Pic of the Day--Queen Josephine

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Queen Josephine

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Queen Josephine is the first of about 15 hosta varieties that are growing along a path that runs under a canopy of trees that allows some late afternoon sun to fall on some areas along the path. The beds along the path were planted beginning in 1999. Before then, this area was undeveloped forest floor. Queen Josephine was purchased in 2000 and planted in a spot that gets no direct sun. It's eye catching, shiny foliage grew slowly, with sizes, beginning in 2001, of 16x10, 25x15, 24x14, 28x12, 28x12, 29x14, and 27x12 this past summer. Apparently my plant will not reach the 42x17 size that Zilis lists for a mature plant. With substantial substance, QJ has had very little slug damage.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... 0Josephine
MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Queen+Josephine
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/q/queen.html

The pix are from 2002, 2004, and 2007.
Queen Josephine 6-24-02c 146.jpg
Queen Josephine 6-25-07c 036.jpg
Queen Josephine 6-25-07c 036.jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
Queen Josephine 7-8-04c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I loooooovvvvvveeeee QJ! I'm a sucker for the shiny ones and this one is as pretty as they get, IMO. :wink:
Attachments
QueenJosephineFCB6-21-05.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Unfortunately mine appears to be shrinking! :eek: I'm thinking it's the maple we've allowed to grow in that bed. Bad choice. The tree has GOT to go! Love yours both! Great pics!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Beautiful pics! :cool: I love Queen Josephine. :D Mine looks like it's shrinking this year too. I think I'm going to move her. My Elizabeth Campbell was being choked by Oak roots in another bed and I think that might be QJ's problem too.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Funny isn't it? Hosta Vs. Trees, a can't live and can't live without relationship :???:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Dovid

Post by Dovid »

Is there a general recommendation about what trees to avoid when planting hostas? I can understand that a tree that provides dense shade would not be the best choice, and a tree that is a heavy feeder would compete with hostas. However, I have seen gardens where hostas were planted underneath French lilacs (themselves heavy feeders) and doing well. I have also seen hostas planted underneath an arbor on which clematis was growing. The hostas looked great despite or because of the abundance of filtered sunlight they received. I read that in the wild a lot of the hosta species grow in clearings rather than underneath a forest canopy. Perhaps we are siting hosta beds in too deep a shade.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi Dovid--Welcome to Hallson's. :D The only group of trees that I am aware of to avoid is maples. Maples have a very extensive root system that makes growing any perennials under/near them difficult to impossible.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Pic of the Day--Queen Josephine

Post by Eleven »

'Queen Josephine', purchased in 2010 and barely survived a bunny attack with two tiny eyes, now finally getting some size:
~Shawna
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: Pic of the Day--Queen Josephine

Post by irawon »

My Queen Josephine is located in my problem hosta bed which I started in 2008 under spruce trees, not realizing that the root system of this type of pendulous spruce tree would stunt the growth of some of the hostas. Queen Josephine has been a tough little hosta increasing in size slowly. QJ's tag at purchase led me to believe that the mature size would be 12"H and 32"W. If I see that it is decreasing in size, I'm going to dig it up and line the planting hole with layers of newspaper to fend off the tree roots. That should work for a year or so. Mine gets dappled light and isn't bothered by slugs or earwigs.
Attachments
May 25, 2012
May 25, 2012
New Topic Post Reply