Waiting on the new Zillis book

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

largosmom

Waiting on the new Zillis book

Post by largosmom »

Anyone else anxiously awaiting Mark Zillis' new book?

Laura
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

No, I think I gave up being anxious over a year ago :lol:

Looking forward to it, but not anxiously :D
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Well, I think I've only known about it for a few months, so I haven't reached your stage yet. :bd:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there any news at all :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

In January at Winter Scientific, Mark said that it was nearly ready to print, and should be out this spring or summer..can't remember which. It will be in a coffee table format, not the ring-bound style of the first one.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Papou

What Zilis book?

Post by Papou »

After being lied to for more than 3 years....I'm slowly loosing faith in the man...Perhaps he does not give a darn about any of us....
I'm getting a a stage...not anxious...not waiting...a stage which is very much 'neutral'. In fact I dont give a darn if Mark does not ever come out with any book. There are more knowledgeable people out there now....
I'm very, very disappointed....I figure that Mr. Zilis should come out somewhere with a statement of his own.
sugar

Re: What Zilis book?

Post by sugar »

Papou wrote:After being lied to for more than 3 years....I'm slowly loosing faith in the man...Perhaps he does not give a darn about any of us....
I'm getting a a stage...not anxious...not waiting...a stage which is very much 'neutral'. In fact I dont give a darn if Mark does not ever come out with any book. There are more knowledgeable people out there now....
I'm very, very disappointed....I figure that Mr. Zilis should come out somewhere with a statement of his own.
Do you know how much time publishing a book takes? I can assure you it takes a lot of time...
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I am sure it takes a lot of time, it does for a silly magazine, so...
for me the inmportant was
....nearly ready to print
I will love to have a new hostabook and am not pleased with the Grenfield one... blue and blue/green and special ones... have to use the register most times..give me an A to Z one, (no vein pairs .. I really miss that info), so to slow and difficult to use and to heavy to bring into the garden

Think Mark can allways find a few more he need to include :wink:
why not just do one more... I'll bye it anyway :wink:
Last edited by thy on Mar 17, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

New Book

Post by Marlys »

2 years ago - Mark said it would be out in the spring/summer. And he made comments that even his chidren were saying, "Dad aren't you suppose to be writing a book". I think it has been a long time coming but hopefully will be worth the wait!

I all ready have "The Hosta Encyclopedia" coffee-table book but I bet I'll buy the new Zilis book too! I am addicted and I can't be left out of the loop. :lol:

I can't imagine how much time, energy, effort goes into such an undertaking as a new hosta book - especially with tons of new, bigger, better, etc. etc. hostas coming out every year.

I had just about given up on the new book ever materializing but now have hope again.

MM
allnitro

Post by allnitro »

I know Mark was still collecting data and pics last summer. It will be worth the wait.
JEFF
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Mark's books are self-published. That means there's no 'staff' to compile, edit, and all the other things that publishers do. I also know that he is trying to get the very latest data in the new book. I believe that the trip to Japan maybe 2 years ago added some new info that had to go in the book? Anyway, I don't believe it's so much a matter of 'lying'; personally, I never heard him give a definite time. Just..."sometime next year, hopefully", or some such thing. Mark is a high energy, enthsiastic guy, and I'm guessing that he tends to overcommit??? Another factor is this: most of the time you hear about a new book in the immediate months preceding publication, when the publishing company starts putting out the press releases. The hosta community is so closely innerconnected at all levels, so we tend to hear about anything new as soon as it leaves the mind of the 'originator'. Then we can't wait to get our hands on it.
I'm with you, Marlys. I'll end up getting it no matter how long the wait.
Linda p
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Think I've lost interest. If I see it, sure, I will look to see if it was worth the wait. At this point, I doubt it.
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Zilis vs. Microsoft

Post by thehostagourmet »

Folks, Denise in particular, lighten up. Microsoft is always 1-2 years late with every new operating system, which is still not ready for prime time. Mark is doing this part-time. He'll be a few months later than anticipated, because he's added new material, I hear. If it's ready for St. Louis, I'll be there asking him to autograph this one too.

George
George
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I'm with Denise. I've been hearing it'll be this year since 2003 so I've lost complete interest in adding this book to the collection here. At the rate we learn about hostas and discover new hostas he could write forever. There's a time to say enough is enough for 1 book and publish it.
thehostagourmet

Hosta Handbook

Jamie, since the last printing of Zilis' Hosta Handbook was in 2003 or 2004, you were NOT hearing about a new book in 2003.

Mark is, for better or worse, trying to be all-inclusive. The book is still scheduled for late spring, hopefully by the AHS Convention.

George
George
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Let's all just relax a little. I think winter has finally taken its toll on us ;) I'm sure we are all looking forward to finally seeing this book become a reality, but after feeling like we were being strung along so much with so many projected release dates/times that it finally got a bit discouraging.

The hosta handbook sold out out in August 2005. The new book had been talked about for at least a year by that point and I was told that the handbook was not being printed any longer so that it wouldn't conflict with the new book that was hoped to be coming out soon, maybe even that winter.

I say we should all stop registering and introducing new plants for at least a year so Mark gets a chance to finally "finish" this huge project of his :P
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi George,
It was 2003 possibly 2004 at The Hosta Festival is Dubuque Iowa when he said this :wink:.. I wasn't the only person that heard the words direct from Zilis :wink:.. Regardless it doesn't matter cause we all collect what we want :wink: :D ... I'm sure it'll have some great info but I'm not that fond of coffee table books to begin with :wink: :P
AlwaysWeeding

Post by AlwaysWeeding »

I went to his website (I think that's where I got the address) in June and sent an email requesting that I get an email notification when the book is published. I got a reply that I will be notified.
AlwaysWeeding
My Hallsons Page -- viewtopic.php?t=44071&highlight=alwaysweeding
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

I am with chris

i gave up wondering when i can get my hands on it and don't care when it comes out anymore but when it comes out i will get one... when i get around to it, no rush.

I put it in the back of my mind, way back and to the left

maybe i said this wrong and i don't want anyone to get mad at me - I don't care when it comes out but it is sure to be the best book available and i will want one

maybe he can have a special deal and anyone who gets one can get one t.c. from his place for free - like a limited addition hosta not available anywhere else - that would be very cool even if it is just a dream. (hosta finally here or longest wait?)
thehostagourmet

t.c. plant with book

Yes, that's an idea. He can name this exclusive variety 'Better Late Than Never'.
George
New Topic Post Reply