Pic of the Day--'Sum Cup-o-Joe'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--'Sum Cup-o-Joe'

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--'Sum Cup-o-Joe' is a Sum and Substance sport. Unlike the other two S & S sports that we have which have dark green centers, 'Sum Cup-o-Joe' has a lighter green center to go with its white edging. As most hostaphiles know, S & S is often the largest hosta in a collection and we might expect its sport to be very large also. And that is how the Hosta Library describes 'Sum Cup-o-Joe', however the registration size is only 46x26. That smaller size is more in keeping with our Friendship Garden's plant which only reached 15x5 this summer. Maybe its third year will be a real leap year.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... 0Cup-o-Joe
MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Sum+Cup-o-Joe
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/sumcup.html
sum cup-O-Joe 6-25-07c 017.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Thanks for posting these daily pictures...

Jeff
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Jeff--I'm glad you are enjoying them. :D
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--For those of you who are not familiar with slang words here in the States and for those in the States younger than 40 years or so, here is my explanation for the name "Sum Cup-o-Joe". The easy part is that it is a sport of Sum and Substance, therefore the word "Sum".

Now for the arcane part. Many years ago coffee somehow got he slang name "Joe". So, it was fairly common to use the phrase "a cup of Joe" when referring to a cup of coffee. So, someone might say "that was some cup of Joe" when they described a good cup of coffee.
Last edited by Hank Zumach on Oct 01, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
jgh

Post by jgh »

Ed Eslager really had a way with hosta names!

I think maybe the last AHS Journal had an article about Ed's unique way of registering hosta names, virtually guaranteeing that he will have the first hosta in the registration alphabet, and also the last... if memory serves, it was Hosta 'A B-1 Bomber' and H. 'ZZZZ - A Sleeping Beauty' -

I was a little ticked off, as I had come up with the idea to name one ZZ Topp, figuring that would assure "last place." But sorry to hear about Ed's passing...

correct me on the details on this, folks - working from memory here!
Last edited by jgh on Oct 01, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

JGH-- :oops: :oops: How about ....I'll just delete the part in the message about contacting Ed. :oops: :oops:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
New Topic Post Reply