Hosta as water line marker

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Muddy fingernails

Hosta as water line marker

Post by Muddy fingernails »

A bad thing happened with the water meter in the basement: it blew apart and flooded a room down there. We will speak no more of it, except the part where hostas are involved.
Turning off the water involved more than cranking the shut off valve in the basement. It required prolonged searching with an electronic gizmo that buzzes at certain frequencies when approaching metal in the ground.
It must not be very trustworthy, because the water department guy did not follow its insistent, high pitched buzzing, but started digging a deep hole about three feet from the apparent location. I was fascinated!
The pipe was located, caps were unscrewed, valves were opened and closed ( was that east-west for open or north-south?)
I had a brainstorm when the water department guy came back after lunch. I told him I would mark the spot forever with a nice hosta - that's a plant! So, I selected a nice specimen of H. fortunei Albomarginata, threw some rabbit food into the hole, plopped the plant in and tamped down the soil.
He was impressed and happy not to have to use the shovel again. I am thinking of a little blue flag ( blue for water) to make sure no other hostas will ever be harmed in the search for utilities.
Pictures to follow.

Antje is Muddy fingernails
Look for me in the garden.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Good idea! Hope you didn't have much water damage....bummer...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Sorry for your water problem, but I must say that you certainly do tell a good tale! :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Yes, nice story, but dang! :x sorry for the water damage :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Hmmm, maybe you should have planted 'Queen of the Seas', or Water Works, or Water's Edge there.

:wink:
Muddy fingernails

Thanks all for your concern. The basement is old field stones and cement floor, from 1860. It's fairly used to water. I have a lot of cleaning up to do. All those cardboard boxes, from computers that don't exist anymore, now have to be smooshed into garbage bags and hauled upstairs.
The hosta choice was more dependent on what I had and was willing to put up there.
I like your choices, though, largosmoom. Don't have any of those yet.
sownsew

water line marker

Post by sownsew »

So sorry about the water in the basement.
Been there ....done that ..Myself! :oops:
I left the soaker hose on for ...umm, uhh, 'a little too long', and the water seeped in through where the floor meets the wall. ( Thoroughly watered!)
That made a long over-due purging necessary.
And guess that I did not learn the lesson, I did it again a few days later. :roll:
DH was happy only with the pile of Trash.
I now stick a post-it in a prominent place. Or put my watch on the wrong wrist, if I think I can remember why I did THAT!
But the main reason I'm posting is the rabbit food reference.
What is that all about?
Or have I just been taken in again?
Nancy
Muddy fingernails

Rabbit food=alfalfa pellets. I got this hint from this forum some time ago. I bought some, tried it and all the plants loved them. It did not perceptibly increase the rabbit population in my garden,either.
I buy it at my local farm store, local meaning 22 miles one way. The length I go to to cater to my hostas!
:)
sownsew

water line marker

Post by sownsew »

Thanks
That's very interesting.
Wonder what it provides....nitrogen?
You said that you put it in the hole when planting.
Do you use it for established plants...sprinkle it around the base?
Glad it doesn't increase the rabbit population, those little...critters! don't need any help. :evil:
And the cat seems to have lost her taste for rabbit. (Though I don't miss the 'left-overs' on the doorstep.) :eek:
My backyard neighbors feed the deer, that's more than enough varmint encouragement.
:evil:
Thanks again
Nancy
Muddy fingernails

Nitrogen and other stuff in a pleasing combination. I sprinkle a handful around every plant and then water . The pellets puff up and look quite funny for a few days , then slowly get absorbed into the soil. When I happen to plant, I throw some into the hole with water and set the plant on top of it.
I don't know if it is better than Miracle Grow or other fertilizers, but it is no worse.
I have only one geriatric cat who may be hunting but then forgets to bring me any body parts. ( Big sigh of relief)
Pleasant day!

New Topic Post Reply