Pic of the Day--Sun Power

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Sun Power

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Sun Power is one of the very best gold hosta varieties. Its bright, graceful foliage is a highlight in the garden. I purchased the plant in 1994 and since 2000 it has been growing in a spot that gets about 2-3 hours of mid-day sun. The transplant in 2000 set it back a bit as its size in 2001 was down to 44x22 but then it went 52x27, 52x30, 54x28, and 58x32. Zilis lists it at 70x28. For me, Sun Power has been a very good producer of seeds and seedlings. Other growers have also had good experience with Sun Power seeds. I mention this because Zilis, in his Hosta Handbook, states that Sun Power "forms only an occasional seed pod." Minor slug problems have been easily controlled. I'm showing a pic from 2005.
Attachments
Sun Power 62605c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Beautiful, Hank!

I just got my Sunpower late last summer. I have high hopes...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'Sunpower'

Post by thehostagourmet »

I concur. It's a great variety. Mine, however, sets seed sparsely as Zilis notes. I have used the pollen successfully too.

George
Last edited by thehostagourmet on Jan 24, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I really like Sun Power also...enough to somehow end up with 6 of them!!! Its leaves are a bit thin...but that is good for me, as I use them as a "time to water" indicator. As soon as the leaves are less than perfectly upright, I water everything.

I'm surprised some say its not too fertile...I call mine "Fertile Myrtles"! Especially the big one right next to Filigree, Permanent Wave and Maui Buttercups - there is a solid patch of seedlings under them all. A lot look very similar to SP, but in varying shades of yellow or green. Going to have to move them this spring...they are starting to get big and crowded. I got a nice small version of Sun Power as its first natural seedling - looks just like SP, except its only about 10" tall by 10" wide at 5 yrs. old.

wanda
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

That's cool, Wanda! How 'bout some pics? Are ya holdin' out on us? :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I've had mine a couple of years - was a division from a friend. It's growth rate is good. I've not tried to save seeds because it's so large and I have little space for more large Hostas. The only downside is that the leaves catch all the stuff that falls off the Linden Tree nearby.

Ann
Attachments
Sun_Power-0716sx.jpg
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Sunpower was very large here 3 years ago, then declined. I put a shovel in all around it searching for tree roots 2 years ago, then had Jimmy Mac do the same later that year. (bigger foot, deeper shovel, lol) Neither of us hit nary a root. Finally last year it looked ok early on, but I ended digging it up anyway. The root system wasn't compromised, no signs of crown rot at all. I dug a hole a foot away and moved it.
Anyone else have this happen?? Can this one be a toughie to grow sometimes? Mind you--there's alotta happy hosta nearby, so it's not light, moisture....blah blah causing it. :P
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Could it be that there are 2 Sun Powers out there? The one like Hank's, the other with longer, wavier, brighter leaves?
Attachments
SunPower H1.jpg
SunPower2.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

What a pretty hosta!!! :cool:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Beautiful pics of a lovely hosta! Don't know why I can't find a pic of mine. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Nice pics. And I wonder about what Mary Ann said: I see photos of some with rippled/wavy leaves, and some not.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Lessadragon

Post by Lessadragon »

This is a pic of my Sun Power from last year. It measured 24" x 50", down from 24" x 55" the year before. It's still an impressive hosta! Almost looks as good as yours Hank. (and I can't say that too often)

Lynn
Attachments
Sun Power resized.JPG
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Sun Power

Post by redcrx »

Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
irawon

Re: Pic of the Day--Sun Power

Post by irawon »

One of my very favorite hostas which I planted in 2007 when I caught THE hosta bug. Mine never gets that golden colour as it's planted in shade but it does droop when it needs water as Wanda mentions. I love its shape and upright habit.
Attachments
June 18, 2012
June 18, 2012
New Topic Post Reply