New Hosta Gardens

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Robyn

New Hosta Gardens

Post by Robyn »

We recently moved to Raleigh, NC. I was able to bring some of my hostas but basically I am starting over. What are you favorite hosta combinations? Hoping the voles didn't follow me from PA.
Robyn - Zone 7b
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Hi Robyn
One of my favorite combinations (no Pic, of course) is a trio with Sunpower in the center, and Abba Dabba Do and Zippity Do Dah on either side. Since Sunpower is the parent plant, and the others are sports they compliment eachother very well, having the same form, and about the same size. My trio is a few years old (maybe 5) so the plants are large now. I'm glad I planted them far enough apart! :P
wzbt03

Combo

Post by wzbt03 »

Interesting combo Roxanne. I have nice mature specimens of each in different parts of the gardens, perhaps they will meet this coming spring.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Let me see if I can find a few pics of my faves. The Allegan Fog combo always catches my eye. Behind AF are (from left to right) Opipara Koryama, Hazel, Radio Waves, Little Wonder. Next row, also L-R, are September Sun, Emerald Tiara, Lemonade and Elvis Lives.
The June/Sunpower/Brother Ronald combo is just around the bend from the previous pic. Elvis Lives is on the left edge in this pic. Midwest Magic finishes it off on the right.
Lakeside Shoremaster and Liberty seem to get along quite well, and the hosta behind them is a streaked Lime Piecrust that we have named Lena.
I hope your vole problems are behind you. I was doing some cleanup yesterday, and half of my Osprey came right out of the ground. Yep, voles. I dug down and found a hole where half of the roots should have been. I reset it, put out some 'treats' :evil: for the voles, and am hoping at least some of it will survive.
Linda P
Attachments
Lksd Shoremaster, Liberty, Lena Jun 07.JPG
June, Sunpower, Brother Ronald, etc. May 20 07.JPG
Alleghan Fog and friends May 20 07.jpg
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Beautiful! Thanks for starting this thread, Robyn! It is cold and calling for snow here today, and seeing these pics was really a boost! I hope others contribute pics, also.

Beautiful, Linda!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Good luck with your new gardens!

One of my favorite combinations was Frosted Dimples, Stained Glass, and a group of Chinese Sunrise. The shapes, colors, and textures all seemed to look good together. And then I often add ferns in among the hostas.

Here is a picture of the Frosted Dimples. I wish I had one from the other side showing it with Stained Glass. I really like the frosty blues with the bright yellows or deep shiny greens with bright yellows. A picture of Corkscrew with Whiskey Sour is attached too. I think the combination of something like Devon Green and June Fever would be attractive too.
Attachments
whiskeycork.jpg
whiskeycork.jpg (50.58 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
frosteddimples.jpg
frosteddimples.jpg (51.43 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:D What a great pic of Corkscrew with Whiskey Sour :D :D :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

I started a new bed this year with some hostas that were moved from another bed (I couldn't stand to just throw them in the woods). I put Patriot, Undulata and Gold Standard together and they looked good...
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

P.S. - great pics Linda and Chris. I hope my hosta gardens look that good some day
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Wow! And, Wow again!

Laura
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

Thanks for all the ideas and beautiful pictures. The drought is still a real problem here as well as the deer. Will have to see how well the things I planted last year do before making any more investments.
Robyn - Zone 7b
zil1

Post by zil1 »

WOW- great pictures! 8-)

Im starting from scratch too so I'm watching this thread with interest.......
Liz- Mom to Evan James, b. 12/10/03 and Catherine & David 1/30/06
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Great ideas. I already have Stained Glass and Chinese Sunrise near each other and Frosted Dimples on my wish list. Guess I'll have to get FD this year.

Ann

Edited to say, Oh My! I already HAVE Frosted dimples and forgot I bought it. Actually, it's quite new - purchased only in August.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Hi Robyn,
A favorite in my garden is Halcyon, King Tut, and Paul's Glory.
Attachments
P1000899r.jpg
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Pandora ... it is so beautiful love it :o

And know i would never have done it, reaon I love i´t may be Halcyon is sort of eating the others

Low profile here, know my Scandinavian taste is more simple ... or as Carol called when she was here- passing a mille of the same sort of roses- darn boring :roll: :lol:

Best combo is June to June with Hadspen Blue in the middle :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Correction! I hate when I do this, but the blue hosta is Hadspen Blue (not Halcyon). I knew that. Sometimes my fingers just go without supervision.

Thanks Pia. If I had taken from a different angle, you could see more of Paul's Glory.

Hmmm, looks like I could trade a bit of Hadspen Blue and it would not even be missed from the clump. :P
sugar

Post by sugar »

Well, I guess most Hosta work out well together. I post two pictures I already posted before from the garden of Jeroen Linneman (Hostavalley)

Clickable thumbnails, if you want a bigger version, just clik on the pictures

Robyn

Post by Robyn »

All of my hostas that I planted last fall are up and unfurling. They seem really happy here in NC and so far all the work we did seems to have paid off. My favorite combination for today anyway is June, Touch of Class and nigrescens. Will have to try and get a picture. I gave them plenty of room to grow so they may not fit in one pic.
Robyn - Zone 7b
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

That's good news, Robyn. I always wonder by the end of winter if anything will survive, and having moved them last fall you must have been really anxious to see how they did.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply