Pic of the Day--Crested Surf

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Crested Surf

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Crested Surf is off to good start in our Friendship Garden. It started out in 2006 as a single division and produced three divisions this past summer when it measured 13x6. This cultivar should be interesting to observe as it develops since Lemke's registration information lists a mature plant's size at 32x6. Can anyone confirm the accuracy of the registration size? That width to height ratio of 5.3 is the highest in our modest hosta collection. This is the first time it has occurred to me to evaluate a cultivar on this basis. The tallest plant in our garden this past summer was Blue Angel, at 32 inches. If it had the same 5.3 ratio Blue Angel would be over 14 feet wide.

This raises a question that I don't recall ever having been discussed. Which cultivars have the highest width to height ratio? Hmmm....if my mind is thinking of this kind of stuff this early in the off season, what's it going to be like in the bleak days of February? :o :lol:

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ted%20Surf

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Crested+Surf

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/c/crested.html
crested Surf 6-25-07c 055.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:-? Know I have it.. but havent seen it all summer, may have too look at my garden hosta list.. but think it just passed away somewhere between 2005 and 7 :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I really like this one - especially how the ruffles go all the way down the petioles. Its always fresh and crisp looking. I have two of mine just outside the drip edge of a big Niagara Falls, with Peppermint Ice between them - one of my favorite combos!

I think the widest/shortest hosta I ever saw was a Harvest Dandy at Ken Marek’s. It really stood out in his collection of 1,000+ varieties...it is the only hosta I even remember seeing there.Never have seen another that was so big yet short and flat. Have meant to get it each yr. at the Hallson Event, but the flashier ones keep seducing me away from my goal (hehe). Maekawa and Azure Snow are pretty short here - far wider than tall...and so is Redneck Heaven.

wanda
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Wanda--Maekwa is the only one I have of the cultivars you mentioned. Zilis lists it at 50x17 so the ratio is only about 3 to 1. My plant this year was 34x10.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hank,
I don't know which plant has the highest width to height ratio, but I think Crested Surf would be in the running. I don't have a pic from this year. I moved it in the spring and forgot to water it during our month long drought in May. It wasn't photo worthy, though it did survive.
I haven't measured mine, but would guess that it might be just an inch or two taller than the 6" registration. In this 2006 pic, it was just unfurling. I'm sure that it reached something close to 30" by the time it was fully extended. Thus, the need to move it. There wasn't enough space there for it.
Linda P
Crested Surf May 25 06.JPG
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply