A few from today - April 26

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

A few from today - April 26

Post by caliloo »

I decided to get a couple of photos before the T-Storms with high winds, hail, locusts, plagues, cats, dogs, etc start.....

This is just elegant IMHO. It is rapidly heading into the top 10 for me..... Niagara Falls

LS Kaliedoscope is dramatic...

My problen children survived the winter! Top - Ice Age Trail, upper right - Fair Maiden, bottom Island Charm.

And a blue seedling of mine in its 3rd season. I have never seen such heavy corrugation in person and there is more each day!

Thanks for looking everyone!
Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

That seedling does have some very nice corrugation. Do you know the parents? I have an OP Northern Exposure seedling that I moved from the So-So-Seedling bed into the yard last year. It's from 2000, and has been getting more and more corrugated every year. I love the bumples!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
barbara

Post by barbara »

Love Springtime hostas :D Nice, Alexa, thanks for sharing
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Lookin good, Alexa!! :P Hope none of them got hit by a falling cat or dog.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Very nice pictures!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Niagara Falls is a very ellegant hosta.
mine are long spikes now, waiting to unfurl :D

That seedling look great 8-) How old is it ?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Beautiful!! How was the storm? Mine were hit with hail the first couple week they were up. :evil:

Your LS Kaliedoscope looks different than mine. Mine's flat on the ground I noticed yesterday and thought it was weird. Wonder if it has something to do with last years freeze? I'll get a pic tomorrow.

I've killed 2 Fair Maidens and 1 IAT!! :roll:
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Thansk everyone :)

Unfortunately, I do not know the parents of the blue seedling. I lost ALL my info when my hard drive died a couple of years ago and we were unable to retrieve the data. Can you say external backup device now? :oops:

Thankfully, the storm wasn't bad, Lots of rain and wind but no damage to be seen. The hostas look pretty happy this morning after the drenching.

Baja - I thought I was going to lose both Island CHarm and Fair Maiden. Both were really struggling in the ground and have done MUCH better in pots. IAT was a tiny TC baby 2 years ago and spent a year in the ground barely growing. I moved it into the pot and it really put on some good growth.

I've noticed that keeping them in the thick styrofoam pots really does provide great insulation for the roots and they are much less problematic when wintered over that way.

Thanks for looking everyone - I will have updated photos soon!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Those are great pics! I love that Niagra falls...really eye catching.

I love your potters with the several smaller hostas all in one pot. I think I am going to do the same thing for some of the hostas from last year that came back up as just one or two little eyes. Thanks for the idea!
Jaime
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

They look great Alexa! :P Looking at yours, I know I made a great choice by deciding to take Niagara Falls with me.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply