"Black Satin" versus Lakeside Black Satin

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ckp

"Black Satin" versus Lakeside Black Satin

Post by ckp »

When I looked up Black Mountain in the H. Library I came across "Black Satin". Does anyone have it? Can you compare it to Lakeside Black satin? I have LBS and have had nothing but trouble with it. I keep moving it around( part shade full shade, and everything in between.)

When my daughter's cat died LBS was to be a memorial to him, if BS(he,he) is a better grower I could replace LBS with it.
Charlene
Charlene
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Hello Charlene,

I got LBS this past June. Nothing but a pain! It grew to a massive (NOT) 3.5" tall this summer. When I complained to the seller he said not to worry it would grow. I wrote to Mary Chastain who said it should be bigger and that there was a problem with the plant I got. I suspect a bad batch of TC LBS is the problem but no way to prove it.
I'm not familiar with the other plant you mentioned.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I've heard lots of folks with issues with LS Black Satin. Mine did nothing last year (its 2nd year here), less this year, then got frozen to the grownd. Was 3 in. tall with 2 small eyes. I noticed the crown seemed a little high so put some more soil around it. Pop...another eye and 4 more leaves. Hoping for better next year.... :roll:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Charla is it any taller? I need glasses to see mine. I should say my two since in the process of moving it looking for a better location it separated into two plants. Neither is showing any improvement. I'll be very surprised to see them show up next year.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Molly!

Here's a pic of mine I took today. Sorry for the bad quality. The new eye is the top one. It is only about 3" tall, but is 3 eyes now. Most of my hostas, after being frozen back to the ground this spring, look like babies again. It was about 10" tall when I got it. I am hopeful.

This hosta gets very little direct light. But you can see it hasn't even started going dormant yet. Again, hopeful...
Attachments
1011 004.jpg
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Yours looks much better than mine Charla! I've never seen it at 10" !! If it dies I doubt I'll look to replace it.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
New Topic Post Reply