Pic of the Day--Kifukurin Ko Mame

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Kifukurin Ko Mame

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Today's plant, Kifukurin Ko Mame was added to our garden this past summer. In reading Schmid's "The Genus Hosta" and the information in the Hosta Library, I learned how to speak Japanese!! (well, OK. I learned that KO means "small" and Mame means "pea" and Kifukurin apparently means "gold-margined") So, the name Kifukurin Ko Mame translates to "gold-margined very small hosta" and by golly, that is exactly what my plant looks like. (:-) The little thing measured 7x3 and might be expected to grow to 10x3.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... 0Ko%20Mame

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Kifukurin+Ko+Mame

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/k/kitukurin.html
kifukurin Ko Mame 6-25-07c 015.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

NIce photo

Mine is about the same size, but I can't find the photo easily right now. I migrated a bunch of ohotos and Windows decided to rename them all so I have some detective work to do after the holidays trying to get them all named again :(
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

That would just about drive me more crazy than I am now. :eek: I have 14,435 photos on my computer, the large majority of them are hostas, and to make matters worse, I am lousy at IDing hostas. :lol:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Have you thought of doing a "Restore Point"? I am not much of a geek but that should be worth a try.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Kifukurin Ko Mame is one of my earlier Hostas - I acquired it about 1999 or 2000. I find it an enthusiastic grower. One which divides easily and grows rapidly enough to fill in as a great edger. Blooms just as enthusiastically.
Blooming well in mid-August
Blooming well in mid-August
Kifukurin Ko Mame - about 10" diameter in mid June
Kifukurin Ko Mame - about 10" diameter in mid June
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
yardmom

Post by yardmom »

Beautiful plant, ViolaAnn! I wish mine was that full and happy!
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Give it time and I bet it will be. :D
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
digs57

Post by digs57 »

I saw this one in the rock garden section of the NY botanical garden, surrounded by gravel, late last August, and all specimens were perfect - not a single bug hole. A perfect little thing, and so easy to find a spot for.

Digs.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Cute and large flowers for such a little hosta.

Laura
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

I have a "thing" about KKM. I had it and about 10 other minis in a triple decker flower pot. Something (precious :???: little neighbor dog) knocked the whole pot over one day & several of the hostas fell out. I wasn't sure if I ID'd them correctly when I repotted.

So for some dumb blonde reason I blamed it all on poor little KKM, probly cause I can't ever remember it's name. (Like that's a reason a dog would try jumping over a pot. Really, I have no idea what I'm talking about! :lol: )

I yell at it like I do at KOMODO DRAGON but since I don't know the name I call if Kifi KO Mommy, pretending that's japanese for "Your Mama!"

It responded to my yelling by refusing to grow. Hopefully this year it will have forgotten, I will hopefully refrain from calling it that silly name & it will start growing again and I will be able to actually tell if it is KKM or one of the other ones that fell out. And if it isn't, well, then, no wonder it refused to grow. :wink:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:roll: :lol: Cola

Freaking out do not help at all

Calm down and look at the hostas... if ýou have the bought list in your hand, they willl wisper their name

And if they refuge...someone here can telll you :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Thy you're going to be proud of me coz I actually drew a map of that pot! There were several that looked alike and a few that died, so that's why I'm confused. It'll work out. I'll buy more! If I happen to buy a duplicate, who cares?

I'm not freaking out, I just love to be silly with my hostas! And with you guys! :wink:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Freaky, don'tcha know that you can yell at the big, tough ones, but you have to talk nice to the little guys. :lol: :roll: :wink:
I had KKM, but lost it a couple years ago. Have to go see if the friend I shared it with still has it, but I have a feeling hers is gone. She planted it under a huge old maple tree that eats everything she puts there.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

No Linda, I did not know I couldn't yell at the little ones, but it makes sense! They have littler feelings! :roll:
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

She planted it under a huge old maple tree that eats everything she puts there.
Linda, has your friend got the message yet........
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply