Wild Dog wrote:
My point is if you plant under trees and do not root prune then to feed and water the entire area would cause the trees to not come to the well fed and watered hosta. Think I could have worded that better?

Stop down here and I'll dig a few hostas for you to see that they WILL come to the holes rather quick. I tilled my whole bed about 2 years ago under some trees here and damaged a considerable amount of feeder roots. Now within 6 months later I was pulling huge balls of feeder roots out of my planting holes. I water the whole bed and surrounding area and fertilize the same way. I've dug dummy holes in the beds also and those are full of roots also. After time soil starts to compact after tilling and the trees are looking for the easiest source for food and water. Since most gardeners prefer not to till a area there not planting it gives the tree a reason to move it's root system in the beds.
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

Whew, let's end this thread here now that we have a warm fuzzy moment, shall we?
At the risk of leaving anyone to believe we (you and I) have any part of a warm fuzzy moment. Re-read my words directly and empathetically my simple feeling is that you are eat up with CS. I am again calling you out one man to another to spare the rest from your clear personal attacks Well written though it is which even offends me more because I cannot imagine why you would take an apparent ample intellect, analytical ability and writing skills to do this. Regardless of your underlying intent I am calling you out directly and personally.

Butch Ragland
9450 John Smith Rd
Depauw, In 47115
502-594-8363
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Butch,
Why is it when opinions differ from yours, you try to make excuses to take this to a phone? I'm just trying to figure out why you start a topic and then when questioned you bring up the phone and say it's not appropriate to discuss here. Both Bill and Homer are asking valid questions and your getting defensive bigtime!! If your going to call people out then use the forum to dicuss this and leave the phones out of it. Just remember that WE all have are opinions and if they differ from yours doesn't mean anything. It's the 2 or 3 different opinions that make this a great discussion. America was built on different opinions!!
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

Stop down here and I'll dig a few hostas for you to see that they WILL come to the holes rather quick.
Jamie, read Meyer's post and my response. That may be the answer. The only thing I ever considered was planting bags with spin out.

I don't like the idea of going through my garden and root pruning every 2 years or so but that may be the answer.

I still say if you only water and feed the hosta then the tree roots will come sooner, if not sooner more determinedly and with a vengeance but this does not discount Bill’s approach.
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

Butch,
Why is it when opinions differ from yours,
Interesting to me that I have never responded to a personal attack in this manner but my simple belief is that Homer's post are personal so I am reacting personally and directly.

I'm not the least bothered by a difference of opinion or whether anyone agrees with my understanding, knowledge or opinions but I don’t for one second believe that Homer’s questions are a difference of opinion.

I understand that you see it differently, I do not!
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

Wild Dog wrote:
Whew, let's end this thread here now that we have a warm fuzzy moment, shall we?
At the risk of leaving anyone to believe we (you and I) have any part of a warm fuzzy moment. Re-read my words directly and empathetically my simple feeling is that you are eat up with CS.
Aw, Butch, what an ugly thing to say. Does this mean we can't be friends? I'm not sure I could bear it if I thought we could not be friends. But exactly what is CS?
I am again calling you out one man to another to spare the rest from your clear personal attacks Well written though it is which even offends me more because I cannot imagine why you would take an apparent ample intellect, analytical ability and writing skills to do this. Regardless of your underlying intent I am calling you out directly and personally.
Okay, I'll come clean. My real intent is to try to make some sense of your posts.

For about 2-3 years, I've read your posts here and elsewhere, sprinkled with allusions to in-depth studies and quotes from the who's who in hostadom and PhD's that I've never heard of. However, none of it made sense, and in my very first interaction with you, I asked you three different times to give me a citation to the research you were referring to. You finally gave me some links to research articles that had nothing to do with what you were saying, and you confused an awful lot of people. That's not teaching, it's confusing.

Now, 2-3 years later, in this very thread, you've dug up the exact same quote you used when I first asked you questions to try to make sense of what you were aggressively saying was the "only way to do things." That quote still hasn't applied to the topic being discussed, at least not with the way it was presented.

Many moons ago, when I told you that you might want to consider being a bit nicer, especially to new people on these forums who are just starting to get excited about hostas, you said you didn't care about being nice because the rule of 1/3rd's comes into play. Remember? 1/3 thinks that how you are acting is okay, 1/3 doesn't like it, and 1/3 just don't care.

Well, by my way of thinking, hostas are the friendship plant, and I've made a lot of friends both here at Hallson's and elsewhere because of hostas. I even offered to buy you a beer when you got all bent out of shape the first time I disagreed with you. The rule of 1/3rd's just doesn't cut it here.

However, when a personality disseminates speculation as fact, and does so in a manner that scares off other friendly people in an effort to build up that person, I guess I might get a little territorial and defensive about keeping a safe haven for those newbies looking to explore this great community. I guess that's because I remember how excited I was 6 years ago when I found Hallson's, and I put myself in the shoes of other people that are given questionable advice in a gruff tone.

In all honesty, my first two posts in this thread were simply to try to get you to give me some solid research to support your point so that I could study it in more detail and understand where you were coming from.

I had hoped that the leopard had changed his spots when he came to Hallson's . . . but it does not appear that this is the case. Feel free to make personal challenges and offers to crazy contests, but this is a forum where we come together to try to find answers to questions and talk around different ideas and concepts. I'm not interested in a urinating contest, or in speaking with you on the phone. You lost my interest when you introduced the rule of 1/3rd's.

Good day.
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sorry, but this topic turned ugly fast and I should have locked it quite some time ago.

It is unfortunate that an interesting discussion had to include personal attacks and threats.

Let's put this whole incident behind us.

Chris
Locked Locked