Would You...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Shade Tolerant

Would You...

Post by Shade Tolerant »

Keep these hostas in your garden?

They looked fine for three years, until now. I'm sure I should just toss them as I have other healthy Gold Standards and Sea Dream isn't that hard to replace. I dug them up and put them in isolation last week. The funny coloring on both of them makes me nervous even though they're displaying different signs. I'm fairly certain Sea Dream is showing symptoms of HVX but I'm not sure what's going on with the Gold Standard. They were planted very close to each other so it's certainly possible both could possibly be infected.

Before this year all of my hostas were grown in shade, hence my screen name. When I moved my collection they had to get used to a lot more light. I convinced myself that the "color changes" on these two was the abundant sunshine they were receiving. I'm sure this sounds like I'm in complete denial but before I ditch these two I'd welcome opinions. Has anyone seen sun damage like this when moving plants from heavy shade to sun?
So...what would you do? Keep or toss one, none or both?

Top pic is GS taken in May, bottom pic is how this GS looks now.

Top pic is SD in May, bottom pic how it looks now.

jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

I would hang on to both and see what they look like next year. I have three GS that look a lot worse than yours. I thought one in particular had HVX and after posting a picture, was reassured that it was OK. Mine got to much sun/heat and has caused them to look similar in color. I would not worry too much and see what they look like in the spring.

Jeff
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Your Sea Dream looks far better then mine does! I've had Sea Dream for 6 plus years now and it's grows in mostly shade only a few hours of morning sun! Sea Dream is always the first of my hosta to look bad starts falling apart towards the end of August begining of September. If it wasn't for it's bright golden yellow during spring and most of summer I would pitch it! Not only that it's a slug magnet, so snail bait is a must starting early in the spring and reapplying often!

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Do not see HVX, but a serious sunburn... think they will be fine next year

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I think they both look fine too. Just seasonal color changes :D
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Look like there tired to me :-).. Now if I showed you mine you'd think yours looked good :-)
John

Post by John »

Reminds me of the seasonal changes (as Chris said) of 'Fan Dance' and 'Janet'. Albescence?
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Looks like a little sunburn to me, also. GS in particular shows HVX pretty quickly and it is really obvious. I, too, think they are okay. :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Shade Tolerant

Post by Shade Tolerant »

Wow, I never would have thought it. So I guess the consensus is a reprieve then?
Carol I appreciate the pic of your SD, it helped me to compare it to mine at this time of year.
Jeff, Pia, Jamie, John and Charla thank you so much for your responses.
And Chris of course a big thanks for your words of wisdom and expertise!

I think I'll plant these two in their own bed. Thinking of a little area that gets a bit more shade.
New Topic Post Reply