Drought toll

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Becky in TN

Drought toll

Post by Becky in TN »

As I am cleaning my garden beds I am saddened by how many hostas are less then half their size from last year and the amazing number that are yet to be seen. Perhaps some are being very late due to last year's stresas or I may have lost between 40 - 50 hostas.
I keep telling myself they are only plants. Sure diminished my desire to keep acquiring hostas. I may be finding myself in maintaining the garden mode.

Anyone else feeling the bite of last year's late and long freeze followed by the long drought?

Becky in TN
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

We moved right before the late freeze last year. Of the 15 or so hostas I brought with me in pots I lost all but 2.

Didn't stop me from wanting more though. Just meant I could get new varieties and not worry so much about the ones that I bought and didn't really like as much (not as vigorous for me, etc.).
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Last year was the first year of my 'hosta craze'. Since I was new to acquiring them, I dont have that many varieties, and was very excited to see them get a second year under their belt this summer. I lost 4-5, and a few that were small last year, but look like they may be even smaller.

Im probably going to round up all the tiny one eyed ones and put them in a pot together this summer. And like TKzone7 says, it will give me an opportunity to plant new ones.

Fingers crossed that this summer will be better on our gardens...I would like to see some established hostas in the next few!
Jaime
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Becky - I feel your pain. I lost only a few to the drought, but I have several that are much smaller this year than last.

Jeff
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Mine are in the early stages of waking up but there are some I suspect I lost to last year's drought. Whirlwind is one of those. We seem to be heading into the same weather pattern as last year so we may have a second year of drought. To avoid some of the problems I've been working watersorb crystals into the soil under plants I'm moving or bringing in new this year. So far I haven't done this with hostas yet. Has anyone tried this method? The plants I have put the crystals under have transplanted without showing any stress.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Becky, I didn't loose any due to drought, but I've lost about 15. They look like they rotted. One of them was one you sent me in one of the trades last year. Lakeside Blue Jeans. :(
I'm gonna guess about 50-70% of mine are way smaller this year and I figured that was because of the Easter freeze. :cry:
Don't give up tho!! :P
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Sorry to hear about that Becky. I am still hopeful about the late risers though. I know you are further south than me but I will still be hopeful you will see a few more emerge for you.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
jody

Post by jody »

We didn't get the late freeze in my VA garden... but the drought! :eek: :cry:

Last year for various reasons I was not able to be in the garden from mid July until this spring. I lost probably about the same as you to drought, they just weren't established enough to be able to withstand it. We literally got not one drop of rain from about mid May until about Oct. Even all the "thunder showers" missed us... There are quite a few that are smaller this year too.

However; with as many hosta as I have planted and to only lose about 40 I guess I can't complain too much :wink: It also gives me the opportunity to get new ones that I may not have had room for until new beds are made (which won't be any time too soon!) :D And... there are many others that are much larger and continued to grow and flourish despite the drought.

Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised with some later risers and nice growth on lots of yours too.

I sure hope this year gives us plenty of rain.
Hostahaveum

Post by Hostahaveum »

Sorry for your losses , I understand how you feel. A few years ago hubby was gonna "help" me in the gardens ...he took a bucket of weed killer he "thought" was fertilizer & gave each hosta at least a cup :eek: I only had unulutas back then but had been dividing them from one to about 120- it took me ten years, to encircle our home. He had watered it all in & about a week or 2 later I came in & said wow I don't know whats happening all my hosta are sick??? He said hmm maybe they didn't like the fert I gave um?? I said fert?? where did you get it we went out & yup it was weed killer :o :eek: Truth be told I went in my room & actually cried for a while, then I said dig um up- replant in fresh soil - & water the bejesus out of them !! I worked , we got back to the same amount after 2 years. Some times they look dead & you think they are lost & lo & behold they show up the next season out of the blue!
Hostahaveum
New Topic Post Reply