Let's take a virtual tour of our gardens

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Let's take a virtual tour of our gardens

Post by ViolaAnn »

Ellen - I don't remember the vole suits. Lessadragon is not a guy, but a gal who owns "Shades of Green" hosta nursery here in Ontario but I don't remember the dog. Might have been before my time or before I retired.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

That sounds like the name but I thought I remember him talking about his wife & he never mentioned owning a nursery. Chris are you out there? Do you remember any of this?
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

LOL :D You are talking about Helen/ hangarar's ( sp) black suit and leafmould :wink:
Bonemeal or something like that for the dog name :D

It was fun, so much fun... I do not think I have ever laught as much as a night / for me Very early morning when Brenda/ GreenNatureWoman, Victoria and Tina tried to tell me the diffence between a redneck and a hillbilly,.... do not think I have ever laught that much
Hugs
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Yes Bonemeal sounds like the dog's name, but it wasn't Helen. She was in on it always talking about Grasshopper like from Kung Fu & the meaning of hosta afterlife or something like that. I kno this was a man who took excellent photographs & hybridized hostas & got amazing results.
thy

Post by thy »

It was leafmould aka Jim something.. last seen by me on hostapix years ago. He did do some very lovely hostas and was the first to look at the flowers... and he is a great photographer :D
The dress was hangarars/ Helen... she taked "a lot" about raiding leafmoulds and others garden late night :wink:
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Pia you are right it was Leafmold. But it was me and I think Kent Terpinger (the one who made Clovely (which I'm still searching for!) Who were dressing in vole suits to raid others gardens. No, maybe it was me & Renaldo who were raiding Kent's garden coz he had just shown us Clovelly. Yeah I think that was it. Oh & I just remembered the hosta we laughed about was Shadeseeker.
thy

Post by thy »

Ohhh, I have forgotten Shadeseeker :D
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Freaky Cola, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost Lew, my Darlin' Man after 62 years in '08 and it is still hard. Then my oldest daughter came up, but she couldn't take the weather so in '12 she moved back to San Diego. So... this spring I am going to try to get out in my yard, but now I have Arthritis and that makes it hard. (It is always something!) But it could be worse!! So what I discovered is that things are beginning to come up, but something is dining on the early risers. And all the tags I had are gone :eek: But I am a "belt and suspenders" character, and I made what Lew called 'maps'! And the maps are out-dated.So the bad news is that I have to start all over again, but the good news is that I GET to start again, sort of!! There is alot of gorgeous new stuff out there. And I was out in the trees for about 2 hrs.and I think I am tired, I keep hitting the wrong keys. So I think I will take a hot bath and go to bed!
Lovin' the great northwest!
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Thanks Rosemarie for your kind words and sorry for your loss. I'm hoping I'll want to go out in the garden this spring but I didn't last summer so who knows? I have trouble sleeping so I'm up until about 8am most nights.

I just can't stop thinking about you saying you've been out in the trees. All I can picture is you hanging around in the trees like a monkey! No wonder you're so tired! Lol

Ellen
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. I do hope that you will feel like spending some time in your garden this year. I have a wonderful Summer Fragrance hosta in my garden that I am pretty sure came from you in a secret trade. If it didn't, that's too bad, because I always think of you when I look at it.
There were so many conversations over the years (going all the way back to the hosta forum on Garden Web, before Chris set up the forum and we all moved over here) about various styles of night-time garden raids. Kent Terpening is not doing anything with hostas these days, but he sure put out some good ones. I think Helen might have been one of the first to talk about donning a vole suit for those garden raids. Reldon was certainly in on it!
Yes, it was Leafmould (Jim Spence) and his wonderdog Bonemeal who entertained us with those stories and beautiful pictures of the hosta seedlings from his dungeon. I, too, remember sitting there at my desktop computer late into the evening and being entertained by the conversations with Brenda (Green Nature Lady) and so many others. I would start laughing and not be able to stop, and my husband could not understand what was so funny. I loved the stories that Leafmould would make up about his hosta heroine (I can't remember her name!) and all the pics he would show to illustrate them.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Hi Linda.
I probably did send you the Summer Fragrance. Recently I found my trade notebook and was going to sit down and look at it for the memories, got busy and now I can't find it. Ah, the story of my life. :blush:
Why did Kent stop doing hostas? When I quit following the forum I knew he had Clovelly then over the years I've found 1 or 2 others that had his name on them & they were beautiful too so I can't imagine why he would stop.
I know Brenda died. Does anyone know what happened to Leafmold?
I've talked to Helen a couple times on Facebook.
Lol-I get a kick out of this voice recognition software on my phone. When I said the last sentence it wrote- I've talked to "Brent or someone" a couple times. How does it get that out of Helen?
I remember staying up till real late at night on the computer laughing until I was silly & my husband would come out and yell at me to go to bed because I had to get up at 6am! He couldn't understand what was so funny either. Gosh we had so much fun!
So is there anothr hosta we can make fun of for a while till spring? How about this White Feather-the 1 that comes up all white
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ellen, I think Kent just move on to other things. He's been scuba diving for some time, and has been doing quite a bit with underwater photography. His Dancing Queen is one of the favorites in my garden. Leafmould just stepped away and the last I heard he's still growing hostas, but doesn't show up on any of the forums.

I got a White Feather from a friend who thought that she had to have it. I've shared a lot of hostas with her over the years, and this was one I didn't have so she gave me a piece. It came up last year (the second year in the garden) but went into a summer dormancy (Or died?) with all the heat and drought. I don't know if it will come back this year or not. I did like White Wall Tire, but lost mine. Reldon shared it with me years ago, and then somehow or other I lost it.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply