ROHS Spring Meeting

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

ROHS Spring Meeting

Post by renaldo75 »

The spring meeting of the ROHS [Russ O'Harra Hosta Society] will be held on Sunday, April 13th at the Iowa Arboretum.

The get-together starts at Noon with a pot luck lunch at 1pm. The business meeting follows lunch.

The afternoon program will feature 3 ROHS club members discussing their addictive hosta hobby: breeding & raising hostas.

Greg Johnson is a well-known hosta hybridizer with 40 registered hostas of which 1/2 are available in the market. Moonlight Sonata, Tequila Sunrise, & Everlasting Love are a few of his introductions. The 2 other presenters are also Hallson Forum members: Trudy [Trudy Van Wyk] and Pepper1 [Gary Hoard]. All 3 will share experiences they've had with their breeding programs, and answer questions from the group.

If you're able to come to the meeting, please do. I can't wait!! :D It will be so much fun to hear what they have to say and spend time with all of my hosta friends again!! :P :cool: :P And the food is always wonderful too!! :D

Iowa Arboretum
1875 Peach Avenue
Madrid, IA 50156

The address of the arboretum is a bit misleading since it is a former farm. The Iowa Arboretum is SW of Ames and NW of Des Moines and is actually north and west of Madrid. From the north or the south go to Luther, IA which is 6 miles north of Madrid, then follow the signs. I believe it's about 4 miles west of Luther and then south about 1.5-2 miles on the west side of the road. All roads are paved now. If you're on gravel, then you're in the wrong place. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

That would be a fun program to hear!!
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Reldon is Back!

Post by Marlys »

Reldon,

You're back! 8-) I've been missing you!

This is too weird; Pepper 1 and I just had a conversation this afternoon about posting the ROHS mtg info here on Hallson forum. And now you've all ready done it! :P Thanx!

I was wondering if you were planning on making the mtg. It is my weekend to work so I may not be able to make it. :(

There was a pre-lim mtg this afternoon for the 2010 Regional Hosta Convention in Des Moines, IA.
I understand the 2010 National Convention is planned to be in Minneapolis, MN.
So let me ask, with the two so close in distance which one will people choose to attend or will we all go to both conventions?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Hey, Iowa hosta friends you all are invited to join the ROHS (Russ O'Hara Hosta Society).
Reldon, Gary (Pepper 1) & myself are all on the membership committee.
Contact one of us for details.
Also see the ROHS website: http://rohs.org/
Yes, Lisa, you & Kim are eligible to be associate members!

Welcome Back - Renaldo! :wink:

MM
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'm on the membership committee?? :o :hmm: Is that what they're calling that discussion we had after a meeting once last year or the year before?? :???:

You learn something new almost every day...

Glad I could save you some typing. :wink: :P I was wondering why you hadn't posted it already, Marlys. :) I thought somebody should since it was just a week away now. Well if you're not there, then I guess I'll have to go outside of my comfort zone and find another table to sit at. :eek:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Looking forward to the meeting.....just wish I was a speaker instead of a hosta seedling grower!

Greg Johnson has some nice hosta seedlings out in the trade, and I have a few of Gary's seedlings, they are winners!

It will be a fun time. You get to ask questions also. Will enjoy seeing hosta freinds at the meeting. Sorry you have to work Marlys.
There was a pre-lim mtg this afternoon for the 2010 Regional Hosta Convention in Des Moines, IA.
I understand the 2010 National Convention is planned to be in Minneapolis, MN.
Marlys, would this be much different than this year, with the National in St. Louis and the Regional in Chicago?

Renaldo....you could sit with us if you like :)

Here is a sneak peak at what you could see at the meeting on Sunday. Seedling started 12/08:

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Trudy. :P

Beautiful seedling :cool: - can't wait to see it and more in person. I'm sure you'll do just fine as a speaker. :D

That's what I was thinking about conventions too, Trudy. And if you recall, in 2004 the national was in Des Moines & the regional was in Dubuque. I somehow managed to get to both that year. Hopefully I'll be able to get to both this year, but I won't know until closer to the time. Not sure that I can afford the national even though it isn't that far away...
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Marlys

It's A Miracle

Post by Marlys »

Yippee :!:

It's a long story but I get Sunday off from my real job :D & get to attend the ROHS Spring mtg @ the Iowa Arboretum 8-)

I was moping around the ER so badly that a couple of co-workers took pity on me and traded hours with me :wink:

I'm so happy!
I didn't want to miss out on seeing/hearing all about Greg Johnson's latest trial plants, Trudy's newest sdlgs / introductions, plus Pepper 1 finally sharing all his hybridizing secrets! It should be a very good time :!:

Reldon please save me a seat, & Connie, & Ron, & David, & maybe Betsy, Robin, & Carl. Perhaps our entire neighborhood will show up. I just hope the :frosty: doesn't !

Trudy - you know all of us all ready, so speaking to us should be a piece of cake :idea: And you are aquainted with Greg & Gary all ready too so it will be easy & fun! When you talk about something you're passionate about, it's not hard at all. Just tell us your sdlg stories. :beer:

MM
JoshS

Post by JoshS »

Take lots of notes, Marlys :D
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Wish I could be there! That sounds like a great program, and it would be good to get together with all of you again.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Start headin this way, Linda!! :wink:

Good to hear that you'll be able to join us, Marlys!! :D

I think it's cuz of the looooonnnnnnngggg winter and now the delayed spring, but I can't WAIT for Sunday!!!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
pepper1
USDA Zone: 5

Post by pepper1 »

The ground is nice and white up here near Madrid this morning, but there hopefully will be nothing left of the 1-2" of snow by this afternoon!

It's great to hear that so many are planning on making the meeting tomorrow!

I too am looking forward to hearing about Trudy's and Greg's hostas! Trudy...the hosta in your picture looks very nice!

Safe travels everyone!

Gary
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Thanks Gary.....not much for me to talk about in Hosta Hybridizing, since the bees do all the work in our gardens.

I do look forward to hearing Gary and Greg talk as they probably do things a lot different than I do.

Linda....would be fun to have you join us....and you to Josh!

We had the last of my mom's auctions today, in the snow of course......the wind was so bad also, we are frozen.....I feel as if I am ready to hibernate. Cup of hot chocolate sure sounds good.

Where oh where is spring????
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

See everybody soon!!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Have fun everyone and be sure to tell us about it when you get home! (Good to see you back Renaldo)
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
Marlys

ROHS Spring Mtg

Post by Marlys »

The sunshine was wonderful today but the wind was so cold & snow still on the ground in sheltered spot. Yuck!

The mtg room @ Iowa Arboretum was warm and full of hosta friends, & there were lots of hostas also & the majority were all streaked plants. Every single plant was a seedling except the door prizes which were not hostas at all but beautiful just the same.

The food was wonderful. Reldon brought the most delicious salad. I asked for his recipe. The Pella crew brought Dutch Letters, Dutch rasin buns with dried beef & Dutch cheese, & Connie brought her now-famous spicy deer bolony with cheese in it. Yummy! (And we stopped stopped for ice cream on the way home.)

Trudy's speaking debut went well complete with pictures of many streaked sdlg babies that she starts on a grow rack in a small warm basement bathroom. It is sort of a mini-indoor greenhouse effect. Trudy's favorite open pollinated pod parent plants are Christmas Tree Gala, DB, Halcyon, Blue Jay, Sky Dancer & Twilight Time. We all got to see pictures of Trudy's min-hosta introductions 'Little Maddie' & 'Margaret May'. Trudy, you did GREAT! Thank you!

Gary Hoard aka Pepper 1 spoke to us about hand hybridizing & the traits he admires in a hosta most, red petioles extending into the leaf, streaked plants, ruffled leaf edges, & upright form. One Man's Treasure, Candy Dish, & Marilyn Monroe are 3 he likes for thier various inherited traits. Gary brought 3 flats of sdgls and gave them away. I brought 2 beautifully streaked sdlgs home with me. Thank you, Gary.

Greg Johnson is a member of ROHS. He has been hybridizing hostas for over 20 years. He did a slide show of several of his introductions: A Shady Affair (2004 national hosta convention plant), Twilight Time, Radio Waves, Judy Rocco, Tequila Sunrise, Rhythm & Blues, Lah-dee-dah, Sandhill Crane, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Lap Dance,Pacifica, Diddly Squat, Morning Glow, Marc Anthony, Stormy Weather, Everlasting Love (front cover of "The Hosta Handbook"), Topaz, Waukon Thin Ice, Mystic Star, Blue Haired Lady, Old Coot, Cherry Bomb, Moonlight Sonota (Greg's first introduction). Ode to Joy, Sweet Diversion, & Winner's Circle. Oh, yes, it was a very GOOD DAY!

Seeing hosta friends was still the best part. And Jeff aka Allnitro joined the ROHS and brought several of his beautiful streaked hostas with him & his lovely daughter. So glad you joined us, Jeff.

Reldon, I hope you got home ok.

