Let's take a virtual tour of our gardens

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Let's take a virtual tour of our gardens

Post by FreakyCola »

In one of Hank's posts of the day someone said if they ever got to tour his garden they'd have a serious case of dropjaw. So I thought, wow, I'd love to tour his garden too & I never even thought of it before, how strange!

Just off the top of my head here's the other places I'd love to see. JGH, Renaldo, Chris's nursery, Thy's & Ken. There's a bunch more but I have brain freeze at the moment.

So I'll start the tour & "show" you my garden.

My whole property is kinda small, maybe 50' wide x 100' long.

First we'll start in the front yard. Here's about the only grass you'll see, the small strip between the city sidewalk & the street. Who needs grass?

Oh by the way, I live on the prettiest street in town.

There's a grass meridian with crab apple & other trees in the middle of our street. The meridian goes for about 5 blocks & it is so pretty in spring when the crabtrees are in bloom. Lots of people have pretty flowering trees & lots of flowers in the front yards so it's really nice. Most of the houses are huge, gorgeous ones with cool architecture.

At Christmas almost everyone puts out luminaries on the Sunday before Christmas and my neighbor down the street dresses up as Santa & passes out candy to cars that line up to see Santa. Sometimes people dress up as victorian age carrolers or snowmen & walk up & down the street singing & visiting. It's a really nice neighborhood. (And I'm known as the crazy plant lady!)

My front yard is filled with 11 beds of mostly hostas. One bed is just coral bells. One bed is over run by gooseneck loosestrife & lily of the valley which I have to clean out this year! The loosestrife is starting to spread past that bed! Yikes! But it sure looks cool when it's blooming.

I have these huge hostas in front: Rascal, Sum & Substance, Plantaginea, Sagae, Elegans, Squash Casserole, Lady Isobell Barnett, Silver Crown, Frances Williams, Vim & Vigor, Blue Blazes, Montana Aureomarginata, Abiqua Drinking Gourd & KOMODO Dragon to name a few of the biggest.

Some smaller ones I really enjoy: June, Geisha, Spritzer, Winfield Blues,Permanent Wave, Elvis Lives, Remember Me, Marachino Cherries, Paul's Glory, Metallica, Reptillian, Blue Dimples, Vanilla Cream, Wolverine, Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Mistress Mabel, Winter Lightning, Neat Splash, Spilt Milk, Strip Tease, Inniswood and a baby I grew that I thought was a baby coneflower.

I have a flagstone curving sidewalk I built all by myself in front where I set my pots of miniature hostas. Some of my fave minis are Pandoras Box, Quill, Blue Mouse Ears & Kabitan. Gosh, I have probably 20 but can't think of one more name. :oops:

The 100' tulip tree has a raised bed around it and one of the hosta beds is raised and surrounded by big rocks.

I have pots & pots, probably 40 or more of annuals on the front steps and curving around in front of the bed off to the right of the steps. To the left is going to be another flagstone sidewalk going to the neighbor's yard. It's been in construction for 3 years now, think I'll ever get it done???? :-? On the porch we have a swing & a bunch of hanging baskets.

Along the east side of the house is a raised bed that has only red & yellow flowers and :eek: :eek: :eek: not one hosta! How can that be??? The driveway takes up the rest of the side yard and is usually filled with pots for my plant sales.

The other side yard is my black & white garden. About a third of that side is filled with only black & white flowers. There's a white butterfly bush, b&w iris & hollyhocks, white lilies, shasta daisy, black mondo grass, Chocolate Joe Pye Weed, dark leaved coral bells, pulmonaria with whitish spots, Emily Dickinson & other white edged hostas, a streaked Francee & lots more. There's a White Christmas there that has a wild red japanese maple growing beside it that looks so cool together.

The middle part of that side has a white dogwood tree that branches out by the dining room window & was so pretty till the neighbor cut that limb down. :cry: There are 2 beds there filled with mostly hostas & some pulmonarias. There's a huge hosta I think is Blue Angel. It wasn't tagged when I got it, so I'm not 100% sure.

The south end of that side has 2 hostas beds. One has all blue hostas and the other has just a bunch of different ones. Some favorites from there are Paradise Power, Paradise Joyce, Sea Octopus, Sugar & Spice, Brave Amhurst, Janet, & Gertie.

Think I'll save the back yard for another post, since this is pretty long!
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Virtual Garden Tours

Post by Marlys »

Ellen,

So good to have you back on forum. I had wondered what had happened to you. Welcome Back!

Your neighborhood sounds wonderful! & your yard too! - Thanx! for sharing!

In our neighborhood we are so lucky to have several carzy plant people.

Trudy & I live just across the street from each other. Her 'Holland Drive Gardens' is just a block down the side street from our culde' sac adjoining her beautiful back yard which is full of hostas & roses & day lillies & many other perfect plant specimens.

David & Betsy live at the end of our street. David has created a hosta paradise on their property. Betsy grows beautiful sun perennials and a rather unique vegetable garden. She shares her produce with me.

My daughter, Robin has a perfect shade garden under huge old oak trees just about 1/2 block from Trudy's Holland Drive Gardens.

And just another 1/2 block down on Holland Drive our friend Eve has created a beautiful hillside hosta glade.

And just about a block from her, another newer neighbor, Jan grows a really creative - fun sun garden.

There's also a young mother of 5 that grows lots of pretty flowers in her front yard.

Strewn here & there throughout the neighborhood are several other delightful, smaller flower gardens and fun plant specimens. One yard has one of those 'Rose of Sharon' that really does bloom 3 different colors all at the same time. Another gal grows a couple of those little multi-variety apple trees. There are lots of old trees and lots of green grass. It's a good thing!

To tour my gardens checkout my website - Marlys' Garden
http://www.marlysgardens.com

Enjoy!

MM
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

What an awesome "Tour" of your gardens!
I can't wait to post mine this year. I'll be showing pictures of the before, during and After. I should have done this last year wth the front yard.

And you're totally right! .... Who needs grass? :lol:
Izzy
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ellen, it sounds to me like you're living in the middle of a movie set depicting the ideal midwest town. Get a camera, girl, and share some pictures with us! It sounds wonderful.
Marlys, I can't wait to see your neighborhood this summer!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Ellen, sounds like a wonderful, magical place!

Marlys, how nice to be surrounded by so many talented gardeners!

I agree with Linda....pictures, pictures, pictures! :D

I didn't take any pics of my gardens last year as they were hit so very hard by that late freeze. I'm hoping for better this year as many of my hostas will now be 4-5 years old. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Please keep sharing everyone! Maybe we could talk Hank into doing his tour again....it was wonderful...could help chase away the spring fever/cabin fever....Hank?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Someone need to add a slide presentation here!! I believe one can do so by adding photos at Photobucket and I think they do this in a slide form, also webshot is another place that one can do so. Or there are some of us with those little houses (www) where you can tour the yards. This is a great idea but photos and words aren't the real thing as walking and having the owner answer questions as one goes on the tour. :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--I have about 6 weeks worth of individual varieties before I get to the end of my list. I had planned to then do another POTD set of photos of our beds but, this seems like a good time of the year to show how things look from a wide angle. So, I'll start that up in tomorrow's POTD.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hank Zumach wrote:Hi--I have about 6 weeks worth of individual varieties before I get to the end of my list. I had planned to then do another POTD set of photos of our beds but, this seems like a good time of the year to show how things look from a wide angle. So, I'll start that up in tomorrow's POTD.
Yippppeee! Are you still going to keep doing the POTD, too?
Charla
Canadian-hosta-girl

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

FreakyCola , it sounds beautiful but for visual people like me we need pictures :lol:

i visited 2 private gardens last year one is a forum member here Barbara , and when i got there my jaw dropped :eek: , wow , her place is magical , i have never seen so many beautiful hostas and the size some wore was simply amazing to me , so far she as one of the nicest and biggest hostas iVe seen.

also visited another garden of someone i have known for a i would say 5 years now that i met at the place he works , a garden place and nurserie i love to shop ;) and wow i never expected to see a garden like that , beautifully organized with very interesting compagnion plants... and a beautiful collection of daylillies as well...oh and beautiful hosta collection :)

my gardens are put to shame compare to those and i just can aspire to one day grow some beautiful gardens and plants like both these gardens....

their are many i would love to visit this year ....and i am NOT forgetting my camera this time :roll:

last year i didnt purchase many plants i started reorganising what i have , i am a desorganised gardener , i let my heart decide and shop over my good common sense and wallet :lol: so i end up with plants that i have no clue where to put when i get here.....if you want to see a bit of our place just click the link in my signature , have pictures of what i am working on doing and reorganising...and i am planning new hosta beds too this year hopefully good health will stay with me and i will be able to get alot done :D
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Charla--I'll just call it a continuation of the POTD.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

