Pic of the Day--Blue Shadows

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Blue Shadows

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Tokudama derivatives are among my favorites varieties. Its just that they take so looong to reach mature size. Blue Shadows is a sport of Tokudama Aureonebulosa that I think is very attractive. Blue Shadows develops a bit more blue coloring than its sport parent but, as can be expected from these plants, it may take several years before the difference becomes apparent. The 2nd photo is of our Blue Shadows, the 1st photo is of our Tokudama Aureonebulosa. Since being added to the garden in 1999 it has been growing in a spot that gets 3-4 hours of mid-day sun. Its measurements for the five years starting in 2001 were 23x11, 29x12, 22x12, 24x12 and 28x16. Lemke's registration information lists the size at 24x14. As with the other Tokudamas in my garden, slugs don't bother this plant.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... %20Shadows
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Blue+Shadows
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/b/blushad.html
Tokudama aureonebulosa 6-25-07c 023.jpg
Tokudama aureonebulosa 6-25-07c 023.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Blue Shadows 62605c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Gotta love those toks! I especially like that first pic. Very pretty! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Beautiful pics, Hank, as usual. I love the ajuga under the hostas. May I ask...what is that hosta peaking in from the right in the first photo?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Charla--That is Mary Marie Ann, a really nice plant. Here is a photo, taken last summer.
Mary Marie Ann 6-25-07c 022.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Oh Hank, you're killing me here! I had the most beautiful Blue Shadows that had gotten pretty big and it just up & died for no apparent reason what so ever. I've never seen one in person for sale since and it's kinda one I'd like to see before I buy so looks like I'll be Blue Shadowless for a while!

I had to laugh when you said that other hosta was Mary Marie Ann, cause now I finally know what it really looks like!

Years ago in one of my first trades I was sent one labeled MMA. I was pretty new to hosta land and throughly convinced the traders all knew what they were doing, but to me, it looked just like all the Undulata Univittatas I had. I politely thanked the person who sent it and thought I just didn't know anything. I even planted it next to an UU so I could see the differences.

Somewhere along the line it came out in the forum that someone had sent someone else an UU labeled MMA, then it was discussed that they looked different & when I chimed in & said I suspected I had UU instead of MMA the sender saw my post & got all embarrassed & apologised like crazy! Someone sent it to her labeled MMA & she didn't know any better.

So I realized then that I might not be getting the named hosta in a trade just cause someone said that's the name. I learned a lesson & your pictures of the day helped me tremendously as I was learning. Thanks Hank!

I like the ajuga too and of course the hostas!
Ellen
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Mary Marie Ann going back on my list! I had it there once, then in seeing some other pics, didn't know why, so took it off.

Going back on the list and moving closer to the top!

Thanks, Hank! Just like Freakycola says, your pics are a great help to us!
Charla
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I love these and have both. At least they were labelled as one of each. Tokudama Aureonebuloso was new in 2003 and Blue Shadows new in 2004. I'm growing them side by side so that I can compare them, but they are so similar that I've wondered whether I got a mislabelled plant.

In my case, neither is a fast grower, but they bloom and are fertile. I've had several small Hostas grow up under them, but I'm not really sure which is the pod parent.
And this is the seedling, also mid July. It keeps a bluish cast all summer and this was the second year after I dug it out of the garden.
And this is the seedling, also mid July. It keeps a bluish cast all summer and this was the second year after I dug it out of the garden.
Tokudama Aureonebulosa in mid July.
Tokudama Aureonebulosa in mid July.
Blue Shadows, mid July 2007<br />BTW, the leaves at the top of the picture are Tok A.
Blue Shadows, mid July 2007
BTW, the leaves at the top of the picture are Tok A.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Glad it is so slow... I want it
No space for no more hostas
But I still just can't stop bying them :lol:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

ViolaAnn, Blue Shadows seems to have wider blue margins, but mine are about 5 years old.
AureoNebulosa.JPG
AureoNebulosa.JPG (42.76 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
BlueShadows 2.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Those are absolutely stunning, Mary Ann!
Charla
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Mary Ann - I did a double take looking at the lily overlapping the TokA. Thought it was the most unusual Hosta flower I'd ever seen at first. LOL

Nice plants. I guess I just wait. Mine will be 4 and 5 years old this season.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Blue Shadows is listed as an improved form of Tokudama Aureonebulosa, and it takes a mature plant to be able to see the differences, IMHO. I can't seem to grow either of them, or Bright Lights, which is a more yellow version.
:cry:
Beautiful plants, everyone!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

HI--Linda mentioned Bright Lights. Here is a photo of it.
Bright Lights 6-24-02c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

What is the deal with Bright Lights? I've had about 4 & they all died. I have one left & if it doesn't make it, then forget it!
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--My Bright Lights managed to survive an attack from some sort of rot and then got sprayed with a herbicide. I'm hoping that it will be looking normal by this summer.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I've had good luck with Bright Lights. Very sturdy leaves, and not a look alike with Tok Aureo/Bl.Shadows.
Good for hybridizing too.
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Oh, so you have to spray Bright Lights with herbicide to make it grow! Well, DUH! Actually, I think this was about the first to die in my bed that had southern stem blight. Wow, I bet it had it to begin with & infected the whole bed. That would explain all of them dying since I got them all at the same place.
Don Rawson

Post by Don Rawson »

Now, does anyone have photos of Heat Wave so that we can compare them all? By the way, there are several others that look similar to these (e.g., Boots and Saddles, Abiqua Hallucination, Serene, etc.). Don
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: Pic of the Day--Blue Shadows

Post by irawon »

'Heatwave' planted summer of 2011. Front leaf got in the way of a ladder. I think I will like this one.
Sept. 3, 2011
Sept. 3, 2011
New Topic Post Reply