Okay all you flower naysayers - H. 'Grand Slam'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Okay all you flower naysayers - H. 'Grand Slam'

Post by Chris_W »

Going through all of my pictures while working on the catalog I found this picture of H. 'Grand Slam' in bloom. To me this is such a beautiful display I just can't imagine cutting them off.

It seems that more and more I seek out hostas with nice flowers, and this one has such pretty little inflorescence leaves. I also seem to be more and more attracted to solid colored plants.

So what do you think. Cut them down?

allnitro

Post by allnitro »

Not until spring Chris. :D
JEFF
sugar

Post by sugar »

For hostas, in general the flowers seldom match variegated plants (unless they are pure white), but on solid colored plants they sometimes really work

Best flowers over here are those on Roller Coaster Ride
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

H :evil: no, don't cut down those flowers! :P Those are nice and dark purple.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Keep the flowers, purple is one of my favorite colors for blossums. I have Honeybells that has the most beautiful flowers. I know the hosta isn't that special, but I sure know when it is blooming. I always keep the flowers, you never know what color of baby will come up as a volunteer. I'm not into the growing part.(YET) You never know though, the forum has special powers along that line.
Sue
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

SUEDIA wrote:Keep the flowers, purple is one of my favorite colors for blossums. I have Honeybells that has the most beautiful flowers. I know the hosta isn't that special, but I sure know when it is blooming. I always keep the flowers, you never know what color of baby will come up as a volunteer. I'm not into the growing part.(YET) You never know though, the forum has special powers along that line.
Sue
Well said! I've often wondered if some of those sports aren't from seeds from the plant and grown/growing?

But no I wouldn't cut the flowers on any hosta! I believe the flowers just add to the beauty!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I don't cut the scapes either, because I do love the flowers. (so do the bees and hummers) That pic is absolutely gorgeous, Chris! I'll have to pay attention next year when my 'Grand Slam' blooms. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I'll take flowers like that any day.

Laura
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

The only hosta flower scapes I ever cut are the ones I bring in the house to put in bouquets.
I do cut the scapes on undulata albomarginata when they're done blooming. Everything else stays, even through the winter, when they serve as markers in the snow.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

I'm always curious when a new green hosta is marketed... always want to know what qualities it could have that could make marketers go up against the casual shopper's "green hosta? I've already got the green one" attitude.

Grand Slam has apparently been around, but expensive until recently. It is one of Herb Benedict's, registered as Benedict/Gowen, so it must be one of those Hideko Gowen got as the informally-adopted heir to the Benedict hosta heritage. It's primary appeal seems to be the leathery, heavy substance of the leaves and the nice scalloped edges. Flowers are mentioned in the description, but it takes a photo like Chris' to make them part of the appeal. :D

(BTW - word is, Hideko and Ben are looking to sell their place... too much to keep it all up, even with the help of some hosta lovers who hang out with the Gowens and who have helped clean up the place. Some pretty impressive hostas there...)
zackspapa

Post by zackspapa »

Phantom is the only hosta I never cut because of the color of scapes and flowers together. Beautiful!!! 8-) :D

Larry
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I don't cut either.....too many hummers around......I cut them in the fall, hopefully before the seeds pop. :cool:
kitgary
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by kitgary »

I don't cut flower scapes anymore either. Our hummingbirds love hosta blooms and won't use our hummer feeders. Besides, I need the hosta seed to grow in winter to stave off hosta withdrawal!!!! :D
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Our hummingbirds love hosta blooms
Boy, wish the hummers we get visited our Hosta flowers, must be a species related thing. Up where we are in Richmond, B.C., it seems as if the hummers we get are drawn mostly to florescenses with lots of red in them, so we see them over at our Crocosmias and they love our Honeysuckle, but have yet to see one in our Hostas.....
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

The hummingbirds really dive bomb our hosta flowers too. They seem to be picky about which they go to, though.

I'm glad you liked this picture. This was one of my favorite flower pictures this year :)
Rob
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by Rob »

Thanks, Chris, for a very nice picture. It sure brightens up a gloomy winter day.
This is one of my absolute favorites, no matter how many people tell me that H. 'Marilyn Monroe' is prettier, has more class. Beauty is in the eye ... etc.
Not only does it show a beautiful color display from september until the first frost, but I especially like it as a pod parent in hybridizing, as it has given me some really nice, promising seedlings (red petioles, wavy edges, white backs) and it is extremely fertile.
Furthermore I'm very interested in species, and this appears to be a selected and named H. longipes var. latifolia morph.

Greetings from the Hosta Mill,

Rob
Visit my garden on www.hostamill.be/ENG
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

Beautiful flowers, captured perfectly! :P
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for the information Rob. It bloomed really late here, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to work with but I'll definitely keep that in mind about its fertility.

I did notice that Marilyn Monroe had pretty close to the same flowers, but the flowers I had on MM were shorter, as is the plant overall. I agree they are similar but would want to grow Marilyn Monroe longer before I could compare them more.
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Cut them off...that is crazy talk :lol:

Love the flowers! Thanks for the great picture Chris.

Stephanie
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I really like the purple in those flowers too. The only one I have which is close to that intensity of colour is Clausa and the flowers never actually open on it.

I DO have Marilyn Monroe - will be in its third year in 2008, but it has yet to bloom for me. If it doesn't bloom this year I'll consider relocating it.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply