Pic of the Day--Change of Tradition

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Change of Tradition

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Change of Tradition is a very nice plant but its appeal might be mostly to hostaphiles who already have a good sized collection. I tend to think of it as a dignified lancifolia with a thin, white margin. I got it in 2000 and have it in a spot that gets about 3 hours of direct mid-day sun and high shade the rest of the day. Starting in 2001 it has measured 23x12, 26x14, 30x15, 30x13, 32x15, 26x12 and 25x12. That makes it just a bit smaller than Zilis' 33x18 and Lemke's 44x20. Slugs are not a problem.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... 0Tradition

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Change+of+Tradition

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/c/change.html

The pix are from 2002, 2004, and 2007.
Change of Tradition 6-25-07c 043.jpg
Change of Tradition 7-13-04c.JPG
Change of Tradition 6-24-02c 210.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
sugar

Post by sugar »

I got this plant this year. I like it very much, it's a distinctive plant
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I do like the way it makes a nice little mound. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

It's a very elegant looking plant with a well defined narrow margin. Seems darker than Lancifolia to me. I divided mine into a lot of small pieces a few years ago, but it has not grown fast enough since then to make me happy. Maybe this year it will surprise me.
sugar

Post by sugar »

DBoweMD wrote:It's a very elegant looking plant with a well defined narrow margin. Seems darker than Lancifolia to me. I divided mine into a lot of small pieces a few years ago, but it has not grown fast enough since then to make me happy. Maybe this year it will surprise me.
I agree, it's way darker then lancifolia. And most people agree that it's a slooooow grower
bobinfrance

Post by bobinfrance »

Looks a lot like Silver Shadow (sport of Devon Green) a new one to my collection last year although the leaves may be narrower ?

Bob
Bob
sugar

Post by sugar »

bobinfrance wrote:Looks a lot like Silver Shadow (sport of Devon Green) a new one to my collection last year although the leaves may be narrower ?

Bob
I have both plants. They are quite distinct.
Change of Tradition is more lance shaped (longer and smaller leaves). Sliver shadow has rounded leaves, the margin on Change of Tradition is a bit thinner as well
New Topic Post Reply