Walden

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
wzbt03

Walden

Post by wzbt03 »

Hosta 'Walden'

Soon to be tested.
Attachments
Walden.jpg
Walden.jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Even if it isn't virused I'm not sure I would want to grow it. :wow:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Ewww! :-? Not in my garden in this lifetime! That just does not look well! :o
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

wzbt03,
Please let us know the results. Myself am to paranoid to even take a chance with a plant like this. I do know a few that like to collect virused plants and it's our choice to collect what we want so I don't sit and criticize things people collect. I'm hoping that it's a virus and is just a pattern like Filagree and a few other show :wink:
wzbt03

Walden

Post by wzbt03 »

I picked this one up just to have it tested.

It is about to go into flower and I am going to do a cross with other pollen since the plant is completely separated and potted.
I then intended to grow the seed (if there is any and completely separate from other plants) and see if the traits pass on to the seedlings.
If it is HVX positive then I will see if the virus passes on to the seedlings. It is my understanding that it probably does through the seed coat.
Since this plant is so grossly showing the leaf patterns, it may make a good one to try this on.
When the experiment it done (if it test positive) the mother plant and seedlings will be destroyed after noting the results. It will not be the type of thing where I wait years to see if it passes on. If nothing shows or if it does show the virus then the seedlings will never see April.

If it proves to be virus free (which I doubt) I then own the ugliest plant in the neighborhood.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Yep, and I just hope if it is virused, you'll burn that thing in a really hot oven! :D

I'd be afraid some bunny would chew on it, then go over to my good hosta and chew on those and keep it up all night, till I had a yard full of them! :( I couldn't/wouldn't chance it.

Or, It would be my luck, the virus would become what's that word? When it changes and then becomes Airborne? :eek:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
wzbt03

Learning

Post by wzbt03 »

Since almost every garden or nursery you visit anymore seems to have some suspect plants, if it spreads that easy then we are all in trouble.

Education is the key and by testing the plant, those with Walden such as my OS plant will know to destroy it.
It is isolated and in my opinion poses no threat to any other plant.

I think Chris and Hallsons are leading the charge on HVX and educating people on it.

Walden is suppose to be one of the "safe" ones. The testing should open some eyes on people who grow the "safe" ones perhaps.
ademink

Post by ademink »

I'm curious to find out the results of this, as well! This is the (actual) plant that started the thread where I asked if it was infected. I saw it on Ebay and was scared of it! :lol:

Keep us posted! :D
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
wzbt03

Flower

Post by wzbt03 »

This is the flower, very nice white and fragrant.
Attachments
Walden Flower.jpg
Walden Flower.jpg (19.52 KiB) Viewed 945 times
New Topic Post Reply