What a great tour... LOVE it and can "see" it, Want to see your steet, specially at Christmas time..someone giving candies to people passing by :o :D

Do not have a front area at all, somehow sad, my house is so ugly from the streeet... tell people it is the ugly house just before the grosery shop...and the have no problems finding it :cry:
:lol:

Want to sipp JGH's coffee with me at the bench in Hanks garden ?
Would be great :D

My garden is around 2/3 of yours and really nothing... but would love to have you here... please start your planner :wink: :wink: :D :D :D

Too late now to think and type, but will think about touring you around my garden the same way

Never had a black and white garden... must be beautiful.

My Winther Lightning was beautiful... the first year :cry:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hank Zumach wrote:Charla--I'll just call it a continuation of the POTD.
Oh, good! I didn't want to interrupt the regular POTD, I was really enjoying that, too. I'm making my lists....'Buy' and 'Don't Buy' from your POTD. I just loved the ones of your gardens, too. Thanks for all your efforts with the POTD. I think it is really awesome how you, as an experienced gardener take the time to share, and I think I can probably speak for everyone about how much we all enjoy it. I haven't missed a one! I don't always reply, but I haven't missed one of them! Thank you!
Charla
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Charla--Thanks for your kind words of support. :D
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
FreakyCola

Re: Let's take a virtual tour of our gardens

Post by FreakyCola »

Hi everybody!
I was searching for pineapple upside down cake and came across this real old post. I can't believe I never answered. We had a lot of computer issues over the past few years so I just wasn't able to get on the forum again. Sure missed everybody though. Now I have a smartphone I can access the Internet so I will be on here more often.
My husband died unexpectedly last August. I didn't do any gardening after that so I have a lot of cleaning up to do this spring.
How things change though. No one puts out luminaries in my neighborhood anymore. The Santa and the carolers all moved away. Lightning struck some of the crab apple trees and they were taken down.
And then some things never change. The gooseneck loosestrife & lily of the valley are still running all over my garden, the sidewalk has never been built and oh my god there are still no hostas in the east garden. What is the matter with me? However I have about 10 yellow hostas ready to be planted there. More To say but ran out of time bye for now.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

FreakyCola - so glad you updated your post. I hadn't looked at the date and was going to ask you to post pics to supplement the pictures you painted with words. I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your husband and the change in your neighbourhood, but hope that you are ready to start gardening again this spring. Also hoping that you have spring. We still have a couple of feet of snow on the gardens and more came down today.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Hi Ann
I hope I'll feel like gardening this spring but so far I don't feel like doing much.
I'm hoping to get to come to the Hallsons gathering this year though.
Sorry about your snow. We've only had 1 maybe 6 inch snow storm & nothing else so far. Last year we had snow coverage almost all winter long and my garden really did well because of the insulation I guess. Didn't have many things die & I had a lot left in pots I didn't get planted.
Ellen
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Sorry for your loss.
Gardening may be a good thing to give a bit of joy. At least you need to have one pot of nasturium.
Do you remember who wrote this and showed a lovely pot full of them :wink:
>
>
Been thinking of you every year when my nasturium flowered :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Hi Pia,
I don't know about the nasteurtum quote, but I think of you and the rest of the forum regulars all the time.
Does anybody talk about anything else on the forum now? Everytime I peek in all I see are pictures of the day kind of thing.
Ellen
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'm hoping that once we have something to talk about in our gardens besides snow, we'll have a lot of new threads. Meanwhile, I started the Index and Ed has spent the winter searching the archives for older threads that should be added to it. Hosta of the day or Pic of the day threads will still be there, of course, and people will be able to access them more readily with the index, but it certainly shouldn't be the only focus of this forum.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Ann ,
Were you on the forum when we had the threads about dressing in vole suits to rob Hank & Jim's garden & the other one about the albomarginata lookalike. I can't believe it I can't remember its name! I keep wanting to say shade fanfare but that's not right . Somebody save me! What was that name???? Anyway we went all winter talking about those things & it was hilarious! Also what happened to the Canadian guy with the little dog. I can't remember his name either and it was a great name his & the dog. Was it Porkchop? Was his name something dragon?
Ellen
New Topic Post Reply