Goodnight, Sleep Tight

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Goodnight, Sleep Tight

Post by JaneG »

After supper I went out and tucked in the hostas for the night! They are under their sheets/blankets/buckets and we'll see how they fared come morning. Here are pics of the front of the house and back in the holding bed. The rest of the beds look pretty much the same! Do yours look like this tonight?

Hopefully they will survive the night. I have a lot of Lancifolia that are big and fully leafed out, but didn't have enough blankets to get to them, so have to hold their own tonight.
Attachments
The back holding bed with plants that were moved from my old house last fall.  Big ones under buckets and smaller ones under blankets in the background.
The back holding bed with plants that were moved from my old house last fall. Big ones under buckets and smaller ones under blankets in the background.
Front of the house.   Hostas between the bushes in front of the porch and in the background is a jap maple under a blanket.  He lost a lot of leaves to a late frost last year, didn't want it to happen again.
Front of the house. Hostas between the bushes in front of the porch and in the background is a jap maple under a blanket. He lost a lot of leaves to a late frost last year, didn't want it to happen again.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

It didn't get down to freezing last night...but just by a degree or two. And that was not the forcast. It was supposed to stay in the low 40's, but got colder than expected I think. If the forcast is similar my lawn will look a lot like that tonight.

We sure learned a good lesson last year with the spring freeze, huh? Several of my hosta look as if they will be smaller this year than last. :cry: I'll be tucking mine in too when the temps start to get low.
Jaime
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

This is the third year in a row that we've had these frosts. Just in case I have any damage this year, I'm glad I won't have to look at it. :oops: :lol: I moved all 40 pots to the garage yesterday morning so they wouldn't have any frost damage.

Hope you made out okay Jane!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Wouldn't you know it . . . when I go out and cover everything the weather forecasters are wrong! I never saw the temps get below 36 overnight and there wasn't a speck of frost this morning. I went out and uncovered everything this morning.

But don't you know, we'll probably get an unexpected freeze and I won't have everything covered! :roll: That's the way it usually goes with me! :lol:

:lol: PeggyC, I guess one of the advantages of your Texas move is no more worrying about early/late freezes!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

My yard looks like someone gave Picasso and Dali 30 hoops houses to set up after a night of hard partying (hehe)! All but two of my beds are curves, so the hoops with plastic covers are in somewhat surreal shapes. Only set up some yesterday, but will put them all up today - supposed to be in the low 20s tonight.

wanda
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

We dodged the bullet here last night, too, Jane! I covered my potted ones and set the hose with the sprinkler ready for the few beds that are far enough away from the house to catch frost...didn't get that cold and also we had a good stiff breeze thru the night... Whew!!!....I think this might have been our last possibility for exposure.

The weather people here keep saying that April 15 is our average last frost date around here and I don't know where they get that!!!! :o Ever since I have been gardening here in Kansas, we have a chance of frost thru about May 10!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you all!! Good luck, Wanda!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply