New plant seems to be rotting

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

New plant seems to be rotting

Post by baja220 »

I received this plant on the 17th of Sept. The leaves were cut as well as the roots. Don't know why the roots were cut. It also seems to have crowns as 3 different heights. I planted it on the 20th. But today what's left of the stems look like they're rotting. They're mushy. What should I do to save it and what height would have you guys planted this hosta?

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Debbie, Hi!

Are these pics of it the day you got it or now? To me, the roots don't look like they have been cut recently, but maybe when the grower planted it? If you got it from a nursery substantially further north than you, it may just be going dormant. Are just the petioles mushy or the crown/eyes themselves? It may have been damaged in harvesting...have you contacted the grower for their opinion? If it is a reputable grower, they may be able to help...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

It looks fine to me, but I don't recommend cutting the roots. There have been much discussion about cutting roots with opinions on both sides, take your pick.

I would plant fairly high then mulch about 2-3 inches. Most growers guarantee the plants so if it doesn't come up next year then you can deal with it.

I've grown more hosta than you can count I wouldn't worry period! In fact I received plants 3 weeks ago that looked exactly like that.
Conflict is as addictive as
Cocaine, Alcohol, Cigarettes
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
baja220

Post by baja220 »

Charla, It did come from up north, but it doesn't look like it's going dorment. The petioles are getting icky, slimey, mushy. I haven't dug down to the crown to see if it's getting icky too. Think I should dig it up and take a look see? I haven't contacted the grower yet, but he's pretty easy to get along with.

Butch, I didn't cut the roots, it came that way. I don't cut roots unless they are dead, but then those usually just pull out. So, you would've planted the top crown just below the surface? I planted it so the soil level was up to the top of the white on the stem, but I removed some soil yesterday when I noticed the petioles getting slimey.
What causes the crowns to grow stacked on top of each other like that?
John

Post by John »

Some of my hostas here in zone 6/7 are already dormant, with the mushiness to the petioles you describe, which is typical behavior at this time of the year [others, particularly blues, still look pristine.] I'd leave it alone, and it should be fine. I'd have planted it with the topmost crown just below the surface.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

If you can gently brush some of the soil away from the crown so you can see it....it is like others say that it is probably okay...you may try spraying it with 1/3 or 1/2 strength Daconil fungicide. I have used that successfully this year on some that were suffering crown rot from the freeze. I'd spray the pets, too, as it may stop any potential fungus from starting there. It certainly won't hurt it. There may be other things you can use for fungicide, that is just what I had here and it did work. It helped (or seemed to) on one I got that I thought had crown rot. I sprayed it several times and it looks like it is going to be okay...
Charla
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

Butch, I didn't cut the roots, it came that way. I don't cut roots unless they are dead, but then those usually just pull out.
I knew you didn't cut the roots I was just saying I don't think it is good.

I am saying this about planting, crown a bit high with mulch around to protect. Mulch has much more air than nearly all soil which helps with any type of fungus.
Conflict is as addictive as
Cocaine, Alcohol, Cigarettes
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Starting from behind.... Your plant level were perfect, it had made new crowns on top of the old one becaurse it was planted to deep, so the line when it change from white to green have to be at solil level.
You planted it a month ago... I would dig it up, peel of the mushy leaves, look at the crown and let it dry in the shade for a few days, then replant.
That way you will know for sure if it is just going dormant or something is wrong.

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Is it possible that the crown is shaped like that due to the mother plant being more rhizomatous (sp?) than "crown"?

Laura
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

It's was planted to deep to begin with and was pulling/raising it's crown to the proper depth so your seeing stacked crowns. I've accidentally had this happen a few times here. I always break the lowest crown off and plant in a different spot. Then plant the rest with the highest crown 1/8 to 1/4 inch below the soil surface. If you look you can see dormant buds on all 3 of the crowns in the picture. The 2 lower have a nice set of roots already, but the one forming right below the white on the eye doesn't look to have formed any yet, so leave one crown with roots for it. I wouldn't worry about the mush cause it's getting that time of the year. I've got plants that are complete mush, but still solid crowns.
baja220

Post by baja220 »

Charla, I'm gonna check the crown and see how it looks and treat with a fungicide if I need to. I can't stand not looking to see what goin on. :roll: :roll:

Jamie, Seems most agree that the plant has been growing to deep. I didn't notice the roots on the lower crown till you pointed it out. The question is, when can I break off the lower crown and plant separtely? It'll be 2-4 weeks before we get a good freeze here.
John

Post by John »

Debbie, I'd try planting the lower crown seperately, especially if you can see some tiny dormant eyes on it.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Debbie, I had a dormant eye come with my new "Marbled Cream.' It had a short rhizome between it and the leafed out eye. I separated it, planted it in a pot just below the surface about 1/2" and 4 weeks later had 5 new leaves sprouting! It was awesome! And especially so since it was a streaker...I have 2 Marbled Creams, now!
Charla
baja220

Post by baja220 »

Well, I couldn't help it :roll: I dug it up to see what's going on with Angel Eyes and to my surprise, she's grown roots!!

There's a total of 5 crowns stacked on top of each other. When I planted it on Sept. 20, the top 2 crowns didn't have roots, but it does now. So I divided the top 2 crowns off the bottom 3 and ended up with this.

Here's what the top 2 crowns look like separated from the bottom 3. I'm pretty sure she will be fine.

And here's the bottom 3 crowns. The first pic is sort of upsidedown. I think you can see where roots will grow. The second pic shows a couple dormant eyes. Think this one will grow?

I dusted the cuts with rooting hormone and planted the bottom 3 crowns next to Guardian Angel to see if there is a difference between GA and AE. I took Wild Dogs's advice and planted the crown just below soil level and added mulch on top.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

You should have some nice plants and/or trading material next spring if you like to do that. Glad to see it is doing well.

Laura
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I think they look great! Good job! :D
Charla
New Topic Post Reply