MM
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks for the report, Marlys. It sounds like a good time was had by all! Dutch letters! I haven't had them in years.
I had to drive in the opposite direction yesterday, to Chicago. Maybe I can make the summer meeting. Marlys and I are working on a plan.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
JoshS

Post by JoshS »

Sounds like a great day! I can't wait to see everyone this summer.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I had a wonderful day too!! :D I made it home just fine, thankfully. When I got home, I couldn't get to the pc without pushing Sara out of the chair. [I managed to nudge her aside long enough to see that the Lakers won yesterday. It's he(( to have 2 passions that conflict with my schedule... :???: ] She looked like she was there for the long haul. :wink: And she was still in front of it when I called it quits & went to bed last nite... I didn't have the time or the coherence to post anything this morning. LOL

It was so good to see everybody again!! :D :P :D All the Pella group & Gary and Kathy & Gary's sister, Nancy. And as always it was so much fun to give Marlys crap. :wink: 7 months since the last time I had a chance to do that - too long. LOL And I met another forum member - Jeff/allnitro - for the 1st time so that was :cool: It's always good to be able to put a face with a screen name.

Jeff brought some of his seedlings and so did Trudy. Theirs were all good sized - some with scapes already. :o And Gary brought a bunch of his seedlings for the taking too. Some w/red petioles & some w/streaks. Thanks, Gary!! :P

The talks with photos that Gary and Trudy and Greg Johnson gave were each interesting & a lot of fun. 3 different approaches. But each works for them.

Greg Johnson has been hybridizing for 20 years. He said that he got good advice when he started from Herb Benedict and Russ O'Harra. I enjoyed hearing his thoughts on what he hopes to achieve with various crosses. Several of the blue hostas he's introduced weren't a lot different from others on the market, but the significant difference was their fast growth rates. Some crosses turn out the way he'd hoped while others yielded some unexpected results. One example was crossing 2 plants with white flowers and getting a dark lavender flowered offspring. [Can't remember the parents or the plant he mentioned now.] Unlike Marlys, I didn't take any notes yesterday. She made some remark about not needing to with my photographic memory.....and as you can already see I don't have one. LOL But that brings me to the sister seedling of Tequila Sunrise that I can't recall the name of either. :wink: It has a more ovate shaped leaf that's also rippled and has white undersides like TS. Very appealing hosta to me 8-) & I would think a lot of other people as well. He said it was in some gardens, but it has never been put into TC.

He also showed several sports that have occurred in his garden from crosses he made. One that looks really interesting with a lot of potential is a sport of the streaked version of Moonlight Sonata. It's a creamy yellow centered plant that he's still waiting to stabilize - it's still has a somewhat streaky center on some leaves. Another interesting story he related was about the cross that resulted in Everlasting Love and Topaz. He'd been hoping to get a blue leaved plant with yellow margins, but he didn't quite get what he wanted even though he got 2 nice plants that were both released for sale. But now 20 years after that cross, Bob Axmear had Topaz sport with a yellow edge. It's called 'Waukon Thin Ice' and is available this year from Naylor Creek. Greg said Bob's plant is what he'd hoped for originally & now he has it. Just not the way he expected. :wink: He also showed a number of his newer plants that are currently in TC at Q&Z or will be in the next few years. And I believe one of his plants is in production at Walters Gardens. C.H. Falstaad had seen it in his garden in 2000 & kept asking him when he was going to do something with it. One of the new ones in TC looks very similar to Bridegroom which someone mentioned. There is a key difference though - Greg's plant is 3 feet tall and about 4 feet across. :o :cool: I definitely need that one when it's available!!

He had a handout that he had available is for potential hosta breeders. It lists a number of different traits to breed for so that you can have a clearer picture of what you hope to achieve with different crosses for individual plants and a breeding program. Again my memory is bad & I don't remember what he said the parents of a cross were. But he expected to get certain characteristics from the cross - and didn't. I'm pretty sure that I would have just heaved them onto the compost pile. But he didn't - he crossed them with each other the next year. And the traits that resulted from those crosses were what he'd orginally been expecting to see from the original cross. So you never quite know what you'll get from crosses even if you think you do. And not that I'd ever advocate keeping every green seedling, but he did say that Bob Solberg pulled what he named One Man's Treasure out of Dr. Herb Benedict's compost pile.

All in all it was a wonderful hosta day!!! :cool: :D :cool:

As my daughter says: It's good for you to be among your own kind.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Good report, Renaldo. Sara knows you so well. :D You almost made up for 8 months of not posting. :D I don't believe all those compost pile stories.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Yes she does. LOL Thanks, Mary Ann. :)

Well they do make for a good story whether there's any truth to them or not. I always liked the story that is in the Hosta Handbook about 'Kerplunk' - the sound that a Kabitan seedling made when it landed in a ravine where Herb Benedict tossed it. He eventually thought better of it & retrieved it. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply