Pic of the Day--Holy Mole

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Holy Mole

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--For those of you who live outside of the U.S. the expression "Holy Moly" probably doesn't make much sense. On the face of it, you are correct. However, in the States somehow it has come to mean an expression of surprise. So, how do we explain the name of today's plant "Holy Mole"? Well, I guess the answer lies outside of the U.S., in Mexico, where "mole" is a great sauce used in Mexican dishes.

So what has that got to do with hostas? Well, the hosta "Holy Mole" is a sport of Guacamole (another well known Mexican sauce) and when Hans Hansen and Tony Avent introduced the plant in 2003 they creatively carried on the name heritage to come up with Holy Mole.

I really like both the name and the plant. Growing in the full shade of our Friendship Garden, the plant has a wonderful opalescent quality that I find very appealing. And, as might be expected from a plant in the plantaginea/Guacamole lineage, it has fragrant flowers. Our plant has measured 18x12 and 21x11, slowly growing towards the 42x24 expected at maturity. Is anyone growing this plant in a lot of sun? With its genes, it should do well.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... oly%20Mole
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Holy+Mol%E9
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/h/holymoly.html
holy Mole 6-25-07c 012.jpg
Holy Mole 9-20-06c 013.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

LOL Hank... know holy mole as a US saying... here we say or rather said.. old fasioned... holy cow :o don't give more sence :wink:

It is so funny to see you posting pics of newbees, but it is nice and sometimes I wonder.. how can he grow them so big/full in one year :D
The friendship plant sure love your friendship garden :D

Nice hosta :oops:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Hank,
My Holy Mole is new this year and gets full sun from morning until about 1 pm. I took this photo today to post it here.
It has one rather crispy leaf and some crispy edges. :o
Guess it should be moved next year.
However, I do like the color. (Clickable)
Ceil
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Pia--The exclamation is "Holy Moly". Notice the spelling is different than the name of the hosta. Don't ask me what a "Moly" is. I don't have any idea. :D [/b]
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I like the coloring on this one. VTHosta, I noticed yours appears to have narrower centers or wider borders as it should probably be said. Is it perhaps an older one, and they borders get wider with age, or is it the sun exposure do you think? Both are handsome, not sure really which I like better! :D Thanks for sharing them both!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Jane,
This is one that I got this year from Chris. I guess it's just immature and will get to look like the real Holy Mole in time. Guess the additional sun exposure might be the reason for the difference too.
Ceil
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Okay, thanks. I thought perhaps the borders would get wider with age, not less. Thanks though. :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply