What is the earliest hosta for you

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

What is the earliest hosta for you

Post by jobranch »

My first hosta to come up last year was Golden Scepter. This year it is Invincible with my Undulatas second.

Jeff
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

For me, Spartan Arrow, Invincible, Hadspen Samphire have been first up for years. They show their little noses mid to late February here. Pathfinder is always last.

-Diana
vawildflower

Post by vawildflower »

For me it has to be swirls and geisha. They are up and unfurling as we speak. Oh, for sure Savannah supreme is the first for me...she is in a pot and close to the house but man she just wont sleep late!!

wild
jody

Post by jody »

Almost always montana Aureomarginata... but this year wolverine is up with it.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I took a quick look around just now and don't see any eyes yet, but it still might be a bit early for us. Sometimes I don't see any until that first or second week of April. Plus we had more snow yesterday. Usually, though, my Raspberry Sorbet is one of the first to poke it's eyes out of the soil. I did see that the crocuses I planted last year are just now coming up, but no blooms yet. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
barbara

Post by barbara »

Still way too early up here to see hostas, but each and every year Chinese Sunrise has been the early riser :) I'm hoping I don't see any hostas for at least another 4-5 weeks.
Hostahaveum

Post by Hostahaveum »

I have a row of undulutas on the south side of my house , always the first to come up. Eyes about 2-3 inches this morn, I keep covering them for fear of frost , they keep growing ! Crocus are blooming & lilies are a few inches up as well.
Hostahaveum
mum2knm

Post by mum2knm »

No hostas yet but the past few years lancifolia has been the earliest.
Sabrina
New hosta addict
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I have quite a few up, some as early as two weeks ago. I have probably 20 showing at least eyes and about 10 with leaves beginning to unfurl.

Laura
digs57

Post by digs57 »

My earliest hosta this year is... hmmmm.... I'll have to say the collection of 400 or so Apr. 07 seedlings happily growing indoors since last fall.... Oh, you mean outdoors! :lol: Nope, we haven't even got ground yet. Not a smidgeon. Nearly a meter of the white stuff :snow: :snow: :snow: as far as the eye can see.

Digs.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
sugar

Post by sugar »

This year the complete Baby Bunting family (Baby Bunting, Cameo, Hope, Pandora's Box, Cherish) together with longipes f. sparsa.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I have Diana Remembered and both of my Whirlwinds showing eyes. Trying to keep them covered, but they are on the top of the hill and they won't stay under. Nice to see them, though!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Hostahaveum

Post by Hostahaveum »

Update: I have undulutas unfurling today :eek: way too early for NJ!
Hostahaveum
whip1

Post by whip1 »

Patriot and So sweet on the south side of the house are always up way to early. The frost always gets them.
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

early riser

Post by Marlys »

It's 32 degrees with frost here this morning and was 22 just 3 days ago. It would be good if no hosta eyes were poking up for atleast another month. Forecast still threatening :frosty:

But I spied :o Lancifolia eyes protruding after Ron :evil: raked away leaves that were keeping them warm and safe from deer. I dumped a wheel barrow full of woodchips over them & stuck garlic spikes into the area to protect them from frost and deer. :roll:

Lancifolia is always first. I love that plant! :D It has everything good, grows quickly, lance shaped leaves with purple-red petioles extending their color onto the leaf base, blooms profusely, wonderful mounding shape. It grows anywhere and is lovely in a container; withstands heat, drought.:cool: It's an oldie but goodie :!:

MM :wink:
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Nearly a meter of the white stuff as far as the eye can see.

Digs.
Digs, you'll be happy to see these are coming up for me out on the Left Coast. You might recognize one of the labels :). These both came up from single divisions.... Hope your snow melts soon and you'll start seeing what I'm seeing here.

The last one is a Lemon Delight division I put in a little collapsible greenhouse for 4 weeks, it's really coming along...
Attachments
Lemon Delight
Lemon Delight
P3221293.jpg (47.11 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
Blond Elf
Blond Elf
P3241296.jpg (51.01 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
Grand Tiara
Grand Tiara
P3241295.jpg (47.15 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I'm with Whip1, Patriot that sits in a protective area at the front door is the first. It all has to do with location, right?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Like Digs, I also have close to a metre of snow covering everything. More like 2 metres in the snowbanks along the driveway. It will be about 6 weeks before I would expect to see anything poking up.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

While it's easy to gloat, I do feel for you folks out East. But you know, the weather has a funny way of catching up to the calendar, the one that says spring has sprung. It'll all be gone soon and you'll be back morning and night looking to see how much further the noses have poked up.....
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I was out doing a garden walk yesterday and didn't see any eyes poking up... until I wandered by Otome No Ka. It is up about 3 inches! Whats with that? It is not near the house, though it is on the south side of the yard.

Talk about an eager beaver!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply