Pic of the Day--Maekawa

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Maekawa

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Yesterday I commented that not all hostas can be above average. I'm not sure how to categorize Maekawa. It has not performed very well in out garden, but that is by comparing its size to the 50x17 listed for a mature plant. In looking at the photos in the Hosta Library, it does not appear that those plants are much larger than the one in our garden. Another possible problem with out plant may be that it is located on a steep slope, causing its posture to be tear drop shaped. Other varieties on this slope do not have the problem. I am thinking of putting it in a flat spot to see how it looks there. Starting in 2002 the measurements have been 12x9, 15x5, 19x7, 25x7, 24x10 and 34x10. I do think a good clump of Maekawa would be quite attractive and distinctive.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ty=Maekawa
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Maekawa
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/meakawa.html

The pix are from 2002, 2004, and 2007.
Maekawa 6-25-07c 015.jpg
Maekawa 7-8-04c.JPG
maekawa 6-24-02c 130.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

I love this hosta. Honestly, I think the sloped location is best for it simply because of its growth habit and low, arching scapes. It's good for seedlings too. It flowers that same time as many fragrant varieties. :wink:
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I have Hypoleuca, but not Maekawa, not sure I would be able to tell the difference fro the Maekawa plants I have seen in gardens. It's one of the first 'rare' plants I bought, after exhausting what I could find at the big box stores. Maekawa is supposed to be a selection of Hypoleuca, so my comments are about Hypoleuca.

The natural habitat is on rocky cliffs, and the scapes hand low, so being on a steep slope sounds perfect.
A mature division consists of one leaf and a flower scape.
Really bizarre!
It's fertile both ways, and the seedlings are the weirdest things I have, typically characterized by floppy big leaves, with white backs.
I have really nice seedlings from the cross with June (yellows, greens and blues), Blue Arrow, and another tardiana. By nice I mean unique but not floppy and weird looking.
Azure Snow (have had a while) and Lemon Meringue (just got this) are the seedlings discussed in Zilis's Hosta Handbook. Azure snow is fertile, Lemon Meringue did not set seed for me this year, may be too young.
Because of the single leaf division, Hypoleuca does not divide easily or multiply rapidly, and a clump is very disorganized looking.
I don't think it will ever be an attractive plant in the garden, but definitely a great conversation piece. Great for hybridizing too.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

A new introduction called Nutty Professor is a white edged version.
Ed Elslager used Hypoleuca a lot in his breeding program.
Here is a sample of the variety in my seedlings:
Hypoleuca x Metallica
The gold one is Hypoleuca x June
Hypoleuca x Azure Snow
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I have Maekawa, Azure Snow and Lemon Meringue...and will NEED Nutty Professor as soon as its available...just love the form of these! So neat how those short petioles somehow hold the big leaves perfectly horizontal. Love how the edges of Maekawa turn up making a triangle-shaped cup...and show the white back.

These all grow very well for me: Maekawa has 24 eyes this year and Azure Snow has 10. Lemon Meringue is new and only has 3 eyes.

Keep at it Dr. Dave...we need more like these!!!

wanda
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Is the white-edged one 'Nutty Professor'? (The one you have listed as Hypoleuca x Metallica?) I love its dainty edge!
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

No, Nutty Professor is not pictured, I just mentioned that it is an example of a hosta you can get that is a hypoleuca heritage. It has a pretty wide white margin. Bob Solberg is selling it.
Those pics are solid colored blue, gold and green ones in my seedling area. The green might be more dusty bluegreen, it looks like it's trying to decide what color it want to be.
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

That Hypoleuca x Metallica is a nice looking plant, Dave!

I picked up Nutty Professor in Davenport last month...can't wait for it to grow up!
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Thanks, Josh. It just started flowering yesterday, they look nice and big, and a fairly erect scape. I guess now I'll have to take another picture. 8-)
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Hank,
I'm sure I don't have to tell you that to get a Maekawa to that size is really something.
Maekawa is a bit fussy in my opinion and does not do well in all gardens. On tours I would see plants years old that had four or five leaves.
Yours is a testament to your horticulture skills.
That tear drop shape, according to my reading, is typical of a plant that grows on slopes and photos I've seen of Maekawa in the wild show shapes similar to what yours looks like.
Personally, I like it ... I really like it ... it is just growing according to its nature.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hank, I love the growth habit of your Maekawa. I have often wished for a hillside to grow mine on. Mine is planted on a fairly flat spot, and still tends to hang to one side like that.
Wanda...you have a Maekawa with 24 eyes? I didn't know it could get that big! Mine is 6 years old this year and I was delighted to find 4 eyes when it came up in the spring.
Dave...NICE seedlings. I really like the HypoleucaXMetallica. And why didn't I see Nutty Professor? I guess my vision was hosta-glazed. I have Lemon Meringue...a bit slow but very lovely this year, and Azure Snow. I've had some trouble siting Azure Snow to get the best out of it, but it's staying put for now. It seems to be easily torn in the wind, and I have plenty of wind on this hilltop.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

LindaP: I have a hosta that is bigger than one of yours?!? That just doesn’t seem possible! I always look when you post, so I can see what my hosta will look like when they grow up!!! I think my Maekawa is only 6 yrs. old this year...it must really like it here. Both Maekawa and Azure Snow make nice big thick circle shapes here rather than the teardrop shape I often see in pix.

wanda
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

24 eyes 8-) but for how long will it have those 24 eyes......
heading out to see what I might offer in exchange :D

Hank, nice as usual! And on the hill it hangs sweetly :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Be patient, Jane...I don’t even have a spare for myself yet (yikes)...that is why it still has so many eyes! Probably next year I will divide it in half to have a spare...so 3 yrs. after that I will likely take some divisions off the spare to share. I will keep you in mind!

wanda
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Wanda.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Too funny!
I went out and looked again at Maekawa, and I was wrong...it has 6 eyes. It's strange to only be counting one leaf as an eye, but that's the way this one grows. There are also 6 flower scapes, in full bloom right now. I'm hoping to get some seeds this year.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

I found an old pic of Maekawa, from 2005. It had only 8 eyes then; last year it had 16 eyes; this year has 24 eyes. I just love how the ends cup up! That is Jade Cascade in the upper left - it had only 8 eyes in this pic...now it has 25!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12156004@N06/1233099735/

wanda
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Dr. Dave....patiently waiting for that new pic of 'hypoleuca' x 'Metallica' seedling with its scape on....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Here are pics from yesterday.
hypometalflowe.jpg
hypometalflowe.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
hypometalflow.jpg
hypometalflow.jpg (19.18 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
hypometalscape.jpg
hypometalscape.jpg (42.66 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Just to show the variety, here is a grex mate (same seed pod) Hypoleuca x Metallica.
It is shiny green and looks a lot like h. 'Cross Stitch'.
Flowers are lavender.
hmetalstitchflow.jpg
hmetalstitchflow.jpg (26.83 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
hmetalstitchdetail.jpg
hmetalstitchdetail.jpg (27.7 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
hmetalstitch.jpg
hmetalstitch.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Dave,
Impressive ...
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
New Topic Post Reply