Quick note about frost protection

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Quick note about frost protection

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

As we are all ready to face a frost/freeze potential at some point I wanted to mention that the earlier you get things covered the more heat will be captured for the plants. So if you get a sunny day before the frost, cover early and you will capture some of the warmth.

Also, things like sheets and blankets protect much better than plastic, but if you do use plastic make sure none of it touches the plants. With sheets and blankets just throw them over the plants - those can touch.

Finally, if things are well watered the damage won't be as severe, and if things are actually wet and you are only supposed to touch freezing (say 31 to 33 degrees) then the moisture will protect things.

Good luck!

Chris
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

All good notes. I'll be programming the irrigation tonight to cycle on and off thru the night. We're supposed to hit 30 degrees. The woods/trees/leaves should help trap the heat too.
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

Thanks Chris, your post makes me feel a bit better. Maybe my hostas won't turn to mush after all. I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER CRAPPY HOSTA YEAR LIKE LAST YEAR!!!! :x :wink:
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks Chris! I was just on my way outside to see what I can get covered.

I was going to start with the plants that have started to unfurl (or already are), because the freeze makes the leaves look so awful.

For those whose eyes have just emerged, is it as important? Or more important?

Fortunately I have lots of old sheets that I just got done using as dropcloths while painting, so I'll use those.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Dodged that bullet! 36º this morning. -Whew- One more night to go.
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Well, I was going to see how the hosta survived on their own this year...but I gave in and covered up the taller ones with the hoops and plastic, and others with chopped leaves. Good thing I did - got down to 27 degrees last night. And supposed to be down to 24 degrees tonight, so will drag out the rest of the hoops/plastic and cover the rest. Just couldn't help myself...this will be their 7th full year, and some of the big ones should be HUGE this year (if I can keep them frost-free).

wanda
twoblackdogs

Post by twoblackdogs »

This morning it was 35@ 5:30 and dipped to 33 @ 6:30. Everything was heavily watered at 5:30, so should be ok. Though NWS has issued a freeze warning for most of southern lower Michigan tonight, so I'll have to bribe my boys to help cover things up. HOPEFULLY the only time this spring....

My bird folklore says that this should be it - my Junco's are gone from the birdfeeder, the Chipping Sparrows are here, I've seen Warblers and a really cold Hummingbird.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

There was some light frost in the open areas here last night, but even the most exposed and fully leafed out hostas look fine this morning. But the frost blankets are going on early this afternoon. We only have enough to cover about 3/4 of an acre, so next year's crop of hostas will have to fend for themselves. However, since it has been very dry and we haven't been watering, most plants are still just eyes peeking out of the ground. Those should be fine :)

Good luck everyone!
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Thanks for the info and the heads up! We just barely missed the frost this morn...it was 33 degrees and it must have rained some through the night, everything was pretty moist this morning.

I'll have to check the forcast this afternoon to see if we will get close again tonight or not.

Good luck keeping your plants covered everyone!
Jaime
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

OUCH! The irrigation coated everything in a sheet of ice this morning. Theres some signs of frost-bitten leaves on a lot, but mostly it looks ok. Nothing looks completely taken down by the freeze (except the magnolia blooms) I'm guessing we hit 29-30º last night.
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Well, its 8am and only 23 degrees. No frost on the ground, so may be ok. Covered just a couple more beds last night - ran out of time. Hoping the rest are ok!

For the next week looking better - lows in the high 30s to high 40s.

wanda
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Dodged a bullet here. It went down tot he low 30's but even though there was frost in the open areas, all the hostas under the trees are fine. There is more leaf cover from the trees than I thought. WHEW!

Sorry for those who were hit harder :(

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

I hope no one got hit too hard or had too much frost damage overnight :(

We woke up to a little bit of a frost this morning, but I was able to get out yesterday and cover almost everything up. Got my hostas and some of the new plants covered up good, everthing else can stand up to the weather.

Im hoping that we wont see too many more nights of below freezing temps.
Jaime
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

We lucked out here last night in Cleveland, got down to about 37. I think it will be one of the best springs here in years.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I hope you're right , Dave! I know I was happy to see no frost on the ground this morning. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

We had a record low of 27 here early this morning, We run the sprinklers all night, on one garden and covered some of the rest, the sprinklers made ice crystals and we had winter wonderland in the garden, it was pretty, and it looks like no damage.
Lucille
New Topic Post Reply